Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 08:36 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,438,939 times

Advertisements

You need to pay more attention to them, more careful !!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 08:57 AM

4 posts, read 5,906 times
?!?!

Old 12-31-2010, 08:59 AM

4 posts, read 5,906 times
What are you talking about?!?!

Old 01-01-2011, 09:02 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,397,535 times
I personally don't have any toxic people in my life, but know a few "low-lifes." There are two groups of people in life, those that get it and those that don't. People that get it might not all be top professionals earning six figures a year, but they do something dramatically different from those that don't get it. THEY TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEMSELVES!!!! When they screw-up or have bad judgement they don't look for an excuse or someone or something or some circumstance to blame or feel sorry themselves They learn and move on. Don't get it people always find something other than themselves to blame; "my parents divorced when I was young," "I never knew my dad," "My boss doesn't like me," "It's not fair," "I have to drink that's how I get through life," really? Don't get it people usually make the same mistake over & over. Here's a good example. In every state here in the US cops are cracking down on driving drunk. Now I realize anybody can make a mistake have one drink too many and end up with a DUI because I've seen happen to responsible people. When I see people with more than one, like 2,3 or more that tells me that someone has horrific judgement and doesn't get it. Don't get it people drive around with bumper stickers on their car that say; "Mean People Suck," "Peace," or "Make Love Not War," and the vehicle it's on is usually a clunker. Don't get it people usually never have money to pay their bills but always seem to have cigarettes, beer, and the most expensive cell phone out at the current time usually the one requiring the data plan and has way more stuff on it than what you actually need, and house with 3,4, or more cats, or dogs, or other pets. Another fact is usually once people reach a certain age, they are what they are. I don't believe that people change that often. We like to think in our hearts we can change these toxic people but it's usually a loosing battle.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:11 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,033,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tet tea View Post
I'm pretty sure that most of us know at least one toxic person in their life. How do you deal with these people especially if they are family? I've tried physically and mentally removing myself, but it's getting harder and harder.

I've always been a "glass is half full" type of person, but here lately being around such negativity is making me feel so aggravated and down.

I know you can change yourself but it is basically impossible to change someone else, especially if they are toxic.

If anyone has any great words of wisdom or advice I'd love to hear it! My upbeat is being beaten down

It sounds to me like the toxic person in your life is really close to you like a family member. Because everyone has toxic people that they have to deal with on a near daily basis if they go to school or work in public. Toxic co-workers, I see them for what they are. They are not like me, so I get a kick out of them. You have to try to find humor in the situation. Not when they are right in front of you, necessarily, because you don't want to laugh at their face. I just mean, when you are reflecting back on a recent encounter or situation. Then you can laugh for how flawed they are. We are all flawed but we don't all choose to be toxic about it. Just limit your encounters with them as much as possible and make sure that every encounter with them you give them the handicap. Like one has in bowling or golf. These people need some extra help so make sure you provide it to them (not money or anything, just the benefit of the doubt) so you can move on to more important things.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:58 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
By being anti-social. I don't let people into my life, as a rule.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:12 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,949,872 times
Get them to all sign your van, chills out even the most arogant beast..............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNoara3m7Sg

Old 01-01-2011, 11:32 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,033,708 times
I got an 07 lac sitting on dubz. if anyone took a sharpie to it, i'd beat their ass. Cost me 40 G's got 10 invested in it in aftermarket tv's, dvd players, LED's, alarm, rims, you name it. A sharpie to the interior of my ride would result in an immediate stop, a door opening, your ass getting pulled out the ride, and some swift kicks to the face. And probably that sharpie getting jammed up your ***. That's about it. But I respect those who take pride in it and make it something of an experience, a timeline if you will. But it's not for me. It's not for most.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:26 PM

1,241 posts, read 1,895,471 times
Get rid of them. Life is too short for you to be weighed down with other people's problems.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:10 PM

2,765 posts, read 2,792,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tet tea View Post
I'm pretty sure that most of us know at least one toxic person in their life. How do you deal with these people especially if they are family? I've tried physically and mentally removing myself, but it's getting harder and harder.

I've always been a "glass is half full" type of person, but here lately being around such negativity is making me feel so aggravated and down.

I know you can change yourself but it is basically impossible to change someone else, especially if they are toxic.

If anyone has any great words of wisdom or advice I'd love to hear it! My upbeat is being beaten down
As long as they are not intentionally toxic, I try to endure unhealthy personalities quietly without complaining or lecturing because complaining just makes it worse for you and causes more of a disturbance. And without intentionally avoiding them because I think that is a horrible thing to do to someone, as we are a group species. I just remind myself that I will not be with this personality all day and the day will provide me my recharge time, just have patience.

It's the ones where I get a strong vibe they are trying to annoy me on purpose that test me the most. Those I will plot to avoid. But I think, with true enlightenment, comes the ability to endure even those types with patience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology