Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 06:57 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,744,307 times

Advertisements

I am the same way. My name is Andre. Although I've never been called "Andy", people always call me Andrew. I remember in grade school, the days when we had a subsitute teacher were the worst! I would always wonder when attendance would come if they'd screw it up. Would it be Andre or Andrew. Like others have said, if its a brief interaction, like a random Nurse at a Dr's office, I'll let it slide. I remember years ago, I worked at a gas station and my coworker could never, ever get my name right. I was in the bathroom cleaning it when she got a bunch of customers and called "Andrew, Andrew, I need your help!" I'm not Andrew, so I did not respond and never came. When I was finished with my work, about 30 minutes later, I came back to the front. "I called you to help!!" She said. "Oh my name isn't Andrew" I said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 10:08 AM

3,981 posts, read 4,999,235 times
My dad's name is Robert and maybe because of his age/generation, people are always calling him Bob. It's just weird to shorten a person's name that you don't even know. On the other hand, if any of my friends had ethnic sounding names or hard to pronounce names, my stepmom NEVER got it right. She's freaking smart so I think it was more of a game to her. She also tends to use everyone's "proper" name (as she sees it). If your name is Bill, she'll call you William. If your name is Chris, she'll call you Christine or Christopher. It goes on and on...not sure why she does this.

I do remember when I was about 5 or 6 and Santa (he was moonlighting at Sears) called me Shelly and I screamed until he shut me up with a candy cane.

I liked the suggestion of calling someone a random name until they figure out they've been butchering your name or getting it wrong altogether...cracks me up.

Old 10-20-2012, 11:37 AM

2,410 posts, read 5,996,662 times
I actually have 3 names that I answer to. This being because my mother named me after herself and most of the other women in the family. Growing up my parents and family refered to me by my middle name. As I got into school it was always a hassle to tell the teacher that I didn't go by my first name because it was my mother's name and got confusing in the house. Now that I'm grown and in college, it is just easier to let the teachers call me by my first name, family still call me Kathy and really close friends call me Kat. It's hard when I'm applying for jobs though. The company calls my references and asks about Lorna and even though my references all know my first name, they don't always make that connection. I even have my middle name in quotation marks and will tell HR that is what I usually go by, but they don't always remember that when calling about references.

I really think I should have just changed my name when I turned 18, but I knew it would hurt my mother's feelings and so I now just live with answering to 3 different names, and it is funny when people who know me by my first name overhear my husband or friends calling me something different and look at me funny.

I usually tell people I'll answer to darn near anything, I've answered to Laura, Mona, Kathy, Kat, Lorna, Lori, and various other pronunciations of my two names. I figure there are worst things to be called.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:34 AM
Status: "Wishing all the best of health and peace!" (set 10 days ago)

43,459 posts, read 44,172,248 times
Sometimes I have people mispronounce my name even though it is a simple one and I have corrected people and they still mispronounce it. This is irritating but I can live with it.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:12 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,572,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recuerdeme View Post
Uhm no... since most people can't say my name(Spanish) I usually give them the English version.

And if someone mispronounces my name I correct them and problem solved..
Oh, if only it were that easy.

My last name is Poland. You know, like the big country in Europe. It's spelled and pronounced phonetically, too.

I don't understand it, but nearly every time I meet someone new, or go to any place where they have to call out my name, people say "PA-land." Not only that, they want to spell it "Polland." EVERY TIME. So, finally, I started saying, "Poland - sounds like and spelled like the country." Well, get this - they STILL can't do it.

I even had a customer once who got this confused and from there on out called me Mrs. HOLLAND. When I corrected him, he said, "Yeah I remember, like the country." And he STILL called me Mrs. Holland. Even though there is a much larger country in Europe called Poland. I mean, why didn't he just call me Mrs. France or Mrs. Czech Republic? It was that random.

This always baffles me because I have never heard of or met anyone named "Polland."

Old 04-24-2014, 12:24 AM

32 posts, read 75,857 times
They are being familiar IMO. Don't take it otherwise. People call each other D for Don and T for Tony.
They say "like" every other word, linguistics and formality are changing, for good or for bad.

Old 04-24-2014, 04:56 AM

513 posts, read 734,409 times
Default My married name was unusual

and I think people thought when I answered the phone especially, I was saying "Ruth" instead of the correct name. I finally decided that if I offended someone, they would blame it on Ruth, so I just gave up. Finally though, since I was divorced, I changed back to my old maiden name after my daughter was grown and married, so she had a different name from me, anyway. (The whole process of changing my name legally was another interesting and frustrating experience, but now it's fine!)

Old 04-24-2014, 12:26 PM

652 posts, read 871,545 times
You could be a spy with many different names. Maybe they met you while you were using an assumed name or identity?

Old 04-24-2014, 02:29 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,777,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Do other people have this problem?
I myself don't have this problem. Personally, I don't really mind being called by either my first name or by my middle name. In fact, I primarily went by my middle name in middle school, only to primarily go by my first name again in tenth grade and beyond.

In my opinion, this (your story) isn't that big of a deal, but I suppose that I can see why someone else might strongly dislike this.

Old 04-24-2014, 02:30 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,777,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Sometimes I have people mispronounce my name even though it is a simple one and I have corrected people and they still mispronounce it. This is irritating but I can live with it.
If you don't mind me asking, is your name pronounced Hava, with a coarse/rough "H" sound?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology