Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2011, 02:43 PM

2,186 posts, read 8,598,864 times

Advertisements

LG Electronics 65-Pint Dehumidifier, Model LD650EAL

Rating: 3 out of 5
  • Currently 3.0/5.0

I purchased this dehumidifier for the basement of my old home after significant flooding. When a different brand dehumidifier failed the day of purchase, I returned it and purchased the LG instead. Enough water had gotten into the basement that mold had already started to grow, and with no central air conditioning in our home, the entire house was full of summer post-flood humidity. The LG fired up, and the air in the basement felt significantly drier after only eight or so hours of use. The casters on the unit run very smoothly, and the dehumidifier could be moved from room to room very easily.

The unit is designed to remove 65 pints of water from the air every 24 hours. It has a large bucket for collecting the water, or a hose for drainage. You can operate the unit by selecting the desired humidity level, or you can set it to operate in two- or four- hour increments. There is a clear beep that sounds and a red LED to indicate when the bucket is full and needs to be emptied. The air filter is washable, and the manual recommends that it be washed every two weeks. One major feature this dehumidifier is missing is a current humidity level display, so there is no way to know what the current humidity level is.

This dehumidifier has taken a real beating, and it still continues to operate and remove humidity from the air. It ran nearly nonstop for weeks, drying up my very large basement. I initially had it running raised up on a short ledge to keep it off the floor in case more flooding occurred. While I was pulling out the water container, the entire unit fell to the ground. I was confident it would no longer work, but after righting it again and turning the power on, the LG started up and continued to work. This dehumidifier is very sleek looking and runs quietly enough for being kept in a basement. It is simple to use and has a clear keypad and digital readout. The water reservoir pulls out easily and is easy to carry. It can be a little stubborn to put back in, however.

Overall, this LG dehumidifier works reasonably well, is easy to use, and appears to be very sturdily built. The unit I own runs often in the dry winter and nearly nonstop in the humid summer and fall. This makes me wonder if it either does not run very efficiently or perhaps has a faulty humidity sensor. Additionally, the lack of a humidity level display is an inconvenience, especially for a dehumidifier at this price point.

Review by professional reviewer, Aug. 25, 2011
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews