Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 02:41 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saywha View Post
I have a sister who is a lesbian.
She was diagnosed with Bi-polar but I think she shows more signs of Borderline personality disorder.
Before I go any further, I want to make it known that I am very supportive of her and her partner (her partner is like another sister to me, most of the time I like her more than my own sis).

My sis does something that really irritates me. She verbally bashes heterosexuals ALL the time. Says things "heterosexuals are an abomination!!" Calls children, "Crotch droppings" (which is kind of a funny name, but really weird none the less). She is constantly calling me a "breeder". I have never and would never, even though I have been given "permission" to, call her derogatory names.

It hurts my feelings. Am I being too sensitive? If you need any more details just ask. Thanks!

Your sister is rude and crude. Her inability to control it could be related to her mental illness.

I would suggest you establish some firm boundries with her and keep a bit of distance - there really is no reasoning with crazy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 04:52 PM

218 posts, read 455,001 times
Thank you to everyone for all the good advice! Good to know it's not just me!

Old 06-25-2011, 06:31 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
saywha...when your sister says to you that heterosexuals are an abomination...you should stop her right there...you should tell her that when she's decided that you're not an abomination....and that she can show more respect to your children...then and only then will you continue to see her......there is no reason at all that you should subject yourself to her hurtful verbal abuse just because she's you sister....and by the way...I have a bi-polar sibling and in no way is he as rude and abnoxious as your sister.

Old 06-25-2011, 06:35 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,218,986 times
Quote:
I
My sis does something that really irritates me. She verbally bashes heterosexuals ALL the time. Says things "heterosexuals are an abomination!!" Calls children, "Crotch droppings" (which is kind of a funny name, but really weird none the less). She is constantly calling me a "breeder". I have never and would never, even though I have been given "permission" to, call her derogatory names.

It hurts my feelings. Am I being too sensitive? If you need any more details just ask. Thanks!
I have to admit I lol'ed at 'crotch droppings'!!!

Having said that I really don't think that reverse racism or inthis case reverse homophobia is any better than actual homophobia.

Can you talk to your sister in private and tell her that you object to her labeling you as much as she would object to you labeling her?

If not then I would call her out every time she says something bigoted.

Homosexuals have to put up with a lot and she may be taking out on you the same kind of behavior she has to endure herself from others. However this is not a good excuse for her behavior and you need to tell her to cut it out.

Old 06-25-2011, 07:28 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,310,183 times
I would not stay in the same room with someone who treated me with so little respect. Being family does not excuse this type of behavior. Neither do her mental problems. If it happens again, you should state how you feel and excuse yourself from her presence. Then, let your family know that you will not attend family gatherings with her, if she cannot control herself. Some people use excuses to say hateful things, when in reality there is no excuse for such rudeness.

Old 06-25-2011, 07:32 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
I would not stay in the same room with someone who treated me with so little respect. Being family does not excuse this type of behavior. Neither do her mental problems. If it happens again, you should state how you feel and excuse yourself from her presence. Then, let your family know that you will not attend family gatherings with her, if she cannot control herself. Some people use excuses to say hateful things, when in reality there is no excuse for such rudeness.
Agreed

Like I said already, our OP needs to establish some boundries with her sis.

Old 06-26-2011, 02:50 AM

1,841 posts, read 3,172,649 times
Well Being Bi-polar and or BPD resemble each other as far as common indicators..

AS far as her degrading you and your choice to be hetero is wrong period..

Being a lesbian and part of a minority and knowing how much it hurts to be stereotyped and bashed she should understand how it feels..

Have you brought the reality to her attention?

Old 06-26-2011, 08:08 AM

This sort of thing has happened MANY times. And I believe it's kind of my fault, because I don't speak up. But she's not only directing it at me, it's all hetero's. The main reason why I haven't said anything is because of her disorder. She feels things so intensly, she would take my tiny tic-tac sized comment, and perceive it as REJECTION. To which she will fly off the handle. And by fly off the handle, that means, cussing and yelling then she would leave (no matter where we are) and she would end up not speaking to me for any length of time.
Naturally you would think, "good! let her go and be away from you!" But the problem with that is, I happen to love her very much, and she's pretty good most of the time, easy going. But when she gets angry it's like 10x more angry than a normal person (I worry for her partner). *Look up the video on youtube called "greatest freak out ever" That boy in that video was just like her, minus the remote thing.
But I've decided she's just going to have to get angry. Why should my feelings not even be considered? Furthermore, I will make sure at least one other person is around to hear exactly what I say, so she can't misconstrue anything. If sh*t hits the fan, so be it.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:17 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,719,353 times
Quote:
This sort of thing has happened MANY times. And I believe it's kind of my fault, because I don't speak up. But she's not only directing it at me, it's all hetero's. The main reason why I haven't said anything is because of her disorder. She feels things so intensly, she would take my tiny tic-tac sized comment, and perceive it as REJECTION. To which she will fly off the handle. And by fly off the handle, that means, cussing and yelling then she would leave (no matter where we are) and she would end up not speaking to me for any length of time.
Naturally you would think, "good! let her go and be away from you!" But the problem with that is, I happen to love her very much, and she's pretty good most of the time, easy going. But when she gets angry it's like 10x more angry than a normal person (I worry for her partner). *Look up the video on youtube called "greatest freak out ever" That boy in that video was just like her, minus the remote thing.
But I've decided she's just going to have to get angry. Why should my feelings not even be considered? Furthermore, I will make sure at least one other person is around to hear exactly what I say, so she can't misconstrue anything. If sh*t hits the fan, so be it.
Good for you! Personality disorder/mental illness or not, you have the right to speak up. The thing of it is....you KNOW what might happen, she might get angry, but you always have the right to walk away and not deal with it. Your family also has the right to ask her to leave until she chills out, too. I have several grown kids....2 of them sons and THIS is my house. If someone at MY house gets angry and/or out of control, I have absolutely no problem saying, "Okay..that's ENOUGH. If you can't behave like a considerate, civilized human being, it's time for you to leave now. You are more than welcome to return...once you've calmed yourself down and can be civil again...but for now....chill or leave. You WILL not speak to people like that in MY home!! EVER!!"

Old 06-26-2011, 08:33 AM

WOOHOO Beachmel!! Fortunately for her, she hasn't tried this under my own roof! Then I would've been COMPELLED to say something. Yeah, she's 27 years old, with home of her own, so I guess she's grown. But this very issue with people "correcting" her, prevents her from holding down a job, which I think is BS, but there's really nothing I can do about THAT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology