U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2011, 05:06 AM

2,186 posts, read 7,526,855 times

Advertisements

DeLonghi EC5 Four Cup Steam Espresso Maker

Rating: 3 out of 5
  • Currently 3.0/5.0

The DeLonghi EC5 Four-Cup Steam Espresso Maker is a budget-friendly at-home espresso maker. I bought this with the hopes of saving a bundle of money on gourmet coffee from expensive coffee shops, but never really got the hang of using it. It steams when making espresso, which is perfectly normal, but I was not prepared for it and was initially worried something was wrong with the machine. Once I was comfortable with the process, the espresso I made still was not comparable in taste to what I purchase ready-made at cafes. With some practice, the machine may produce great espresso and the fault I have found with it could be due to my own inexperience. The machine is very sturdy and while I did shatter to small glass pot that came with it, I have been able to substitute ceramic cups that have worked just as well. There are replacement carafes available for under $10.

The machine is steam-driven and has two spouts so you can fill two cups with espresso simultaneously. Safety features include a steam-pressurized cap, an on-off indicator light and a heat-resistant carafe. The machine is easy to clean with a removable drip tray. There is a one-year manufacturer limited warranty. The machine is fairly small at just under 12" all around, but it is oddly shaped and bulky, making it difficult to store.

The machine has a sleek, modern look which was ideal for my newly updated kitchen. The espresso produced by the machine does taste good, even if it is not up to par with the work of professional baristas. The foam arm makes it possible to create lattes and other foam drinks, but using it can be confusing and it will take some trial and error to get the effect coffee drinkers are looking for. If I were going to change some things about the espresso maker, I would install a timer, add a built-in grinder and a warmer. It can be a challenge shopping for espresso ground to the right consistency and I would like a chance to sample some options at home. A cup warmer would allow you to make espresso without having to drink it right away.

Review by professional reviewer, Aug. 25, 2011
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews