U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2011, 02:38 AM

2,186 posts, read 7,777,153 times

Advertisements

Frigidaire Affinity FAFW3577KW Front-Load Washer

Rating: 3 out of 5
  • Currently 3.0/5.0

This is the first-front loading washer I have owned, and it definitely has its pros and cons. Retailing around $650, it falls in the mid-price range and offers features comparable to other brands.

Capacity is fine- 3.5 cubic feet, which is pretty standard. It offers a wide selection of wash settings from heavy duty to delicate, and you can either manually set the water level or have it determined automatically based on load size. Detergent, fabric softener and bleach are easy to load, in a tray that slides out of the upper-left front of the machine.

As with most front-loaders, this machine requires high efficiency detergent and uses less water than most top-loading washers. In the two years I have owned this unit I have washed everything from clothing to rugs to stuffed animals and used virtually every wash setting- items always come out clean and intact. It even handles large loads of heavy towels without difficulty.

Unfortunately, this model does have its drawbacks as well. Vibration is a huge issue- the spin cycle runs at a very high RPM, which results in wonderfully dry clothes but also causes the machine to rock quite a bit. I found that placing rubber stabilizer pads under the machine greatly reduced the amount of movement, but there is still a noise issue.

Secondly, the filter design on this machine is absolutely terrible. It is prone to sucking up large items, like children's socks, hair ties, bobby pins and other items left in pockets. If the filter clogs, the machine is unable to drain and will not function (giving you a persistent error message) until you remove and empty it. Getting to the filter is a huge headache- the machine must be turned over and a number of difficult, hard to reach clamps removed before you can pull out the rubber filter housing and remove the filter basket. The entire process is very unfriendly and I believe they designed it with the intention of forcing you to call a professional repair person. When this issue happened with my machine (after approximately one year of use) it took us nearly 4 hours to fix. We found close to a dozen bobby pins, a huge hair clog and a plastic ID card stuck in the filter. Getting it back in was as much of a pain as getting it out.

Given how difficult regular maintenance is on this machine, I would not purchase another like it. While it otherwise functions well, the filter issues are an absolute deal breaker.

Review by professional reviewer, Aug. 25, 2011
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews