Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2017, 05:48 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times

Advertisements

Would this make a good boat for going down a river? Or should I get a 12 foot boat or larger instead?

https://www.amazon.com/Sun-Dolphin-A...0+Sit-in+Kayak
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 03:41 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,189,705 times
I have a Old Town kayak, cant remember model # but is 9'10", just under the size that needs to be licensed by the DNR . An older model than the ones they sell now. The one I have has a metal rod about 3" in diameter for ballasts, to make it less tippy. I think the newer models have them embedded in the craft themselves, that how it appears anyway. Anyway, the that size kayak is fine for going down a non white water river, a recreational non challenging river. It was at max 50' wide so a pretty small river. I've done it several times. They are a lot of fun and very maneuverable. I will say that I've seen guy's try to use mine and for some it didn't seem stable, possibly they are more "top heavy" definitely weight more than me. I would try one out to be sure a fit for you. Maybe the slightly longer ones are more stable for larger people. FYI, i am 5'2",145lbs.
I also found that the old fashioned Mae west life preservers were more comfortable than the life vests, which chafed under the arms. Get the best paddle you can, don't get the cheapest. I also figured out a way to attach a cord from paddle to kayak, dropped it once, pretty helpless when you do that.

Old 09-04-2017, 08:06 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,050,725 times
Sun Dolphins' I've seen in stores seem pretty flimsy. Old Town, Ocean Kayak, and several others are much better for not much more in price. We live in a small town and our local Dunham's sells kayaks like hotcakes during the summer.

Our family has a Mad River canoe (14'), two Old Towns similar to what you describe that our kids have taken down river several times, and two Feel Free fishing kayaks. I second the statement on a good paddle and cord. Also put your stuff into a waterproof bag. You will get wet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews