Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 08:21 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,939,818 times

Advertisements

I never really liked other people much before I had a husband and kids. I vastly prefer their company to that of everyone else.

I chose to stay home with my kids too - a choice that is inconceivable to everyone in my family. They make comments about how I "should be over it by now" - "it" being motherhood, being with my kids, etc. My husband's family approves of me staying home with the kids, but doesn't approve of HIM wanting to be with us over him. They tell him he's 'too attached' to his wife and kids. So, he's let those relationships go too.

Parents, siblings, cousins, aunts, uncles, etc will either adapt/accept or be left behind when someone gets married and has children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 10:13 AM

1,100 posts, read 3,011,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuShooz View Post
Do you lost interest in your other family and friends after you have kids, since they seem so inferior in comparison to your progeny?
It's not that you lose interest. It's just that having kids completely changes your world. I have a six year old and a twelve year old. My husband and I are no longer just "Jack and Jill." We are mom and dad. Once most people become parents, their priority changes. Their kids come first (as they should.)

Maybe you need to understand that these friends or family members need flexibility in their schedules. I know for one that I can't just go out at the drop of the hat anymore. I can't just make plans on the fly. Neither can my husband. HOWEVER, we most certainly continue to have wonderful friends and family members as part of our lives. It just takes a bit of flexibility and understanding on everybody's part.

Old 02-05-2011, 02:25 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Quote:
Do you lost interest in your other family and friends after you have kids, since they seem so inferior in comparison to your progeny?
That's really a snide way to put it. Anybody who's ever had a kid knows how demanding they will be. They are exhausting, particularly when they're babies. Try to be a little more charitable.

Old 02-05-2011, 02:45 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,861,688 times
Quote:
If I recall correctly from another thread, you seem to have contempt for children and their parents, and that's evident in your assumption that other people are left by the wayside as parents feel that their childre- I mean, progeny are superior to everything around them.

It's called having responsibility.

Kid gets sick - need to take care of kid.
Want to go out with friends - have to find babysitter.
Can't find babysitter - can't leave kids alone.
Can find babysitter - probably not a good idea to show up back at home totally wasted. Doesn't set a good example. Can't drink too much.

Why don't you get this?

Old 02-05-2011, 04:27 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,906,520 times
The answer is yes. And, when you become a grandfather, your beautiful granddaughter is the only human on the earth that matters.

Old 02-05-2011, 04:35 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,800,032 times
Nope - you are just too exhausted. Too exhausted to do more and too exhausted to care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology