Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2011, 12:53 PM

2,186 posts, read 8,545,946 times

Advertisements

Coleman Elite WeatherMaster 6-Person 2-Room Tent

Rating: 4 out of 5
  • Currently 4.0/5.0

By far the largest tent I have ever owned, this Coleman measures 9 feet wide and 17.5 long and is divided into a main sleeping chamber and a screened front room. It carries a retail list price of $299.99, and is quite a bit of tent for the money.

The first thing that impressed me about this tent is the ease of setup. The poles are solid, but not too heavy, and the sleeves they go into are continuous rather than separate loops- making them very easy to slide in. The entire setup process took my husband and I 30-45 minutes at a leisurely pace, which isn't bad for a tent of this size. Assembly is very straight forward and we were able to put it up our first time without referencing the instructions. The rain fly was very easy to attach as well.

The main sleeping chamber is very large- big enough for a queen size inflatable mattress, with plenty of room to spare. The front room is a little smaller, but still plenty big enough for a small folding table and chairs, which is very handy for staying dry in rainy weather. My family owns two large dogs that always come camping with us, so the spaciousness inside this tent is great.

Zippers on the doors and windows are very easy to operate and have held up well to repeated use. The door on this tent is unlike any I've seen before- it has its own small rod that forms a solid pivoting door piece, rather than just a soft flap as on most tents. I absolutely love this feature, as it makes it very easy to get in and out without having to fiddle with the zipper every time- you can leave it unzipped and simply close the door and it is heavy enough not to blow open on its own.

Another neat feature is the number of hooks and attachments along the inside of the tent roof. There are a number of loops and hooks for hanging lanterns and jackets up to dry. It also has its own built in roof light for illumination of the sleeping chamber.

The only feature I dislike on this particular model are the anchor hooks that came with it for fixing the tent to the ground. They are thin and flimsy, and we bent several of them the first time we used this tent. I was nervous how they would perform in a good wind, so I ended up buying heavy duty replacement spikes to replace the ones it came with and have been much more satisfied with their performance.

Review by professional reviewer, Aug. 25, 2011
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews