Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 08:35 PM

326 posts, read 813,532 times

Advertisements

I have been told I have none.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 08:43 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,852,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetybird11208 View Post
I find that hard to believe. Could there be some disorder that causes this?

My opinion, for what it is worth, is that you would show a lot of personality, when among the right people.

I'm at my best with people of ideas. People who's main interest is the accumulation of things or gossip about people they barely know, would likely say that I and people I enjoy associating with have no personality but they would be wrong. People often say that about others who they have difficulty mingling with.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:47 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
Everyone has one. Some kind or other. Just find people who have similar interest as you.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:03 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,936,282 times
I think the only thing you can do is ask this person what he or she meant.

None of us know what prompted this person to say this to you.

I cannot even venture a guess on what it means without knowing what happened prior to this person saying this.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:07 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,687,113 times
I'd imagine like Bartleby the scrivener.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:28 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times
Quote:
By how many people? I'd say get some new friends. Or enemies. Some people are just mean.

But, just for entertainment purposes, I'll describe one of my ex's old co-workers. He was handsome--looked like a Ken doll as my ex described him. When ex tried to engage him in conversation, he could find absolutely no topic that the man was interested in. He didn't like movies, music, food, hobbies, entertainment of any kind. He wasn't interested in the job, and had no sense of humor--all jokes went completely over his head. He was like an automaton. He brought the same peanut butter and jelly sandwich and red delicious apple for lunch every day and had no vices. One day the ex got exasperated and said, "Well what do you like to do then? I've asked you about nearly everything!" The man didn't even get offended, but he thought for a minute and then said, "I like to mow the lawn." !!

Old 06-30-2011, 09:31 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
We all see others based on one's likes and dislikes, from childhood. It means that what one "perceives" of others is much a projection of oneself, like when ones looks in a mirror. Your personality as seen by the person who told you about it, could very well be one that he or she ID's because that's what he or she has experienced in life. In other words, his or her own personality

Just relax and don't let that get to you. Like others have told you, mingle with other type of people.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:08 PM

630 posts, read 1,048,658 times
Audrina Patridge.

But on a serious note, you probably do have a personality but perhaps you feel safer bringing it out around certain people. My friend for example has been told by the men she'd dated who have abused her physically/emotionally/ (o how funny she just texted me, nice synch!!) that she's dull. When she's around me however she's witty, uses hilarious american expressions, and is a storyteller. Around her men however she probably shrinks into someone she thinks they want her to be and she's not being her authentic self. So surround yourself with positive people you can be yourself around who complement your great qualities. Just a thought.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:11 PM

1,206 posts, read 2,926,814 times
i think people that people say have no personality usually haven't been socialized as a kid. They kept to themselves or had no friends during their childhood and as adults usually dont have anyfriends. They tend to feel alienated and different and wish they could show their true self instead of feeling anxiety in social situations.

Tweety, its important to accept yourself for who you are. Id suggest you to make friendships with older people. They aren't as callous and tend to be more appreciative of people who aren't like hyper monkeys (aka people with "personality"). Or make friends with new comers, they are more likely to be friendly so as to make new friends.

Old 07-01-2011, 05:53 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,188,149 times
Quote:
That sucks. You must feel very hurt.

Could you tell me a little more about yourself, like your likes and dislikes? What is something you are good at?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology