U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2011, 11:55 AM

2,186 posts, read 7,465,292 times

Advertisements

Vicks V9075 True Hepa Air Purifier

Rating: 3 out of 5
  • Currently 3.0/5.0

The list price for this unit is $49.99, which places it in the cheapest range for air purifiers. It is a small unit intended for a single room. The Hepa filter advertises an ability to capture 99.9% of airborne pollutants, such as pollen, dust and pet dander.

I purchased one of these units two years ago, and it was the first air purifier I have ever owned. Our household includes several pets, and both my husband and I suffer from occasional sinus irritation. I was curious to see if the addition of a purifier to our house would result in any reduction of sinus-related issues. I placed the unit in our bedroom and we did notice a marked improvement in air quality. The purifier isn't very big, and fit nicely on top of a dresser.

The only issue with this unit is the noise- while it is advertised as being quiet, within a week of purchase we began to notice a periodic rattling sound emanating from the purifier. It sounds as if a bearing or fan has come loose and is vibrating during operation, resulting in a buzzing noise. It was not terribly loud, but loud enough that I was driven to remove it from the bedroom and place it downstairs. We then purchased a different, quieter purifier for our room.

The unit continues to function well, despite the loose bearing and I still consider it a good buy. Even in a large open area like the living room it still performs nicely, and does a great job of clearing away cooking smells and pet odors. It also does a great job of absorbing flying pet dander, which is wonderful in a multiple pet household. Unfortunately, the unstable construction has me nervous as to just how long this unit will remain functional. In the two years I've owned this purifier the buzzing noise has continued to come and go, sometimes louder than others. I feel it's only a matter of time before it burns out and will need replacing.

Review by professional reviewer, Aug. 25, 2011
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews