Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2011, 02:19 PM

2,186 posts, read 8,606,598 times

Advertisements

KitchenAid K45SS Classic 250-Watt 4-1/2-Quart Stand Mixer

Rating: 4 out of 5
  • Currently 4.0/5.0

The mixing machine is certainly excellent for performing an occasional bread recipe, as well as for other light duties such as whipping cream, mixing mashed potatoes, etc, but in the event you utilize it to make heavy or dry breads on a regular schedule it is not really ideal. When We originally received the machine I loved it. I liked the high quality metallic construction, the provided accessories, and also the track record of the KitchenAid brand.

Over the first 12 months I had absolutely no trouble with the item. I used the device once almost every month or so; I tried several of the loaves of bread from the included recipe book. I genuinely enjoyed the machine, and it's really powerful for its rated 250 watts.

Then I bought this amazing book, The Bread Baker's Apprentice, by Reinhart. Only then did I understand how woefully inadequate this machine is for medium use. I started baking bread once a week, from a lighter ciabatta to heavy entire wheat breads and bagels.

The machine vibrates so significantly although mixing breads that I am afraid it's going to fall on the floor. The pin holding the tilt head on also works its way out, 1 of nowadays I am afraid it'll fall out as well as the mixer head will fall off. Whilst mixing dry doughs, like bagels, the motor strains so difficult that it occasionally stops for 1 second at a time and makes buzzing noises prior to it finally is able to knead the dough. This causes excess heat inside the motor that I am positive will trigger premature failure (it has the electrical burn smell afterwards).

Inside the last couple of months the machine has rapidly declined, and it's on its last limb. It's only a matter of time prior to the motor burns up or the gearbox fails. When it does fail I will possibly fix it and maintain it around as a meat grinder since it has the power take off unit which will run the meat grinder attachment. 1 of the nice things about these mixers is they're totally serviceable, but I will replace it with a DeLonghi (Kenwood) DSM7 that's much better suited for my kneads (pun intended).

As I said, this mixer is outstanding for light use, and for a single loaf (or 2 little loaves) of bread at a time. Should you intend to bake bread often, it would be wise to invest in some thing heavier duty. If I only employed it for light use, I would have rated it a 5.

Review by professional reviewer, Aug. 25, 2011
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews