Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2014, 02:57 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,100,078 times

Advertisements

I've been on the hunt for a new vaccum for about a year and that's not even an exageration. I've probably been out vaccum shopping over a dozen times and everytime I'm in a big box store like Target, Walmart, or Home Depot I can't help but wander down the vacuum isle and see they have to offer.

m for about a year and that's not even an exageration. I've probably been out vaccum shopping over a dozen times and everytime I'm in a big box store like Target, Walmart, or Home Depot I can't help but wander down the vacuum isle and see they have to offer.
I finally decided on the Bissel Heavy Duty vacuum cleaner and could not be happier. Vacuums are certainly not the most exciting thing or most exciting purchase one could possibly make so the fact I'm sitting down writing a blog post to praise this vacuum should say something.

I'm a young professional in my late 20's so buying a household appliance like a vacuum cleaner that costs hundreds of dollars is certainly high on my to do list nor my things I want to spend my hard earned money on list, but none the less it's something I needed. With a large house, two dogs, and a girlfriend who is allergic to my two dogs it was a must I get a good vacuum.

I've been a homeowner for a number of years but none the less I'm not especially experienced at buying vacuums. It had also been pounded into my head by commercials as well as reading forums that a Dyson vacuum or at the very least a Shark vacuum was the only way to go. I've seen some demonstrations of the Dyson vacuum at Costco and though impressive I really have a hard time wrapping my head around paying $500-$700 for a vacuum, even if it is a long term investment. People do rave about their Dysons but I hear just as many complaints from people saying they went and bought a $100 Hoover and it cleaned just as well if not better or that the motor of the Dyson is strong but the cheap plastic parts break before the motor even has a chance to breakdown.

I had considered Hoover Wind Tunnel vacuums as I've read rave reviews but I had a Hoover Windtunnel T Series bagged vacuum my mother had bought me as a homewarming present shortly after buying my first house and the thing was terrible. I also used a friends high end Kenmore vacuum and that was junk as well.

Well I finally was walking through Walmart and saw some deals on marked down vacuums. I was deciding between a Eureka that claimed it was better than the Dyson at a fraction of the price but both Walmart reviews and Amazon reviews said otherwise with only three stars. I then stumbled upon this Bissel Heavy Duty.

This wasn't one of the vacuums I had been considering or had researched but it looked sturdy, it claimed to be better than the Dyson and not only did I like that it was called heavy duty but it also seemed heavy duty. My problem with the Hoovers was how light they are. I know some people value light weightness as it's easier to carry around, to store, etc. I even have seen the Hoover heavy duty marked down points on reviews for being heavy but I like a heavy vacuum. To me personally heavy means quality.

You can also tell just by using this vacuum, by touching it, by looking at it, and by pushing it that it's much better quality design and materials than other vacuums on the market. Rather than just having cheap light plastic wheels it has heavier duty plastic wheels, but they are also covered in rubber for better traction and better quality design.

I really can't say enough good stuff about this vacuum. It picked up tons dirt out of the carpet, my carpets are a totally different color after using this vacuum. This was also my first bagless vacuum and it was amazing seeing how much dirt and hair were in the cannister even after just doing half of a room.

This vacuum comes with a few tools as well, a brush, a crevice tool, and an upholstery brush. Though this vacuum is not marketed specifically as a pet vacuum or as having a pet upholstery brush, this brush was absolutely amazing at removing pet hair from couches, pillows, blankets and even clothes.

At first I was a little worried the brushes on the upholstery tool weren't very stiff they were relatively soft. I realie this is because it actually works like a whipping motion whipping pet hair off your upholstery and sucking it all up. I had spent hours with other upholstery tools and brushes working hard and trying to get pet hair with no avail, this tool quickly and easily removed literally every last hair.

Using it as an upright vacuum it actually fluffs my carpet, I can see the beater brush working. Though it doesn't necessarily get EVERY last hair, it does do an amazing job. Previously even after vacuuming I still had a layer of a dog hair carpet on top of my regular carpet. After using this vacuum you can see the occasional hair still in the carpet but you can actually pick out individual hairs here and there as opposed to seeing the entire carpet covered in a layer of dog hair.

Emptying the vacuum is relatively easy. I love how the Dyson vacuum has a one button push to empty the canister. The bisselisn't quite that easy, however it is just a tab that drops the bottom of the cannister out and empties the vacuum. My one complain is you do have to stick your hand or a brush or something in to clear out all the dust, junk and hair, however that's only a small complaint.

I really coudln't be anymore thrilled with this vacuum. I had considered some of the lift off or liftaway models which are trying to copy the Shark Navigator liftaway. It is a cool feature but the most snap off and removable parts the more likely something is to break and I also worry about how strong the seals are and how strong the suction will be with all these snap off and moveable parts so I stayed away from the Shark as well as the Bissel Lift Off Pet vacuum which had worese reviews than the heavy duty vacuum.

This Bissel Heavy Duty vacuum normally retails for $179, however Walmart had it marked down to $149. I was hoping to get something for $99 but am glad I spent the extra $49 and was thrilled with the performance of this vacuum.

It sounds corny to say but it's actually fun to vacuum with this vacuum. I'm sure the novelty will wear off soon enough, but it's actually a good feeling cleaning and actually seeing things get clean. With my old vacuum I never had that clean feeling or crisp look this Bissel Heavy Duty vacuum gives my carpets. At about a quarter of the price of a Dyson this vacuum is AWESOME and I've been recommending it to everyone I know.

Now in fairness I've only had this vacuum for a few days so the test as far as reliablility is yet to be seen but as far as cleaning effectiveness I don't think it can be beat, definately not at this price point.

Amazon.com - Bissell Heavy Duty Bagless Vacuum Cleaner - Household Upright Vacuums
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews