Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 09:11 AM

12,573 posts, read 15,560,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
i've got kids in your age range, not all of them are like that.

I'm lucky that mine are serious and goal oriented as are many of their friends. I suppose it has a lot to do with where and how you're brought up. Mine had the advantage of a rural upbringing and strict parents. We always asked where, who with and when will you be back among other things. Sure, they balked at times but it got them nowhere.

Too many kids today were brought up with little being expected of them and as a result, they expect little of themselves.

You sound like a nice, level headed kid. Trust me, there are more of you out there.

My regards to your parents for a job well done!
As if................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2011, 01:25 PM

973 posts, read 1,704,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Doesn't matter and apology accepted
But it DOES MATTER, and I offered NO APOLOGY.... Case closed.

Old 12-25-2011, 01:30 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,826,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiring_natural View Post
First of all, my parents are immigrants and I came to the States when I was 3, but I am experiencing a lack of coherence in the youth culture surrounding me (in college).

If there was a time period I could have the opportunity to experience, I seriously consider the 60s. Not because I like all the music or anything like that (I'm hardly a fan of rock n roll), but it seems that the youth then - albeit taking it to an extreme sometimes - were much more united in their experience and attitudes, something that is missing in the youth today. I know I am sounding like an old guy for saying what's "missing in the youth today...", but I really don't understand why, even though we often get together and have parties, hang out, date, etc... why everything feels so isolated and fake?

Or maybe it's just me who's already a grumpy 20 year old guy. Hmph
Simple. Young adults are continuing to be infantilized by their parents, the media, and college, the latter of which is bending them over financially while taking this liberty. Because young adults are being infantilized and immersed in a "youth culture" while a select few work their butts off, they don't see the smokescreen hiding the fact that they are being blamed for everything from crime to finances to politics.

Old 12-25-2011, 02:18 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,715,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Your generation proves on a daily basis that you can't find your asses with both hands even when you're given directions. ****, most of you can't communicate on a face to face, one on one basis for 2 minutes. "Oops, sorry I have to take this", "Look at my new Droid", and on and on and on. Customer service from your generation is a farce and forget about being able to answer the simplest question without resorting to bromides.

Oh, poor baby, the 25 year old's portfolio got shredded. So did everyone else's, including those who are now retired or who were planning to. You can't buy a house? What makes you think you are any different than any preceding generation?

Our mistake was not making you guys work for things, instead focusing on helping you, and in the more extreme of cases not practicing better birth control.

If we deceded to get rid of useless eaters a lot more of your generation would be in the Soylent Grenn processing line than mine.

And because it pisses you off so much, "Merry Christmas".
I was on the AMT precor typing up message #40 this am, and believe it or not the intensity and rage were so high, my bodybugg read 880 spent calories after the work out, pepped up by posting a passionate message. That was my pre-Christmas-lunch energy depleter given that I just loaded up on some rich prepared food. So, Merry Christmas to you too, if that even matters to you

Old 12-25-2011, 02:23 PM

217 posts, read 431,230 times
As a 20something person (and have shared your feelings), I couldn't agree more. I'm actually frighten about people in my age group and younger becoming doctors, police officers, etc. Furthermore, with every generation the more that they get thrown gadgets and crap in their face, the less personal skills they have. It's like technology and objects evolved, by people regressed. Likewise, if you are around a bunch of 20something year olds it's like you said with the conversations (if any ORAL CONVERSATION TO EACH OTHER!) being on a fancy new phone, the latest Apple, etc.

I hate have never been a fan of long conversations, but even the most social, outgoing people seem to be awkward on the phone and would rather have a back and forth texting conversation for hours versus a 10 minute phone call.

It's very sad imo. I'm looking forward to December 21, 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Your generation proves on a daily basis that you can't find your asses with both hands even when you're given directions. ****, most of you can't communicate on a face to face, one on one basis for 2 minutes. "Oops, sorry I have to take this", "Look at my new Droid", and on and on and on. Customer service from your generation is a farce and forget about being able to answer the simplest question without resorting to bromides.

Oh, poor baby, the 25 year old's portfolio got shredded. So did everyone else's, including those who are now retired or who were planning to. You can't buy a house? What makes you think you are any different than any preceding generation?

Our mistake was not making you guys work for things, instead focusing on helping you, and in the more extreme of cases not practicing better birth control.

If we deceded to get rid of useless eaters a lot more of your generation would be in the Soylent Grenn processing line than mine.

And because it pisses you off so much, "Merry Christmas".

Old 12-25-2011, 02:25 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,715,345 times
And all of you, before you run your mouths on the misplaced priorities of Gen Y.

That TV and Sex perpetrated from inside the idiot box - MTV, CBS, Fuse, VH1 blah blah blah, it's produced, concocted, directed and hashed out by the so-called adults using youngsters from the Gen Y population as the facade - the brains behind those productions are the same wonder generation which wants Gen Y to step up, as their media business explodes, ratings go high and their stock prices go through the roof.

You would have us believe that 20 year olds are producing and running MTV? Really? Classic case where the butcher was bitching about vegetarianism after supplying meat to everyone in the food chain

Old 12-28-2011, 09:01 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,479,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
I propose an experiment for everyone:
Turn off all electronic gadgets for 1 week. No personal cellphone, no computer, no tv, no ipod. Maybe only focus on the TV.

Can you do it?

I challenged myself. I went without TV for almost 1 year, but I did have internet. I also went without a cellphone for 3 months when I traveled to another country. It was nice.

Without TV, I found numerous other things to occupy my time. I read more, learned more, and went outside more. When people would come over, I would put on some music. Some people felt uncomfortable with to TV to buffer the human interaction, and thought I went crazy. Instead, there are games to play.

When I returned to university later in life, instead of talking before class like we used to do 10 years ago, students would avoid eye contact, stare at their phone, or put their earbuds in. When I attempted to talk to them (not all), some would give my the deer-in-headlights look.

Technology is great, but when it rules one's life it turns evil. I don't like to be dependent on anything, so I always am up for testing myself.
No Internet's not gonna happen as my job depends on it..

No TV is completely different.. I never owned a TV for 10 years (since college) up until recently and don't even own cable (most of the time the TV is used as a 2nd monitor.)

Old 12-28-2011, 09:07 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
u r getting older, not just calendar age.
what seemed so cool b4 no longer fits.
the lack of substance in the young is not imaged.
immaturity is not pretty.
but its guna get much worse for them, they now will go off to create monster college debts
u r so right now give wings to your insights
dont worry about them, go out and learn a debt free trade and live your own life
soon most of them will rack up a monster college loans
for a non existent job

Old 12-28-2011, 09:12 AM

1,410 posts, read 2,139,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiring_natural View Post
First of all, my parents are immigrants and I came to the States when I was 3, but I am experiencing a lack of coherence in the youth culture surrounding me (in college).

If there was a time period I could have the opportunity to experience, I seriously consider the 60s. Not because I like all the music or anything like that (I'm hardly a fan of rock n roll), but it seems that the youth then - albeit taking it to an extreme sometimes - were much more united in their experience and attitudes, something that is missing in the youth today. I know I am sounding like an old guy for saying what's "missing in the youth today...", but I really don't understand why, even though we often get together and have parties, hang out, date, etc... why everything feels so isolated and fake?

Or maybe it's just me who's already a grumpy 20 year old guy. Hmph
Younger adults, regardless of generation care more about sex due to high levels of testosterone, which wane as we age.
If things seem isolated and fake, I think that texting, video games and other technology have something to do with it.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:35 AM

3,920 posts, read 6,832,743 times
I think this is a common trend in EVERY generation. The old saying "grumpy old man" comes from the fact that every older generation always bashes on the new generations as being lazy, entitled, and brought up in a narrow minded world. Whether or not there is any truth to that, I do not know. What I DO know is that there are plenty of intellgent, and dumb, people in every generation. After all, aren't us 20-somethings A LOT more open to diversity, aren't we the technologically advanced generation, aren't we the ones who prefer organized teamwork over every man for himself?

There are pros and cons to ever generation, but what it comes down to is change. People are always afraid of change. This new generation is changing the way society functions, and it scares us. Here is an excellent link for information surrounding our benefits towards society. Keep an open mind...

MSN Careers - Gen Y's impact in the workplace - Career Advice Article

BTW, sex is more important in young adults for obvious reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology