Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 03:54 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,733,492 times

Advertisements

I think everyone agrees she needs help but the problem is you can't force a person to get help for their alcohol or drug issue.

If she's drinking and driving you can call the Police. That is the right and responsible thing to do. She doesn't have to know who called. It might get her attention, a run in with the law can be a sobering wake up call.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 04:11 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,228,361 times
OP, your friend does need help and you can suggest AA and be her sponsor. The problem though, possibly, is while you only drink excessively on occasion, by you telling her you'll stop drinking isn't fair to you unless you feel you have a problem too (I didn't get that feeling though). Once she's in AA, assuming she'll go, she has to disconnect from everyone. So if she's living with people who drink, it's going to be a huge obstacle for her. Everyone has to agree to no alcohol in the house. If you all go out, either no one drinks or she just simply has to stay away from bars. Even restaurants can be difficult. I know quite a few people who have gone through this. They sometimes don't even come to my house for a gathering because of the alcohol and they've been sober for 10+ years. She's young. Try to get her help now before it gets worse. Before someone dies.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:18 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,543,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
This weekend she went to the bar and got blackout drunk, then left presumably to go home. Well, she didn't make it home, instead she woke up in some random person's apartment. Luckily nothing happened to her (apparently he saw her sitting on the side of the road, talked to her, offered to let her crash at his place instead of leaving her there)... but she could have just as easily run into some scumbag.
"Luckily nothing happened to her", How would she know if she blacked out?

Because shes still alive hes a good samaritan, not a scumbag?

I'd suggest she get checked for STDs.

458 posts, read 611,016 times
I'd sit her down during her sober moment and explain to her that I will not sit passively by while she gets behind the wheel drunk. Period! Hopefully you aren't doing the same when you drink and I would not drink with her. You cannot control her actions but YOU can make a few decisions in the interests of your friendship, your concern for others on the road and hopefully your own integrity.

526 posts, read 954,915 times
The sad thing about this is that in a lot, if not most, of the cases the onw who's killed is the innocent/sober one.

As many have already said, she has to get the help on her own, you can't force her. The only thing you could do to support her would be to stop drinking and/or going to bars with her. She's lucky that guy did not rape her ( or so she thinks) or kill her, but luck does not last forever.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:48 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,686,075 times
thanks for the advice everyone

this whole damn thing has me frustrated. i don't know why I even bother trying, 99% of the time people just get upset with you when all you're tryin to do is be a good friend.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:16 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,995,776 times
First, she has to sincerely want help and want to quit drinking.

After that, she will need a LOT of help because the urge and familiarity of drinking will bring her back. Also, if she is drinking heavily, regularly, she may have to struggle through a bad detox.

For one, I would not encourage, promote, or enable the drinking. Do things with her away from bars and clubs. Don't have alcohol readily available at your place for her. When you would go to bars, go somewhere else instead (shows, movies, sports, museums, parks, etc).

Encourage her to get help to overcome the problem. However, don't push or nag her. She will submit if she really is ready to embrace the help.

Also, be emotionally prepared yourself for her to fail to seek help, or accept it.

I never drank as bad as her, but I did have a drinking problem which I often felt I wanted to quit but deep down, never really had the drive to do so. Once I did, I stopped and never took a sip again. Before then, all my attempts to stop were brief, and failed.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:19 AM

1,204 posts, read 2,526,084 times
Quote:

this whole damn thing has me frustrated. i don't know why I even bother trying, 99% of the time people just get upset with you when all you're tryin to do is be a good friend.
The reason they get upset is because they don't think they have a problem. Until they admit they have problems nothing will change and they will get defensive when confronted.

As I and others have said, you can't make her change. They only thing you can do is not party with her and make sure she doesn't drive while drunk.

Good luck. Someone with an addiction problem can suck the life out of the people around them, so just make sure you don't fall into being an enabler.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:23 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,543,386 times
Quote:

She'll emotionally drain you if you can't turn it off.

You might try Al-Anon for your sanity.

Best Wishes

Old 02-08-2012, 08:26 AM

3,573 posts, read 6,472,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
I think everyone agrees she needs help but the problem is you can't force a person to get help for their alcohol or drug issue.

If she's drinking and driving you can call the Police. That is the right and responsible thing to do. She doesn't have to know who called. It might get her attention, a run in with the law can be a sobering wake up call.
I was going to suggest that too, Martin. Get her license plate # while she's at home and when you know she's out drinking and coming home, call the police and give them the car description and her license #. She won't know you called and don't tell anyone not even your other roommate.

She needs professional help and you or your roommate can talk and talk and she won't listen. It's way beyond that now. She's addicted to alcohol and needs more then what both of you can give her.

Don't waste your time trying to talk her into not drinking. Find an AA chapter and give her the #. It's up to her now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology