Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 04:43 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,139,577 times

Advertisements

I read a lot of websites like

Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence | Google Groups

and Luminosity which follow the same principles as Nintendo Brain Training - where you perform memory, attention and logic exercises with the hope you will improve your overall brain function and which will then improve your IQ.

Now I am sceptical because - they might help may be able to improve your short term memory, thereby increase the amount of information you can hold to make you think clearer. But did 15 years of Education make me any smarter, perhaps a little but I don't think it made that much difference.

Assuming all this stuff does not work - how can actually make yourself smarter -

Is actually possible to take someone with IQ of say 100 - working as taxi driver, and them to become much smarter with enough effort, by being able to design and develop things, do a PHD in mathmatics etc, write an academic, develop complex software - you get the idea - something requires some real brain power.

Or will it ever be possible to smarter than you basic IQ - If you think how much knowledge is available on the internet to everyone, does this actually make us smarter or just more knowledge.

The basic of advice of read lots, work your brain hard, do lots of puzzles etc - yes might help push you to your limit, but if its not something you take to naturally then your not going to keep it up - and its hardly going to turn you into genius.

Surely genuinely smart people don't even need to do this, they already thinking skills to do whatever they want. All the education and working hard will only get you so far.

If you think of someone you know your smarter than - Is it likely that person will become smarter than you just by trying to do the same things as you? They cannot know exactly how you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 05:52 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,681,265 times
You can increase your cognitive ability. You can increase your memory and your knowledge with training/practice.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
You can increase your cognitive ability. You can increase your memory and your knowledge with training/practice.
By how much ?- significantly to actually make you be able to understand things you struggled with, or go from a D student to A student.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:34 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,773,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post
I read a lot of websites like

Dual N-Back, Brain Training & Intelligence | Google Groups

and Luminosity which follow the same principles as Nintendo Brain Training - where you perform memory, attention and logic exercises with the hope you will improve your overall brain function and which will then improve your IQ.

Now I am sceptical because - they might help may be able to improve your short term memory, thereby increase the amount of information you can hold to make you think clearer. But did 15 years of Education make me any smarter, perhaps a little but I don't think it made that much difference.

Assuming all this stuff does not work - how can actually make yourself smarter -

Is actually possible to take someone with IQ of say 100 - working as taxi driver, and them to become much smarter with enough effort, by being able to design and develop things, do a PHD in mathmatics etc, write an academic, develop complex software - you get the idea - something requires some real brain power.

Or will it ever be possible to smarter than you basic IQ - If you think how much knowledge is available on the internet to everyone, does this actually make us smarter or just more knowledge.

The basic of advice of read lots, work your brain hard, do lots of puzzles etc - yes might help push you to your limit, but if its not something you take to naturally then your not going to keep it up - and its hardly going to turn you into genius.

Surely genuinely smart people don't even need to do this, they already thinking skills to do whatever they want. All the education and working hard will only get you so far.

If you think of someone you know your smarter than - Is it likely that person will become smarter than you just by trying to do the same things as you? They cannot know exactly how you think.
If a person isnt going to EFFECTIVELY APPLY that attained increased in IQ knowledge , then it is nothing but an ego-trip ; theres plenty of smart people who arent applying themselves in Society . A few months ago there was a Man on TV who has a very high IQ ... and he was a Bouncer at a Bar , but ohhh could he talk about Quantum Mechanics and Nano-biology .

Old 08-09-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
If a person isnt going to EFFECTIVELY APPLY that attained increased in IQ knowledge , then it is nothing but an ego-trip ; theres plenty of smart people who arent applying themselves in Society . A few months ago there was a Man on TV who has a very high IQ ... and he was a Bouncer at a Bar , but ohhh could he talk about Quantum Mechanics and Nano-biology .

Yes I seen the same thing - why could he not apply that High IQ to something practical real world example, something tangible, an invention - write some really clever piece of software....

Or is so he clever that would be too easy for him.

Actually thats another trait I see these days - people who pontificate about and hide behind rhetoric, words, deceptions -try to present themselves as being as very smart but turn out to be just average.

Of you take an average workplace - there are in my opinion a small percentage of genuinely smart people who make things happen, and then there is rest of us.

I was reading that book the Bell Curve - basically saying that all those with high IQs are the ones for most part the run the goverment and are CEOs of most large corporations - all your IVY league Graduate types. The run our society.

It sort of goes against the argument - that anyone can make it with enough hard work?

Old 08-09-2011, 02:01 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,773,843 times
Quote:
Yes I seen the same thing - why could he not apply that High IQ to something practical real world example, something tangible, an invention - write some really clever piece of software....

Or is so he clever that would be too easy for him.

Actually thats another trait I see these days - people who pontificate about and hide behind rhetoric, words, deceptions -try to present themselves as being as very smart but turn out to be just average.

I dont know the answer to why he couldnt apply himself better except perhaps that Employers want people who have earned Degrees...and who are not just savvy from reading books and periodicals and who are good at retaining that knowledge and bringing it to the surface at the right moment.

Your last paragraph brings to mind people who proudly display their University on the back glass of thier automobile trying to impress people that they dont know or like....or who dont even care .

I once knew a graduate Pharmacologist who could not find a job in his Field and ended up pumping gasoline for quite awhile ; at least he didnt have so much pride that he wasnt willing to work a menial job.

Old 08-12-2011, 05:32 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,681,265 times
Quote:
By how much ?- significantly to actually make you be able to understand things you struggled with, or go from a D student to A student.
I do think a D student can go from an A student, but I never saw grades as a means to judge a persons IQ. As for your real question, how much an can IQ actually be increased, I have no idea.

Old 08-12-2011, 06:30 AM

24,415 posts, read 23,070,474 times
My 83 year old mother does those Sudoku puzzles because she worries about alzheimers. She's good at them and I tried one and found them hard. I used to do crossword puzzles but never had enough time to finish them. Then a coworker did one and blew through it in about a lunch hour. I was impressed and he said that its a matter of practice and knowing often reused words and phrases. Me, I like doing the Jumbles and can do them in a minute. Repetition and practice.
I do know that video games can improve your reaction times and dexterity.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:48 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,624,973 times
Quote:
Why? Why should he do that? Not everyone is interested in creating something "useful" - sometimes the most useful thing you can be is useless.

I think it's hilarious that people assume that just because you are lettered you need to do something clever, or world-shaking, or exotic with your knowledge. Whatever happened to "knowledge for the sake of knowledge"? This isn't a Communist country where we are told from childhood what we are going to do for the rest of our life, based upon some government-contrived testing and evaluation. We're free to be "smart" and enjoy our lives without having to be part of the dog-and-pony show.

~ From a bouncer with two doctorates

Old 08-14-2011, 01:45 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Emotional and social intelligence are more important than IQ.

See any of Daniel Goleman's books for more:

Amazon.com: daniel golemen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology