Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2011, 07:22 AM

2,186 posts, read 8,535,274 times

Advertisements

Kenmore Drop-In Bobbin Sewing Machine, Model 385.18221

Rating: 5 out of 5
  • Currently 5.0/5.0

This Kenmore sewing machine is a solidly made workhorse. I purchased it as a first sewing machine for myself, wanting a machine that would be easy to use, last, and grow with me as I became more experienced. This machine is just perfect. It has everything a beginner sewer needs, but is also able to meet the needs of those who are more advanced. For those just starting out, threading the machine, and winding and threading the bobbin are all simple, with easy to understand markings on the machine and an easy to follow instruction manual. The bobbin case allows you to easily drop in the bobbin, and the bobbin's clear cover with picture instructions helps you make sure it is set in correctly, as well as see how much thread remains without having to open in the case. The needle threader tool makes threading the needle a cinch.

This sewing machine has a powerful, quiet motor. It handles a variety of fabrics and runs very smoothly. It makes uniform stitches and sews over pins with no problem. I even used it to repair the fleece lining in a child's winter boot, and it did the job easily. It holds the fabric and moves it evenly and well under the foot, with practically no knotting, even when backstitching or working with flimsy fabric. The set-up allows you to easily manipulate the fabric around the needle, and the plastic housing around the bobbin is removable, which can make sewing into narrow pockets such as pant legs or sleeves a little easier. There are a variety of stitch length and tension presets available, which can both meet the demands of an advanced user as well as make choosing stitch length and tension simple for beginners. It also has selections which enable the user to easily make decorative stitches and buttonholes.

This Kenmore sewing machine is ergonomic, attractive, and solid. The plastic casing feels sturdy, unlike other machines that have a more flimsy feel to them. With a listing price of $149.99, this is an excellent choice for a machine that is a good fit for all skill levels. It is a reliable machine that will grow with you.

Review by professional reviewer, Aug. 25, 2011
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews