Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 07:02 AM

218 posts, read 455,183 times

Advertisements

I have a sister who is a lesbian.
She was diagnosed with Bi-polar but I think she shows more signs of Borderline personality disorder.
Before I go any further, I want to make it known that I am very supportive of her and her partner (her partner is like another sister to me, most of the time I like her more than my own sis).

My sis does something that really irritates me. She verbally bashes heterosexuals ALL the time. Says things "heterosexuals are an abomination!!" Calls children, "Crotch droppings" (which is kind of a funny name, but really weird none the less). She is constantly calling me a "breeder". I have never and would never, even though I have been given "permission" to, call her derogatory names.

It hurts my feelings. Am I being too sensitive? If you need any more details just ask. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 07:34 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,724,506 times
Wow....NO, you're not being too sensitive! It sounds like your sister has diarrhea of the mouth! Sorry if THAT sounds insensitive, but jeez... Kids=crotch droppings! Heterosexuals=abominations! Clearly, your sister could use a bit of your sensitivity....because it looks like you are the one who ended up with all of it. ((((hugs))))

Saywha, I've got a couple of siblings like that and honestly, I have nothing to do with them. They're rude and obnoxious. If they were not related to me, I would avoid them like a rat carrying the plague....so?...I avoid them. LOL If I have to be around them and they drop their obnoxious, inappropriate comments, I call them on it and it makes for a tense moment, but if they've got a right to free speech, you can bet I'm going to use MY rights too. Seriously, I can't stand people like that and if that makes me too sensitive, then I wear the badge proudly.

Thank you for your sensitivity and sensibility...I, for one, appreciate it!

Old 06-25-2011, 07:39 AM

869 posts, read 972,310 times
You sound extremely annoyed! Are you her captive audience or are you voluntarily exposing yourself to her presence? All organisms, even amoebas flee from irritating stimuli if they can avoid it. It's not just natural but it's a human right in the service of self-preservation and emotional psychological well-being. In fact, it is a duty. We can't love others unless we love ourselves first.

Old 06-25-2011, 07:40 AM

Thanx Beachmel! As usual, great post!

The old sayin goes, you can pick your friends but not your fam!!! UGH!

Old 06-25-2011, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radrook View Post
You sound extremely annoyed! Are you her captive audience or are you voluntarily exposing yourself to her presence? All organisms, even amoebas flee from irritating stimuli if they can avoid it. It's not just natural but it's a human right in the service of self-preservation and emotional psychological well-being. In fact, it is a duty. We can't love others unless we love ourselves first.
No, I NEVER just go over to her house to hang out or anything. The only time we spend together is family dinners and such. And I think I will use Beachmel's suggestion and voice my issue when the occasion arises. I just feel awkward "rocking the boat".

Old 06-25-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saywha View Post
No, I NEVER just go over to her house to hang out or anything. The only time we spend together is family dinners and such. And I think I will use Beachmel's suggestion and voice my issue when the occasion arises. I just feel awkward "rocking the boat".
Honey, SHE is the one starting that boat rocking when she opens her mouth and says things like that. You can bet that very few people in your family appreciate her rude, insensitive comments....someone's got to grab hold of the oars. It might as well be you! Even if all you do is say, "OMG...REALLY? Why would you even SAY something like that? Are you REALLY that incapable of having a NORMAL conversation? Where are your friggin' manners? " Then get up and leave the room. That leaves the rest of the group raising their eyebrows and inwardly smiling, because they wish THEY would have said that to her a long time ago!

Even my dad (rest his soul) used to make stupid, inappropriate comments like that. I can't count the times my (normal) siblings later said to me, "I wish I could be more like you. I'm just not as strong like you. God I wish I had the nerve to come out and say something!" I'd say, "What's he gonna DO ground me? Send me to my room?" (or in the case of an inappropriate sibling)..."What's he/she gonna do, beat me up, right at the dinner table? He's/she's RUDE and inappropriate and I'd be wrong to not point that out!"

I mean, some people are so used to "getting away with" opening their mouths and saying ignorant things around their families, that it becomes a habit. Those "loved ones" then go out into the general public and make statements that are offensive and their lives are much worse for it. I feel, the least you can do is be honest with your family members. It might help to prevent them from making a$$es out of themselves in the outside world.

Old 06-25-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Honey, SHE is the one starting that boat rocking when she opens her mouth and says things like that. You can bet that very few people in your family appreciate her rude, insensitive comments....someone's got to grab hold of the oars. It might as well be you! Even if all you do is say, "OMG...REALLY? Why would you even SAY something like that? Are you REALLY that incapable of having a NORMAL conversation? Where are your friggin' manners? " Then get up and leave the room. That leaves the rest of the group raising their eyebrows and inwardly smiling, because they wish THEY would have said that to her a long time ago!

Even my dad (rest his soul) used to make stupid, inappropriate comments like that. I can't count the times my (normal) siblings later said to me, "I wish I could be more like you. I'm just not as strong like you. God I wish I had the nerve to come out and say something!" I'd say, "What's he gonna DO ground me? Send me to my room?" (or in the case of an inappropriate sibling)..."What's he/she gonna do, beat me up, right at the dinner table? He's/she's RUDE and inappropriate and I'd be wrong to not point that out!"

I mean, some people are so used to "getting away with" opening their mouths and saying ignorant things around their families, that it becomes a habit. Those "loved ones" then go out into the general public and make statements that are offensive and their lives are much worse for it. I feel, the least you can do is be honest with your family members. It might help to prevent them from making a$$es out of themselves in the outside world.
Noted! She just lets it fly, if it comes up it comes out, ya know what I mean.
And everyone in my fam says the same ole same ole, "You know (her name), you know how she is." And I AM sick of hearing that.
Well, you can bet next time, SOMETHING will be said

Old 06-25-2011, 08:21 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
I think your sister has issues that she hasn't worked out yet... you know how a lot of homophobes bash gays because they are gay themselves... perhaps your sister is bashing heterosexual because she is fighting against her "straight" side.... You should ask her EVERYTIME she bashes heterosexual people, you sure talk about heterosexual people alot, are you sure your a lesbian? She will probably stop after that... and keep telling her that you don't believe she is a lesbian because she keeps talking about heterosexuals... it will get her to be quiet about it...

Old 06-25-2011, 08:27 AM

Yes, clearly she's got some deep seated reasoning (whether logical or not) behind her heterosexual comments. It sounds like a defense mechanism working overtime. Still though, she's BASHING every heterosexual in the group and simply getting away with it. It's obnoxious and rude! Is she projecting? Thinking that homosexuals are an abomination, even though she is one, so she's lashing out at everyone who's NOT homosexual? She just sounds like she's completely intolerant of anyone who thinks differently than she does and that is so very wrong!

Old 06-25-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saywha View Post
Noted! She just lets it fly, if it comes up it comes out, ya know what I mean.
And everyone in my fam says the same ole same ole, "You know (her name), you know how she is." And I AM sick of hearing that.
Well, you can bet next time, SOMETHING will be said
Unfortunately saywha....some people are just socially retarded! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology