U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2011, 02:50 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,792,371 times

Advertisements

Mr. Coffee DRX5 4-cup Programmable Coffeemaker

Rating: 5 out of 5
  • Currently 5.0/5.0

I purchased the Mr. Coffee DRX5 4-Cup Programmable Coffeemaker ($27.99 MSRP) six months ago. Relatively inexpensive compared to other models with similar features, it is perfect for households with just one coffee drinker, or a couple of people who are satisfied with one mug of coffee per person. It's also great for people who drink coffee regularly but don't have a lot of counter space. Because it's so compact, it can stay on the countertop 24/7 without being obtrusive. I have used it moderately, an average of 3-4 times per week, since purchasing it. When I'm on a coffee kick, I may use it 2-3 times in a single day; when I'm not in the mood for coffee, it can sit unused for weeks at a time. This model comes in white or black. Mine is black, and it's pretty sharp looking. Sadly, whenever I don't use it regularly, it tends to collect dust, which shows up pretty visibly against the black. On the other hand, coffee granules and residue would stand out on a white machine, so I think black is a preferable color.

Some of the features I appreciate most about this coffeemaker:
- The water reservoir is visible, allowing you to gauge the water level as you pour, even without a measuring cup.
- The back of the coffeemaker includes a spot for cord storage, meaning you don't have to have a mass of cord piled up if your coffeemaker is placed near an outlet.
- The coffeemaker has a clock that allows you to set the coffeemaker up to 24 hours in advance. This is great for people who have a hard time getting up in the morning and like to have hot coffee waiting to help them wake up.
- The warmer automatically shuts off after one hour, so it keeps your coffee warm if you wake up a little late or get caught up in a task that keeps you from pouring your cup right away. Since it shuts off, you don't have to worry about having a hot appliance running all day if for some reason you neglect to pour your coffee altogether.
- There is a light that shows whether the pot is on or off. If it is plugged in, the clock is always on, but the light lets you know that coffee is brewing or being heated by the warming plate.

Replacement decanters are available online for $12.99 MSRP, so if you happen to break the one that came with the machine, you don't necessarily have to purchase a new coffeemaker.

I have no complaints with this coffeemaker. While its small size would render it unsuitable for use by more than one or two coffee drinkers, it is just the right size for a person or two. The price of this coffeemaker is competitive with others boasting similar features, making it an excellent choice for people who are watching their wallets.

Jennifer Lunday

Review by professional reviewer, Aug. 25, 2011
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews