Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2018, 01:24 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times

Advertisements

I used to own a lawnmower shop back in the 1970's so I do have lots of experience with most mowers and riding tractors. I do admit that I do not have a lot of experience with the newer zero turn mowers.

That said; I bought one two seasons ago and wish I never had. This is the dirtiest mower I have ever driven. Everything comes right back on me. I have to wear a face mask and goggles to protect my lungs and eyes while operating the machine. I still look like a coal miner when I get off. I used to have my wife blow me off with our leaf blower before going in the house to take a shower. The dirt just poured off me when the water hit. I do have many leaves and compost on our lawn. It is possible that somebody with a picture perfect lawn might not have my problems? But that does not do me any good!

I do have two other riding tractors and this one was suppose to replace those older tractors. But this zero turn sits in the garage because I hate to operate it! So I ignore the new mower in favor of the older mowers.

I also do not like the deck adjustment that is not quick and easy. Sometimes the wheels will skid on wet grass and leave skid marks.

On the good side: It starts quick! The motor runs nice! Too bad it cannot cut the grass without an operator!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2018, 02:58 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Ok, I think I know what you talking about.
You are mowing, not mulching, right?

Then, when you turn right, chute discharge goes all over you?

Try turning left only. Well, that if chute is on the right hand. In that manner, you avoid discharge cloud, that is hanging in the air.

Otherwise, sometimes you simply have wind blowing discharge into you, no matter what.
I learned to turn left only very fast. I am on my 2nd ZTR. But I mulch for most of the season, so dealing with discharge flying into me is not much of an issue.

Old 09-18-2018, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Ok, I think I know what you talking about.
You are mowing, not mulching, right?

Then, when you turn right, chute discharge goes all over you?

Try turning left only. Well, that if chute is on the right hand. In that manner, you avoid discharge cloud, that is hanging in the air.

Otherwise, sometimes you simply have wind blowing discharge into you, no matter what.
I learned to turn left only very fast. I am on my 2nd ZTR. But I mulch for most of the season, so dealing with discharge flying into me is not much of an issue.

I have five acres of trees and leaves and leaf mulch all over my property and all over me when I use this mower. This mower, for me, is filthy! I did say that if you have a great lawn that you might not have my problems. I have tried operating it with the bagger attachment on and off with the same results. If you lived close to me I would gladly sell it for a very reasonable price.

Like you said; you adapted to the dirt produced by this mower. But I still bet that you have a 'nice' lawn compared to many trees, leaves and hills. I have tried everything I can think of to make this work. But I enjoy mowing grass and this mower does not cut it without covering me in dirt. Like I previously stated; the dirt pours off me when I hit the shower. My eyes burn from the dirt when mowing if I do not wear goggles. My nose turns black when I blow it after mowing. There is no joy for me using this piece of equipment.

I also do not like the blade height adjustment where I have to remove a pin and place it in another hole. I prefer an adjustment I can easily make while mowing.

There is no rear clearance for the frame; If I do not come off my blacktop just right the unit gets hung up and I have to go get a 2X4 to pry it off.

I don't like the gas tank location and filling it one can easily overfill because you cannot see the level.

This mower also leaves skid marks on my lawn.

At one time I sold Gravely, Toro, MTD and other brands. I was always told how great John Deere tractors were and I thought I would give it a try with this Zero turn mower. If I recall correctly I spent about $3,300 for the mower and bagger and I should have just flushed the money down the drain! I hate this mower!

Old 09-18-2018, 08:05 AM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
No offense, but if you only paid $3.3K for a zero turn, you got an entry level machine....I paid $7K in 2001 for a Bush Hog brand......as for the green paint...it only ensures you paid too much....IMO.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 09-18-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
No offense, but if you only paid $3.3K for a zero turn, you got an entry level machine....I paid $7K in 2001 for a Bush Hog brand......as for the green paint...it only ensures you paid too much....IMO.

Regards
Gemstone1

I cannot review a machine I never tried. Maybe I would have been happy with the Brush Hog? I don't know. My wife had me buy her a little 30" Troy-Bilt rear engine rider and I would rather sit on that 'toy' than on the Z335. The Troy-Bilt has a greater height adjustment than my other rider, a Husqvarna, so I can use it in some of the rocky and root covered areas.

How dirty is your Brush Hog to operate?

Old 01-01-2019, 06:11 AM

69 posts, read 50,969 times
My experience with John Deere s you will pay about triple price for blades and belts as with other mowers.

We have a Dixie Chopper zero turn and like it a lot. It listed for over $8,000 when we bought it several years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Product Reviews