U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2011, 12:53 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,642,752 times

Advertisements

Emerson MW9107WC - 1.1 cu. ft. Microwave Oven With Touch Control And Omni Wave(TM) Cooking System

Rating: 4 out of 5
  • Currently 4.0/5.0

I purchased Emerson's 1.1 cu. ft. microwave oven ($89.99 MSRP) seven or eight months ago. It was one of the few white microwaves I was able to find, a color I desired based on the cabinetry and other appliances in my kitchen. It was also one of the largest microwaves I identified in my price range ($100 or less), and it is the largest microwave in Emerson's collection. Initially selected for its color and size, it is now appreciated because it is easy to use and easy to clean.

My favorite feature of the microwave is its one-touch cooking. If you want to heat a dish for 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6 minutes, all you have to do is press the number button corresponding to the number of minutes you'd like to cook the dish. I find that the one-touch system works well for reheating foods. Even if I am melting butter or performing another heating task that takes less than one minute, I just press "1" and wait stop the microwave when the item has been cooked long enough.

Some microwaves have flimsy panels on the inside, but this machine does not. While the hot plate and its mounting gear are removable, everything else inside the oven is solid and remains in place during cleaning. A washcloth or sponge is great for cleaning up spills and splatters just after they occur, but if you let the food set, you'll have to use a bit of elbow grease to get it out, which can be awkward when it comes to messes on the ceiling and walls of the machine.

The one downside of this microwave is that it does not always heat foods evenly. Vegetable soup, chili and casseroles are dishes that commonly turn out partially cold and partially hot. I don't know if this is a problem with most or even all microwaves, but it is certainly a problem with this one. With a bit of stirring throughout the cycle, the dishes turn out evenly heated, but it would be nice if the stop-and-stir step could be left out.

While I would love it if certain dishes could be heated more evenly, I am happy with the overall performance of the microwave. The machine has not had any major problems or malfunctions during the time I have had it. It is big enough to hold most of the things I want to heat, including large mixing bowls, and is easy to use and clean. If you are looking for a reasonably priced microwave oven that is moderate in size, this is one to consider.

Jennifer Lunday

Review by professional reviewer, Aug. 25, 2011
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews