Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is self esteem as important as people make it out to be?
Woman: Yes. Self esteem is as important as it seems. 22 57.89%
Man: Yes. Self esteem is as important as it seems. 7 18.42%
Woman: No. Self esteem is not a big deal after all. 2 5.26%
Man: No. Self esteem is not a big deal after all. 7 18.42%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 06:45 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,728,260 times

Advertisements

People seems to make a big stink over self esteem, I get tired of hearing about it. The way some people talk about it is as if it's going to clear everything up for a person, make things clear. I also notice it peppered throughout a lot of answers given in this section... Well, I come to the conclusion it's another B.S. concept like CBT Therapy. Where somebody benefited somewhere in the world and now we all can . Self esteem is pushed onto people and in the end it's just another abstract concept that doesn't amount provide any more answers then anything else...Anyways what are your thoughts on self esteem as a concept?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 06:48 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
Anyways what are your thoughts on self esteem as a concept?
I think if it bothers you that much you should have enough self esteem to ignore it.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:50 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,728,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I think if it bothers you that much you should have enough self esteem to ignore it.
Cute. Maybe other people will actually give insight to the actual question.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:50 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Because poor self esteem usually leads to poor decision making.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:52 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
People seems to make a big stink over self esteem, I get tired of hearing about it. The way some people talk about it is as if it's going to clear everything up for a person, make things clear. I also notice it peppered throughout a lot of answers given in this section... Well, I come to the conclusion it's another B.S. concept like CBT Therapy. Where somebody benefited somewhere in the world and now we all can . Self esteem is pushed onto people and I don't think in the end it really means much of anything... Anyways what are your thoughts on self esteem as a concept?
Self-esteem is important. People that lack self-esteem are easily offended by little things, go overboard when they feel they are mistreated, spend too much time fantasizing about revenge, and feel sorry for themselves.
People with low self-esteem have problems (like Drama Queens). Instead of thinking they explode into rage, screams and tears. People with low self-esteem run along with popular opinions without thinking for themselves; they do not trust their own minds, but prefer to be accepted in a group.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:53 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Because poor self esteem usually leads to poor decision making.
SE also says that we have value and worth as a human being. To lack SE, means we don't feel we are worthy of what we are capable of achieving.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:56 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
if your esteem is low enough it drops off radar. super low self esteem is good. it makes ego manipulation very difficult if u dont have any u dont get manipulated.
does this post not make sense? go hang out in a welfare lobby for an hour. watch the pro's handle ego their own and others.
of course in extreme cases, it becomes sociopath--- acting the opposite of how u should feel.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:56 PM

44 posts, read 75,882 times
I think you lack self-esteem, and are in neglect. How is it BS? Rhetorical question, don't answer.

/thread

Old 05-04-2012, 06:57 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,642,088 times
It will not make anything happen for you but it will protect you from being dragged down (so-to-speak) by others.

A friend of mine says that he HAS to love himself because nobody else is guaranteed to love him in this life. There may be something to that.

Self-esteem is sort of like a force-field. You can invite/let people in to fortify it (and you, theirs) or they can stay outside of the field.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:58 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,999,259 times
All good answers so far. It's just plain unappealing to try to have fun with someone with low self esteem. They're too focused on themselves to relax and just have fun.

ETA: Well....a lot of good answers so far anyway. More popped up as I was typing. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology