Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 08:53 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,833,968 times

Advertisements

Dump him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 09:02 PM

334 posts, read 528,566 times
My s/o can be like that at times. He's getting much better, but what I usually do is just be completely silent while he rants, and when he's done, I remain silent. Then he'll say "oh so you don't have anything to say??" or "helloooo???" and I'll just say something like "I'm here." And don't let him say "finish what you were going to say." Oooooooh honey!!! It would be on and popping then! LOL! I usually reply "I have no idea what I was going to say, but it must not have been nearly as important as what you had to say." And from then on, he gets the silent treatment.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:18 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,438,490 times
I hate him , these people are difficult to make friends...

Old 03-27-2011, 10:58 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
I have a coworker who talks over the top of people CONSTANTLY. And if, by chance, you do get the opportunity to wedge a word in, here or there, she's pretty blatant about the fact that she's patiently waiting for you to shut your mouth so she can have the floor again. It's hurt her professionally...she gets avoided socially, as well, within a work context, because she's such a poor listener and such a floor hog.

I know that she's been spoken to regarding it, but she seems to genuinely believe that nobody has anything worth contributing other than here, so it doesn't much change things.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:26 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,644,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Walk away from people like that. They are not interested in having conversations. They are only interested in having monologs.

There is only one way to have a relationship with anyone, whether it is a spouse, love interest, friend, employer, or anybody else. And that is from a position of mutual respect. If a person has no interest in what you're trying to say and tries to dominate you by talking over you, then this is not a person you really want in your life.
You just have to very fast. I don't mean one of those people who take 1 minute to get a simple sentence out! If someone talks at a fast pace...talk back at the same pace or speed. If they use a lot of...... but...but..and then....and then....and then...um....um....um..ah...ah... Hell, you know what I mean. I ain't got all day.... my cloths are going out of style here! LOL

Old 04-01-2011, 01:05 PM

13,622 posts, read 10,024,461 times
It would be nice, to have someone to talk to.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:16 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,295,747 times
I work with two people (both females, and both friends as well) who do this. They are not boorish people, just horribly poor listeners. The rest of us complain about it, but that's their personality, and I have to always remind myself of it. It is VERY frustrating when you try to have a discussion and can't really say anything because they talk right over you.

However, I absolutely could not ~ never ~ EVER! ~ tolerate this in a mate! I'm one of those who despises being interrupted.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:46 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,387,602 times
Generally, people who monopolize conversations are the biggest bores on earth.

I have known people who won't shut up, but I don't know them long. I completely avoid them or ignore them. Life's too short to be infringed upon by loud mouths like this.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:49 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,141,122 times
My mother has a boyfriend like that. Just babbles on incessantly. Never. Shuts. Up.

It's sad to me. Because I feel as if I can never have another conversation with my mother as long as he is alive.

Old 04-01-2011, 04:06 PM

2,179 posts, read 3,403,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
My mother has a boyfriend like that. Just babbles on incessantly. Never. Shuts. Up.

It's sad to me. Because I feel as if I can never have another conversation with my mother as long as he is alive.
That is sad. Can't you see/talk to your mother when he's not around?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology