Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 08:34 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,014,750 times

Advertisements

It lowers inhibitions. So that just means they are MORE likely to say what they think. It doesn't make them more honest, or less honest...it just makes them more likely to act on inclinations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 04:02 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,344,831 times
Alcohol in sufficient amounts also makes many people more violent, more abusive, more irresponsible, and generally worse people. So a drunks pronouncement might be more his or her inner douche emerging rather than his or her truth.

Old 05-15-2017, 05:14 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,580 posts, read 17,923,325 times
Nobody ever does anything while drunk that they don't want to do sober, except vomit.

Like when the man apologizes profusely for having sex with his wife's best friend . . . they were drunk, they didn't know what they were doing . . . And the wife says really how drunk would you have to be to have sex with your mother. (ummm . . . there isn't enough alcohol).

Old 05-15-2017, 08:08 PM

862 posts, read 974,420 times
It sure does, People are more willing to reveal a secret when they are under the influence,
I had a former girlfriend tell me that when she was at a family party that her drunk uncle
revealed to her that she had a half brother that she did not know about, turned out it was
true when she confronted her dad, so I would say people are more likely to reveal something,
but they also may tend to exaggerate or embellish stories also.

Old 05-15-2017, 08:15 PM

862 posts, read 974,420 times
"Always do what you said you were going to do when you were drunk, It will teach you to keep your mouth shut"
to quote Ernest Hemmingway.

Old 05-15-2017, 09:07 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
Dead topic revival... 3.... 2... 1... "Clear!" {Crack!!!} Wait! I'm getting QRS waves! Let's see if we can establish a normal sinus rhythm... "tha, thump, tha, thump!" "Run an IV line, give him an epinephrine push, stat!!!"

Okay, topic revival achieved!

Drunk people have anesthetized their upper (critical; judgemental) brain centers. They have no critical judgement left. You are peering into their naked id if they are still able to communicate. Most likely they have lost any self-awareness, any awareness of their surroundings. Yes of course you can access their subconscious if they are still able to communicate. But... you are still talking with a drunk!

They have lost their capability of judgement. That's why DUI is a crime.

Sure they can and may tell things they wouldn't want to reveal if they were aware of what they are saying. But at this stage (perhaps 0.20% BAC) they are stupors or barely conscious, their upper (cognitive) brain centers suppressed, because the upper brain is the first to go. You are now facing a human lizard. Lower functions intact, breathing intact, but not the full intellect; that is still anesthetized. Judgemental centers are an abstract, once a functioning part now mere theory—not a functional part of a dunk person.

Ask them anything you want. They are drunk. Will they talk? Maybe... Will they tell you the truth, tell you their most inner thoughts? Possibly but not likely, not because they don't want to ("want" is one of the conscious precepts that is lost in anesthesia). What you are talking to is a random noise generator with a faulty connection to memory that is so impaired that they may or may not give you valid, reliable information.

Do you believe them? Roll the dice, spin the roulette wheel, get out the Ouija board, find a drunkromancer (I just invented that word!), get a psychologist (and give her a drink, it might improve the connection or at least is polite).

Do drunk people tell the truth? Sure. Do drunk people tell lies? Sure. You have an unreliable window into their subconscious. How well do you understand your own subconscious? And you are trusting a drunk's understanding of their own subconscious? The mere fact that they are drunk in the first place tells you a lot about their character? Who in their right mind would get themselves skunky drunk in public?

At least I reserve such periods to drinking alone, although they are very seldom occasions.

And what's this about women? Yes, of course, women are simply at a biological disadvantage due to their constitution that they are more subject to the effects of alcohol, and even worse, are more subject to the debilitation of alcoholism. Their poor luck of the draw in genetics, not their fault, nobody gets to pick their gender.

And we men should face another gender trait: women are simply better at empathy and socializing than men. Their domain is family, men's domain is war. I envy women in this. And of course when women get drunk some of them get more gregarious and looser at talking—not that men are not subject to the same thing although possibly to a lesser degree.

My advice: If you want to find what a woman really thinks, get her over dinner in a nice tête–à–tête, pour a her a nice glass of wine, hug and kiss her, and then ask her what you want to know. You don't need to drug women with alcohol to discover their feelings. They're social. Be nice to them, just ask them. If you've found a nice woman, more likely than not she'll tell you, and you'll both be closer after your discussion.

And even better, both of you will remember your closeness.

Old 05-15-2017, 09:19 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
They might. Or they might lie their asses off. When I was in my twenties, a friend of mine would tell guys hitting on her that she was a lesbian named Bette. In reality, she was a straight married mom named Carrie.

Old 05-15-2017, 09:23 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
Actually I'm a male lesbian. Please don't tell anybody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology