Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 12:46 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times

Advertisements

They also have very dangerous side effects like suicidal thoughts. So be cautious with those pills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
The meds have me worried what are they and what are they for? taking meds for depression is a double edged sword as they'll work for a while but then you need more and more to stave off the depression.
Maybe you just need a partner in life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 01:46 AM

346 posts, read 968,030 times
you should learn to surf. I'm learning, and from what people tell me, it's tough to be depressed while surfing.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:56 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
Dancing is fun, too.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:29 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,799,123 times
To those who caution against whether meds are effective - while misused and over prescribed, medication is a useful tool for many who are depressed, not simply down or having a bad day, but depressed due to a chemical imbalance. They should always be prescribed and monitored by a health care provider, but to caution against them is detrimental because it implies a stigma - which may result in many people who should be seeking care and taking them regularly avoiding using them. Those results can be catastrophic.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:04 AM

1,206 posts, read 2,927,376 times
OP did you ever have problems with depression before the move? Did you take medication for it? If life is that hard for you in your new location I'd suggest you move back home where you have more support from friends/family. Being alone when you are suffering like that isn't good for you. You need to heal and regain your passion for life and happiness. Id suggest going back home, youll feel better instantly and your parents will understand.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:45 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,451,800 times
In my late teens - 20s, I also had the combination of "I cannot imagine myself living in this place (with my family) forever" and realizing what extreme loneliness can a new place be. I had a guy at work confessing, that he, too, cried, when he moved away from a familiar place. That made me realize that loneliness was not not only my problem. The loneliness made that particular guy to get out there, play water polo, and when a girl on the team needed someone to accompany her to a cinema, he agreed, - just to do something. Lo and behold, he fell in love with her, and started building a new *home* in his heart.

Myself, I guess the very same family that I was trying to leave, had managed to instill the value of a family unit, - I suppose just like with yourself. I never felt comfortable until I created my own family. That was after many years of something that you are going through right now, - the learning curve of how to be on your own. Finally, I was OK with the idea of settling in one place. Just recently, I started to understand people who never left my birth town. But I know I couldn't be like that in the beginning, I had to do what I had to do, even if it involved having a few life knocks. But of course I moved overseas, so going back to my family was not an option.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:42 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
A loser for having life experience? Hardly.

So rather than just putting up the quitter sign, think about what would make you happy and then figure out a way to go do it. Take the opportunity now, because some day you will be older and maybe tied up with responsibilities. You probably have a lot more going for yourself than you can realize.
Agreed

Old 01-27-2011, 01:12 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,473,742 times
I know it can be overwhelming when you move away from family the first time. I think you're doing all the right things. It's just going to take a little bit and then you'll feel fine. If you could meet a true friend then I think you'll feel so much better and I realize that's what you're trying to do. Glad to hear that you're exercising and eating right, that always will help you with your depression.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:59 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,634,216 times
Howdy Naomi, darlin',

As a young man in our U.S. Navy, my ship was moored in San Diego. When i had liberty i met some very real nice girls at;

beach.
dance clubs with band.
library
San Diego Zoo. I always thought this was the best zoo i'd been to.
U.S.O.

Some very nice young ladies volunteered at the USO functions.

Learn to have confidence, faith in yourself. Life will get better for you.

Some young women have found very good careers with the military. There are some benefits.

Best of Luck to you, in your future, hon.
http://www.usosandiego.org/
http://santeelakes.com/

Old 01-27-2011, 06:30 PM

90 posts, read 321,617 times
If you can learn from any of the responses that have been posted thus far, you will know that at least THIS decision was worth it. And move on from there. There's good and bad in all we do. Don't make it one color alone. We've got greater complexity than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology