U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2011, 08:11 AM

2,186 posts, read 7,790,149 times

Advertisements

DeLonghi EC155 Espresso Maker

Rating: 4 out of 5
  • Currently 4.0/5.0

I have another espresso machine that I bought for myself. This one was given to me by a non-coffee drinker who got it as a wedding gift. A lovely gift, so I have used it, but it's not my everyday machine. The main reason I don't use it every day is that it takes up a little bit more space than my regular one, and counter space is at a premium in my apartment.

I had to get used to the fact that this is a pump-action espresso maker, which mine is not, but it wasn't a big deal for me. The espresso it produces is very, very good and it makes a lot of crema, which is wonderful. I make cafe con leche, which is a Cuban coffee similar to a latte, so crema is really important. I have to admit that my regular machine can be unreliable in this area.

There are a few reasons that I prefer to use my other, less expensive machine for every day. I find the machine a little awkward, for one thing. The steam wand is a little short, so you have to maneuver the cup a little when frothing your milk. Also, there isn't much room between the basket and the grate, so you really do have to brew right into an espresso cup, and a small one at that. I find that a little irritating, but it might not bother others.

I'm giving the machine a high rating because of the espresso, though. It really is an excellent cup of coffee, irritants aside. It also brews more than my usual machine- about 8 coffees, as opposed to 4. This is why I usually bring this one out when I have company.

This is an excellent machine for the mid-range price point.

Review by professional reviewer, Aug. 25, 2011
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews