Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 11:09 AM

217 posts, read 431,167 times

Advertisements

I'm 27 and yes I am now a grumpy 27 year old female because I see my generation like you, for what they really are. Let me tell you, it is WORSE with those younger than us.

I have met few people in my age group that could live happy, fufilled lives without having a smart phone, could live without more gadgets, and could go on without a TV (yes watching TV on your computer counts), etc.

I think the more modern technology has become, the more we lack real stimulation and patience. People today are used to filling their "bored time" with time spend playing on their phone or listening to their IpOd or however the hell you type that.

But I'm the grumpy one for not being fooled into following the norm for people my age today. I won't get a smart phone (hell I rarely even use my cell phone), have no texting plan (yup you heard right), have lived without having a tv, and with the exception of looking things up for convience purposes online could be happy without internet access at home. I also am about to get rid of Facebook. I don't care about all the pictures of what your dinner looks like, your status posts about how you just went to the gym, and seeing you tagged in a million photos of how social you really are. People today do not have a mind of their own, are indulgent, try to present themselves as something else, and live for the moment and the now.

People like you and I are at the other end of Generation Y's spectrum. There are people like us out here, just not many

I will say this about myself, I know that I have become less tolerant, more angry, and have been more irritated and annoyed by things and behavior as I have aged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2011, 11:25 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMoon17 View Post

I will say this about myself, I know that I have become less tolerant, more angry, and have been more irritated and annoyed by things and behavior as I have aged.

I'd much rather enjoy time on my computer when I'm bored, be able to find out any information I want to find out, play games when I want to play games at any time of the day than to be a grumpy 27 year old whining because people like to play on their phones. I think you should re-read your post and think about your life.

Old 12-24-2011, 11:36 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
I'm gen X, but will weigh in anyway.

Yes, a lot of people like to watch TV and have sex. Been that way for quite awhile, especially the sex part.

But I can't believe you can't join clubs anymore in college, play sports, find like minded people whatever it might be. I have a lot of nieces and nephews and quite a few of them do much more than how you view yourselves.

What do you do that's interesting?

Old 12-24-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I'd much rather enjoy time on my computer when I'm bored, be able to find out any information I want to find out, play games when I want to play games at any time of the day than to be a grumpy 27 year old whining because people like to play on their phones. I think you should re-read your post and think about your life.

Due to your post, I am no longer grumpy and rethought my life in 5 minutes now a changed woman.

No really. Instead of doing things when I'm bored which require little to no stimulation I read a book, strike up a conversation with a stranger, write, etc.

Again you responded harshly because you are the norm, not me so congrats on that. Life is much easier for people like you because you are not the outlier like me.

Old 12-24-2011, 12:34 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
College age adults in the 60's did not grow up watching TV.

When TV came out, it had limited programming, NO SEX and the broadcast went off-air after 10pm.

It took decades for TV to come to the place we see it today.

In that process divorce went wild. Your looking at an era when it was abnormal to be raised in a 'broken home'. Whereas today how many of your fellow students grew up with a nuclear family: one biological-father, one biological-mother [neither of them having any previous marriages] and a group of siblings.

Today it is more common for TV to be raising children, in the absence of parents.

Old 12-24-2011, 12:40 PM

691 posts, read 1,426,609 times
Quote:
I'm 27 and yes I am now a grumpy 27 year old female because I see my generation like you, for what they really are. Let me tell you, it is WORSE with those younger than us.
I'm 24 and I noticed the same thing. But that's because when we were growing up, the internet was still in its infancy and was pretty much used for research purposes instead of social interaction. The internet wasn't really mainstream until the late 90s. It wasn't until 2006/2007 that sites like myspace, facebook, youtube & twitter exploded. The only thing us 90s kids had were video games. And even then, they were fairly simple, you had to be home to play them and you couldn't play them online, if you wanted to play with others you actually had to invite them over your house. Hell, one thing I remember doing as a kid was playing street hockey every day until the sun went down, with other neighborhood kids. I live in the same neighborhood and now I rarely see kids playing sports in the street.

The most important thing that separates us and them is the fact that we couldn't simply access the internet on the fly like you can today. You had to be home in front of a laptop or a desktop if you wanted to log into your favorite site. And back then, computers were so expensive that it was rare for a child to have their own computer. Sure, Cell phones were around but most of them were simple. If they did have the internet it was a watered-down version. Now you can watch whatever TV show you want and you can access any site you want. Kids that are 12, 13, and 14 today are getting used to "instant gratification" and this proliferation of super-fast cell phones is a great example.

The funny thing is, 5-6 years ago people thought that mobile internet would have never gone mainstream.

Old 12-24-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamCharger1985 View Post
I'm 24 and I noticed the same thing. But that's because when we were growing up, the internet was still in its infancy and was pretty much used for research purposes instead of social interaction. The internet wasn't really mainstream until the late 90s. It wasn't until 2006/2007 that sites like myspace, facebook, youtube & twitter exploded.

The most important thing that separates us and them is the fact that we couldn't simply access the internet on the fly like you can today. You had to be home in front of a laptop or a desktop if you wanted to log into your favorite site. Sure, Cell phones were around but most of them were simple. If they did have the internet it was a watered-down version. Kids that are 12, 13, and 14 today are getting used to "instant gratification" and this proliferation of super-fast cell phones is a great example.

The funny thing is, 5-6 years ago people thought that mobile internet would have never gone mainstream.

You hit the nail on the coffin or however that expression goes LOL.

Instant gratification is what I was trying to say. You lose skills if you are constantly able to replace it with things so that you stop learning patience.

It used to be if there was a long line at a grocery store you would pick up a magazine (not exactly literature LOL I know), or you would strike up a conversation with someone next to you in line. Now you just text someone, go online on your phone, play a game on your phone, or listen to music.

One of my biggest regrets is actually owning a laptop, but for convenience sacks I just cannot get rid of it!! I wish I never started to use the internet because my life was much more fulfilled before it. Awhile ago I did start weening off of it. My goal would be able to actually not have to depend on it period! Makes me feel like a weak person.

Old 12-24-2011, 01:01 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Can you convincingly berate a generation for overuse of technology by posting on an internet board?

Old 12-24-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Can you convincingly berate a generation for overuse of technology by posting on an internet board?

It's subject. There is overuse and then there is overuse. I am disappointed in myself with being online today though

Old 12-24-2011, 01:22 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Quote:
You hit the nail on the coffin or however that expression goes LOL.

Instant gratification is what I was trying to say. You lose skills if you are constantly able to replace it with things so that you stop learning patience.

It used to be if there was a long line at a grocery store you would pick up a magazine (not exactly literature LOL I know), or you would strike up a conversation with someone next to you in line. Now you just text someone, go online on your phone, play a game on your phone, or listen to music.

One of my biggest regrets is actually owning a laptop, but for convenience sacks I just cannot get rid of it!! I wish I never started to use the internet because my life was much more fulfilled before it. Awhile ago I did start weening off of it. My goal would be able to actually not have to depend on it period! Makes me feel like a weak person.
The most disturbing part, is that you actually care.. I didn't respond harshly, I just find you to be an extremely weird person for actually caring what other people do. I find it even worse that you generalize and say that no one reads anymore because they are busy on their cell phones. I go out quite often, and never come across people who are too busy to talk because they are on their cell phones. Don't grow up to be that grumpy old lady that shouts at kids who go in her yard. come on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology