U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2011, 12:32 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,477,666 times

Advertisements

Victorinox 11-Piece Rosewood Knife Set with Block

Rating: 4 out of 5
  • Currently 4.0/5.0

This attractive set from Victorinox features warm, polished handles made from rosewood. Its list price is $430, making it a good budget-conscious choice for cooking enthusiasts. I was lucky enough to receive one of these sets as a wedding gift, and was immediately impressed by a number of its features.

The set itself contains 11 pieces in total- 8" and 10" carving knives, a 3" paring knife, 6" fillet knife and 8" serrated bread knife, four steak knives, a steel sharpening rod and a handsome wood block to store them in. I am not overly well versed in the language and providence of expensive knives, but do know this set to be made of a high-carbon content steel which is supposed to keep a better edge and be easier to sharpen than standard stainless steel.

I found these knives both diverse and easy to use. While there are certainly larger sets available, this ensemble contains enough knives in varying sizes to meet the needs of the average cook. The rosewood handles are soft and comfortable to grip, and place far less stress on your hands during extensive chopping and preparation than cheaper sets I've owned in the past. The knives have a good weight to them, without being too heavy, and are nicely balanced.

In terms of durability, I have been fully satisfied with this set. After two years of frequent (almost daily) use, I have noticed little to no dulling of the blades on all knives except for the bread knife. The serrated bread knife is probably the one I use most frequently, and I must admit I'm not entirely sure how to approach sharpening it. The set did come with a user guide that details the sharpening process and how to use the sharpening rod that came with it, but I don't know if a serrated knife can be done in the same fashion and am unsure if the guide addresses this.

Regardless, even the bread knife cuts very well despite the slight dulling. I am entirely satisfied with this set, and it provides high quality results with a moderate price tag.

Review by professional reviewer, Aug. 25, 2011
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews