Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2011, 03:40 AM

2,186 posts, read 8,606,598 times

Advertisements

Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500 Dedicated Document Scanner

Rating: 3 out of 5
  • Currently 3.0/5.0

I work at home and always have to scan documents into my computer to ship them off to clients. The problem is, I absolutely hate scanning! I used to have an older HP scanner that would require me to line up the paper perfectly, then eliminate white space on the scanned document, and do many other things with the finished product that took up way too much of my time. When my old HP died, I was determined to invest in a scanner that would do all the hard work for me, and quickly knock all that scanning off my to-do list. That's when I found the Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500 Dedicated Document Scanner. I can now say that scanning is one of my favorite things to do in my home office!

The biggest 'must-have' on my wishlist for my new scanner was an automatic feed. I could no longer stand at my computer trying to line up paper edges and manually feeding each page into the scanner one at a time. This Fujitsu of course, has an automatic feed and it will feed up to 50 pages at a time, which is more than enough for my small office needs. It is important to note that the scanner does seem to jam pretty easily if you stuff too much paper in there at once. I usually put in ten sheets or so at a time, and add more as the machine feeds paper through. Still not as hands-free as I had imagined but once I figured that out, the jams stopped occurring.

Another thing I wanted in my new scanner was the ability to use software with it that didn't come with the actual machine. My last HP had dedicated software and when I lost the disk, I was without a scanner for a little while. Unfortunately, this scanner does not allow third-party software to be used with it but I now always make sure I know where that backup disc is! I also found while I was shopping that scanners that are compatible with third-party software also seem to cost much more.

Many people also complain that this scanner does not allow for pictures to be scanned, and that is true. But I find that I never need to scan photos anyway because I put those directly on my computer through my camera's memory card so that's not really a problem for me.

I did find that the scanner cost a bit more than I was hoping to spend. I was thinking that I was going to spend about $300 on my new scanner and the Fujitsu ScanSnap cost me $440. But I do think it will last me a long time and the automatic feed feature was so important to me that it was worth every penny to me, and still is!

Review by professional reviewer, Aug. 25, 2011
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews