U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2011, 10:14 AM

2,186 posts, read 7,780,786 times

Advertisements

Amana White 19 Cubic Feet Bottom Mount Refrigerator Model ABB192ZDEW

Rating: 5 out of 5
  • Currently 5.0/5.0

I originally bought the Amana White 19 Cubic Feet Bottom Mount Refrigerator because it was the cheapest refrigerator at the Home Depot where I bought it. It seemed to have all the features I was looking for, and why would I pay more for something when there was already something cheaper that fit the bill? So I ordered it and it came on the delivery truck just a few days later. I did have some minor concerns that when I brought it home I would find out it wasn't as user-friendly as I had first thought but my fears were unfounded. I have had no problems with the fridge since I got it and it looks beautiful in my kitchen!

One of the first things I noticed about the fridge, even when I was looking at it in the store, were the crispers. They are large enough to hold the large amount of produce that I buy, and they are clear so I don't have to open them and search around to find what I need. What I didn't know about the crispers until I got it home and looked in the Owner's Manual was that they also feature Garden Fresh. This is a humidity-control tool inside the crisper to make sure that there is not too much moisture and to prevent mould and mildew from forming. Although this feature is only two small tabs built onto the shelf to keep the crisper open a little bit, it works wonders and keeps food fresher for longer.

Changing the temperature when things get too hot or too cold in the fridge is also easy. The controls are at the very top shelf of the fridge when you open the door and they're right out in front, so you don't have to reach around in the back and work around the food trying to change the temperature. The controls are also digital so there's no more guesswork as to whether or not you're on number "4", number "5", or halfway in between.

While the crispers and the easy control temperature gauge are very user-friendly and make the fridge a delight to use, neither of them are what I like most about the fridge. That would be the freezer, which is located on the bottom and is equipped with a wire drawer basket that pulls right out. So again, you don't have to be reaching around to the back of the freezer, wasting energy and freezing your forearms, just to find something to make for supper. Pull out the drawer and everything is laid out right before you.

One of the reasons this fridge was marked so much cheaper than other fridges, even comparable Amana fridges, is because it has a hook-style handle rather than the full, elongated handle. While the manufacturer may see this as an inconvenience, I don't notice it at all when I open the door. What I do notice is the heavy suction that is on the door. It is incredibly strong and so you really need to pull on the door pretty hard in order for it to open.

Purchased new, this fridge was $943.20 at Home Depot, which is a very reasonable price for a fridge that is this modern-looking and that has so many features, especially compared to the pricier models that were on the floor with it. And, because it came with a one-year manufacturer's warranty, I know that I don't have to worry about anything going wrong with it, at least for a little while.

Review by professional reviewer, Aug. 25, 2011
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews