Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 09:43 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,457,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Oh yes I do! She lives 20 min away from me and I never see her. I no longer hate her b/c I know she can't help it but I see no reason to be around her either. She just starts right in lying again.

Um, as far as your gay guy you're wondering about--I can speak to that too. My ex and I were married for 23 years when he began to get pretty "crazy." I just thought it was major stress from a tough job but turned out to be so much worse than I thought. But never once did I think he behavior was sociopathic, despite the fact that he was being pretty mean and arrogant there towards the end. Here's a thing too--a true sociopath would never be ashamed of being gay. He would never be ashamed of anything, no matter how shameful a matter it might be b/c they're not capable of that feeling. (I am not saying that it's shameful to be gay.) My ex came out of years of very very shameful feelings and that made him act out towards me but that was not his basic personality. So, if this man's behavior is sociopathic, then he probably is one and not reacting to feelings of shame.
With your sister what about family gatherings, holidays etc?

Sounds like your ex turned into a real ass. My first bf turned into one and after we broke up he wanted to date again but I was over him.

As far as the guy I am talking about. You gave me something to think about. He really was not remorseful. One of the last times I talked to him he not only threw his gf under the bus, not literally of course, and said things like I'm not really into her just trying it out but he apologizes for hurting me then proceeded to keep doing it with no thought. Those are some examples as to why I think he is not gay but a sociopath. Even as hard as it was for me to come to terms with my sexual orientation I never did that to anyone especially someone who I dated or almost dated. That being said if he is gay I don't think he is a sociopath at all just very confused and doing things to keep his family happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 09:47 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
people love to psycho babble
they pick up these terms at the welfare office and go running up and down the street name labeling everyone they don't like with terms they really don't understand
sociopaths are not just jerks u don't like
they are dangerous well hidden very sick people like dexter or worse
they really enjoy hurting others

Old 10-07-2013, 11:17 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times
A sociopath doesn't have to physically hurt people . They can live a whole life without getting in major trouble. In other words, they are not all serial killers . Most of them are not.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4

Old 10-08-2013, 06:59 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
With your sister what about family gatherings, holidays etc?

Sounds like your ex turned into a real ass. My first bf turned into one and after we broke up he wanted to date again but I was over him.

As far as the guy I am talking about. You gave me something to think about. He really was not remorseful. One of the last times I talked to him he not only threw his gf under the bus, not literally of course, and said things like I'm not really into her just trying it out but he apologizes for hurting me then proceeded to keep doing it with no thought. Those are some examples as to why I think he is not gay but a sociopath. Even as hard as it was for me to come to terms with my sexual orientation I never did that to anyone especially someone who I dated or almost dated. That being said if he is gay I don't think he is a sociopath at all just very confused and doing things to keep his family happy.
Not much family left here but no one else in the family likes her either and with my mother gone, no one feels obligated to invite her anymore. Yes ex turned into a real azz and mainly over having to pay child support. I have to laugh b/c he's the one with a new car and going on beach vacays at least twice a year.

One thing I wanted to point out too is that ASPD's also don't seem to have much gender preference and will have sex with anyone, man or woman, as long as they're getting something out of it. There was a man in this part of the country who deliberately went spreading HIV to as many people as he could bed and they were men and women.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
they pick up these terms at the welfare office and go running up and down the street name labeling everyone they don't like with terms they really don't understand
Huckleberry, you're talking to some folks who have real experience with these dirtbags and I will just say that not all are vindictive and out to hurt people. They won't care if they hurt you--to them you're a bug splat on their windshield of life. Sis is too lazy to set out to harm people and even the ones I knew who did usually kept it to a select group. If they go for too many people then folks are going to be on to them and game's over. When you're a target, you know it but others usually don't, even if they work closely with you and the sociopath.

But again, with sis the way she hurt people is by never giving anything of herself to anyone--it was all about her. Once she took her 2 yo to a babysitter and acted all stressed out and said she had to run and pay some bills and she'd be back in a couple of hours. 3 weeks later the babysitter was finally able to contact my brother and let him know that she had no resources to keep the little boy. Sis hadn't even taken shoes or a change of clothes for him. Her other son was removed from her in a strange city far away and she had the gall to come visit us without him (after we'd seen neither of them for 3 years) and tell us that he was with his other grandmother. I smelled a rat and made phone calls and found out he was in a horrible foster home in NYC and they never would tell me what happened except that it was bad. I got him placed with his father's family and she always turned it back against me and said that I got him taken away from her and it was all my fault, but that was an act and it was obvious that she didn't give a crap. Did she set out to hurt those little boys? No I doubt it but her neglect was phenomenal. Everything about her is fake and no one can stand to be around her with her jokes and artificial laughter. She's under the impression that she's amazingly funny and looks strangely at me when I don't laugh at her jokes, but all the jokes miss the point that would make them funny.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:09 PM

257 posts, read 295,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Humble View Post
How to deal with common everyday sociopaths. (article)

Found this simple but engaging article on sociopaths.

Does anyone know a lot about this?

If you don't and don't have time to read it, I would break down the symptoms of a sociopath into lack of empathy, conscience and guilt. Inability to love. Manipulation is second nature to them. Boredom due to lack of sincere connections with other human beings that leaves them with more time than the rest of us to plan and deceive, and to win at all costs.

Do you suspect that you have/had one in your life? If so, what did you do, what will you do about it?

Most disturbing in the article is that they can not be treated, do not even respond to Oxycontin, which is supposed to increase feelings of warmth and love. They make up an estimated 2 to 3% of the population and there is somewhat of a range in severity.
There is a lot of similarity between the Sociopath, Psychopath, NPD.. Here is one article w 20 Traits.
20 SOCIOPATHIC TRAITS
Identifying a Narcissistic Sociopath | Paula's Pontifications

The list of 20 sociopathic traits is taken directly from the book WithoutConscience: The Disturbing World of the Psychopaths Among Us by Dr. RobertD. Hare, Ph.D.

I had a relationship with a pathological person. Unfortunately, it may not be obvious until you are involved. The aftermath takes some time to work through. It's not just another break-up.

The term "psychopath" is often used to a group of Class B disorders, not just Psychopaths. Here is an interesting website about the recovery..
WHY DOES IT TAKE SO LONG TO GET OVER A RELATIONSHIP WITH A PSYCHOPATH?
[https://www.psychopathfree.com/content.php?270-Why-Does-it-Take-So-Long-to-Get-Over-a-Relationship-with-a-Psychopath]

Old 10-09-2013, 10:13 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,457,538 times
Quote:
Not much family left here but no one else in the family likes her either and with my mother gone, no one feels obligated to invite her anymore. Yes ex turned into a real azz and mainly over having to pay child support. I have to laugh b/c he's the one with a new car and going on beach vacays at least twice a year.
Wow she must really have burned here bridges.

Quote:
One thing I wanted to point out too is that ASPD's also don't seem to have much gender preference and will have sex with anyone, man or woman, as long as they're getting something out of it. There was a man in this part of the country who deliberately went spreading HIV to as many people as he could bed and they were men and women.
I do not deny that its possible for someone who is a sociopath to be bisexual I just don't think he is. I could be wrong but with what happened I think he is either straight and thus a sociopath for what he did to lead me on without any thought or care on how that impacted me or he is having typical sexual orientation issues which is common and not sociopathic in nature.

Honestly at this point I am dating someone else who is hotter anyway and have been with him for over a year. Its a very odd relationship and most people would not want to be in one like this but it works for us and was what I needed. So if the the first guy ever comes then great I will be there for him if not that is ok too as I have moved on.

Old 10-09-2013, 03:02 PM

257 posts, read 295,423 times
Default How psychopathic are you or s/he?

This link has a "test" for psychopathy. It appears to have Hare's 20 traits and I think its a good list for that reason. Of course, it's just for fun - not to make us shake-and-bake mental health professionals

The Unburdened Mind • Damn Interesting

Old 10-09-2013, 05:56 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,481,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
This is the number one reason that if you ID a sociopath - tell nobody. Because people will think you are dumb enough to label them as such because they are a jerk you don't like. Even when the person IS a sociopath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology