Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 10:41 AM

109 posts, read 230,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post
Don't they know the hardships of having a child? Especially the way the world is today.

They should know that raising a child takes a lot of hard work and patience with lots of energy, and is expensive. Why don't they enjoy their lives now and wait later on when their really ready?

And thanks to T.V. "reality shows" like Teen Mom, teenagers girls want to do the same by getting pregnant early.
I'll be 20 next month, my husband is 23 and our DS is 8 months. I'm enjoying my life immensely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 04:22 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,058,982 times
Quote:
Don't they know the hardships of having a child? Especially the way the world is today.

They should know that raising a child takes a lot of hard work and patience with lots of energy, and is expensive. Why don't they enjoy their lives now and wait later on when their really ready?

And thanks to T.V. "reality shows" like Teen Mom, teenagers girls want to do the same by getting pregnant early.
First of all, I'm not at all sure that teens these days want that. Second of all, do you mean early 20's or just 20's in general? IMO there is a big difference in having kids at 20 and having kids at 29.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:06 PM

15,970 posts, read 20,957,574 times
Quote:

I think I had more of that when I was younger!

There are pros and cons to each side. I had young parents and it was a blast to be able to play and roughhouse with them. They were also young and active grandparents, a nice plus.
Older parents might be more mature and financially secure but that's not always a given. I had my kids in my very late twenties and because of other things that happened in my life I wasn't any more secure financially at that point than I was in earlier years. I'm also wondering if by the time I have grand kids I'm going to be too old and crotchety to enjoy them when they become teens???

Old 11-04-2011, 08:17 PM

8 posts, read 17,584 times
When I was 16, I met my future husband in math class. A year out of college, we got married and paid for our own wedding. 10 mths later, we had our firstborn. We love being a parent, we feel like we are having the best time of our lives. We just bought our first house in an upper middle income area and are expecting another child. We are enjoying our lives now and feel like we are really ready. Not all young pple are immature.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:16 AM

192 posts, read 824,748 times
My husband and I have been married 2 years, but we dated for 10 years previous to that. I'm now 28 and he's 29 with our birthdays approaching soon. We're 7 1/2 months pregnant with our first child.

I will admit when I was about 20 I did really want to have a child. I think that it wouldn't have been the best choice; I wasn't very responsible, focused, and was generally untidy. It would have been hard, since at the time we could barely figure out what we wanted to do in life and where we wanted or needed to be. But we would have made it work, and maybe our lives would have been different a bit because we would have had to provide for our baby earlier. Who knows if it would have been for the better or the worse.

We waited until now because we wanted to get married first and we wanted to have a stable home with stable incomes (or at least potential for stable incomes, as my husband is still a pharmacy student at the moment). We've found that it's never really a good time (pretty much as soon as I found out that I got pregnant, I had more and more important tasks to do at work, I have to find a new place to live as my lease is up soon, and my husband is so busy with his pharmacy doctorate program that I still have to do a ton of the work around the house. Sometimes, you can only wait so long, and it'll never be a great time. We just went for it.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:08 PM

144 posts, read 306,113 times
Quote:

Having them in there twenties is ok by me. As long as the parents are mature and responsible. I see more and more early twenty something parrents dump their kids on grandparents. It seems more grandparents are getting to raise their kids. kids.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:09 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,159,137 times
they got no future and nothin to lose.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:47 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,186,721 times
It seems like the generation in their 20s and 30s now are more "traditional" than the one before it. Makes sense actually. Search a thread on Strauss-Howe generational theory. I think that can explain a lot.

Also, the highest teen birth rates ever in our country was in the 1950s.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:47 AM

2,488 posts, read 4,311,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
It seems like the generation in their 20s and 30s now are more "traditional" than the one before it. Makes sense actually. Search a thread on Strauss-Howe generational theory. I think that can explain a lot.

Also, the highest teen birth rates ever in our country was in the 1950s.
Yep, we saw the same thing happen with the GI generation, who were the equivalent to today's Millennial generation. The second half of the GI generation started a trend towards earlier and more frequent marriages as well as a higher birth and younger ages at parenthood. After the war ended in 1945, the GIs were the ones to re-enforce "traditional gender roles". This has been something that's been noticed roughly every 80 years during the High era. The Hero archetypes (which is what the GIs were and what Millennials today are) have historically been the ones to start the trend towards widening sex roles. On the other hand, the Prophets (Missionary generations and Boomers are examples) narrow them.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:45 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,674,965 times
Im 20 and my boyfriend and I decided to start a family now for a few reasons. A) he has a son and we wanted them to be close in age. B) I feel it would be easier energy wise to raise a teen in my 30's rather than wait until im in my 40's. C) We are financially capable and D) We plan on having more children so we might as well get this show in the road lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology