Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2011, 03:19 PM

2,186 posts, read 8,548,711 times

Advertisements

Samsung DV209AEW 7.3 Cubic Foot Electric Dryer

Rating: 5 out of 5
  • Currently 5.0/5.0

I have had the Samsung DV209AEW 7.3 Cubic Foot Electric Dryer for 14 months. With an MSRP of $699, this dryer is an excellent value. While it is priced lower than similar machines, it offers a wealth of useful features that allow for effective, efficient drying. This product has been consistently reliable and easy to use. When I moved to another town several months ago, the dryer moved, too, and was easy to set up in the new location. Aside from being useful, the machine is quite good-looking. It is boxy with a rounded front. Wording on the washer is in gray, black and silver, giving the white machine a somewhat futuristic appearance.

The Samsung DV209AEW is packed with useful features. My favorite feature of this machine is that it possesses both sensor and manual options. The sensor is great because it is typically effective at ensuring that clothes have reached the appropriate level of dryness. In general, it does not stop before clothes are dry or continue after they are dry, making for an efficient process. My one complaint about the machine is that it is not effective at sensing the dryness level of comforters and large blankets. Whether the comforter is a king or a twin, this machine always assumes that it is dry when parts of it are still quite damp. On the bright side, the machine does have a feature that allows the user to set a specific dry time, rather than allowing the machine to stop the drying process when it senses the clothes are dry. In my experience, allowing a big blanket to dry for 60 minutes usually ensures that all parts of it are dry without causing the item to become overly dry. Many dryers are too small to dry a King comforter at all, so I suppose the fact that this one only does so on a manual setting should not be much of a mark against it.

Sensor options include Normal, Heavy Duty, Permanent Press, and Delicates. I use the Sensor feature for everything except blankets. Manual options include Time Dry, Wrinkle Release and Air Fluff. While I have never used Air Fluff, I regularly use Wrinkle Release to get the wrinkles out of clothes I was not able to fold and hang immediately after they became dry. Wrinkle Release effectively gets rid of the wrinkles in most items without causing the clothes to become overly dry. When you choose a setting, the machine sets parameters for other options in categories such as Dry Level (More Dry, Normal Dry, Less Dry), Temperature (High, Medium, Low, Extra Low), and Time (60, 50, 40, 30, 20 minutes). For instance, the Delicate cycle can only be run on Low, whereas Heavy Duty can only be run on High. The parameters allow users to choose options that will be safe and efficient for their laundry. The user is also able to choose the sound level for the alarm that sounds when the cycle is complete (Louder, Softer, Off). The alert is useful if you're working on other projects but want to be speedy about handling the freshly washed clothes.

All in all, the Samsung DV209AEW is a great machine at a great value. The features it possesses are useful and effective, though it does a poor job in assessing the dryness of large items, such as comforters.

Also, a word on pedestals: Typically, when you purchase a high-efficiency set of laundry machines, you also have the option of purchasing pedestals on which to place the machines. The pedestal that coordinates with this machine has been useful for raising the machine so that it is easier to use, but it has not been useful for storage (at least according to my needs). Bottles of fabric softener and detergent are typically too tall to stand in the drawer, and tipping them over would likely cause leaks. The drawers could be useful for storing towels, laundry bags, or dryer sheets, but because it requires bending down and pulling a drawer open, the location does not provide easy-access storage for items that are frequently used.

Jennifer Lunday

Review by professional reviewer, Aug. 25, 2011
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 02:23 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,804,975 times
wait till it breaks and try to get service on it and parts forget it. i have a friend that owns her own appliance store and she carried LG and samsung and she said they had problems getting the parts for em and sometimes an authourized service center to come out and look at em. bottom line is she stopped carrying em and told me there junk

Old 10-20-2013, 09:05 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,586,244 times
I had an appliance guy tell me he wouldn't replace the locking mechanism on my LG dryer (went bad in the first year) as he said it was too much of a hassle with all the electronics, etc., plus it was hard to get parts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews