Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 07:24 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times

Advertisements

I am one of those people that other people tend to talk over. I don't know why. If there's a group of people, I often get talked down. Am I too soft spoken? Take too long to get to the point? I don't know. My mom has even apologized to me about it, and has said she doesn't know why she does it. But my mom isn't the only person who does.

Probably one of the reasons I like forums so much. I get to finish a sentence. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 10:31 AM

3,426 posts, read 3,342,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
WOW! I've never run into anyone quite that bad, who would outright state that anything you want to say couldn't possibly be important!

So, you've moved on, I hope?
Best believe that!

Old 08-30-2017, 10:36 AM

3,426 posts, read 3,342,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I am one of those people that other people tend to talk over. I don't know why. If there's a group of people, I often get talked down. Am I too soft spoken? Take too long to get to the point? I don't know. My mom has even apologized to me about it, and has said she doesn't know why she does it. But my mom isn't the only person who does.

Probably one of the reasons I like forums so much. I get to finish a sentence. LOL
I was like you many years ago. But I remember my dad saying that I was a loud kid and tended to yell. So I found my voice again and if/when someone talks over me, or down to me, I go full throttle RPM on them.

Many a head has turned from my yelling. I've been told constantly to "take it down".

Old 08-30-2017, 10:59 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,101,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This sounds like a blessing, all things considered.
It could be but she gets an attitude. She sits right next to me so it feels like a hostile environment. She doesn't even say good morning when she gets like that. To keep things normal, I just let her ramble on, say "yeah" or "i know" and then go back to my work.

Old 08-30-2017, 11:32 AM

102,206 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
I was like you many years ago. But I remember my dad saying that I was a loud kid and tended to yell. So I found my voice again and if/when someone talks over me, or down to me, I go full throttle RPM on them.

Many a head has turned from my yelling. I've been told constantly to "take it down".
Interesting. So you simply turn up the volume, while remaining calm, and in conversation mode? I'd like to see how that goes.

Old 08-30-2017, 11:33 AM

102,206 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty in black View Post
It could be but she gets an attitude. She sits right next to me so it feels like a hostile environment. She doesn't even say good morning when she gets like that. To keep things normal, I just let her ramble on, say "yeah" or "i know" and then go back to my work.
So, let her sit with her attitude. She's the one who has to live with herself. You can just go on with your work, unless you two have to collaborate on projects, or something. Let her stew in her own juices.

Old 09-23-2017, 04:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,155 times
I love him, but he doesnt see that he is doing it, and/ or he has said before that when people interrupt him he doesn't get mad about it. Although if someone interrupted him EVERY time he tried to say something and was never able to get his side heard, I can guarantee he would definitely see it as an issue that needs resolving and knowing him he would demand it be done immediately no ands ifs or buts.... how can i get him to understand without becoming manipulative

Old 07-11-2019, 08:17 AM

1 posts, read 741 times
I am in the same situation. He yells so much that spit flies out of his mouth, I try to diffuse the situation as I don't like confrontations especially if it turns into a screaming match. Last night for instance I made a comment about why a company would put 'special instructions' if they don't honor them or explain why they couldn't. I asked the pharmacy to put my meds in a bottle vice blister pack as they are annoying to open and BAM!! he started yelling like a mad man.. saying well you bought me papers (yes rolling papers) that he didn't like to use as they were difficult so I said, "I know that so I told you I wouldn't get them again that I would get you the right ones and then in the midst of nowhere he yelled F**&^Off. He has never sworn at me before and to me that is like someone spitting in my face.. I said, out of anger, you want me to F*&*^Off, don't worry I will and what he said next was even worse.. GOOD! he said.. we have been married for 10 years and he always yells and cuts me off, never lets me get my point across. Am I the one who needs help? sometimes I wonder then doing research I see that maybe it is him but I can't bring it up. He never admits he is wrong and has never apologized.. Why am I still there? I honestly am not sure.. maybe I am not able to be alone.. I don't know..

Last edited by amIlosingmymind; 07-11-2019 at 08:32 AM..

Old 07-11-2019, 08:40 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amIlosingmymind View Post
I am in the same situation. He yells so much that spit flies out of his mouth, I try to diffuse the situation as I don't like confrontations especially if it turns into a screaming match. Last night for instance I made a comment about why a company would put 'special instructions' if they don't honor them or explain why they couldn't. I asked the pharmacy to put my meds in a bottle vice blister pack as they are annoying to open and BAM!! he started yelling like a mad man.. saying well you bought me papers (yes rolling papers) that he didn't like to use as they were difficult so I said, "I know that so I told you I wouldn't get them again that I would get you the right ones and then in the midst of nowhere he yelled F**&^Off. He has never sworn at me before and to me that is like someone spitting in my face.. I said, out of anger, you want me to F*&*^Off, don't worry I will and what he said next was even worse.. GOOD! he said.. we have been married for 10 years and he always yells and cuts me off, never lets me get my point across. Am I the one who needs help? sometimes I wonder then doing research I see that maybe it is him but I can't bring it up. He never admits he is wrong and has never apologized.. Why am I still there? I honestly am not sure.. maybe I am not able to be alone.. I don't know..
Well, this is not just not letting you speak. There is some major anger issue here with your husband.

I would just walk off every time and not deal with it.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:11 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times
I have about 3 people in my life who are like this. Most recently, it was my brother, who interrupted me several times over a long holiday weekend. Finally, I would just very calmly say "I'd like to finish my thought." or "I wasn't done with my sentence." etc. Every time I spoke up, he apologized, and was genuinely sorry. (Doesn't necessarily mean he'll never do it again though. LOL)

I'm not inclined to cut these people out of my life, but I don't have a problem letting them know what they're doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology