Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 04:28 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,819,383 times

Advertisements

I was reading about the tragic story of Joshua Powell blowing up the house his sons lived in, killing them and himself. Powell was violent from a young age. Powell was very controlling towards his (missing) wife..yet even after seeing this early on she married him and had his children.

Would it be fair to say the wife was attracted to the dark side of Powell from the start? It is likely that before she met Powell she rejected men who were nice, non-violent, and non-controlling because they were not "her type". Would it be accurate that men with Powell's personality type project themselves to women as more "confident" than most men even if they are insecure to the extreme? I would argue that the root cause of so much violence and tragedy in family units is women being attracted to evil qualities in men like Powell instead of being repulsed by them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 05:28 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
What you have said about Susan is simply NOT true. She said he changed and she talked divorce for years but could not figure out how to get the kids away from him. When she got serious about divorce he killed her.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 02-10-2012 at 06:02 PM..

Old 02-10-2012, 05:30 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Oh great, another
let's-blame-the-victim thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I was reading about the tragic story of Joshua Powell blowing up the house his sons lived in, killing them and himself. Powell was violent from a young age. Powell was very controlling towards his (missing) wife..yet even after seeing this early on she married him and had his children.

Would it be fair to say the wife was attracted to the dark side of Powell from the start? It is likely that before she met Powell she rejected men who were nice, non-violent, and non-controlling because they were not "her type". Would it be accurate that men with Powell's personality type project themselves to women as more "confident" than most men even if they are insecure to the extreme? I would argue that the root cause of so much violence and tragedy in family units is women being attracted to evil qualities in men like Powell instead of being repulsed by them.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:31 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,728,260 times
Quote:

I have seriously heard it all now.....you males are something else.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:01 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,063,317 times
Quote:

The only thing I know about this story is that he was suspected of killing her (not convicted) and killed himself and his children because he could not deal with the accusations.

Did you know his wife personally? How do you know it is likely she rejected men who were nice, non-violent and non-controlling and how do you know what her type was??

This is really a disturbing post with a lot of conjecture in it. I don't know what your agenda is, but if it's one of these "nice guys finish last" kind of threads, I can assure you, this is the wrong way to go about it.

Nice guys wouldn't post threads about a slain family to prove their "nice guy" point. Martyrs maybe, but not nice guys. They would show a little more respect for a deceased family and not make assumptions about the victims.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:06 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Just another bad boy vs. nice guy spiel, with a twist...

Old 02-10-2012, 06:08 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,202,897 times
That dude had some serious issues. Either that or he was just a flat out scumbag. Either way I don't care about him, there was no reason why those kids had to die.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:20 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,465,757 times
What a tragedy.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:32 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
I know absolutely nothing about this case or the people involved. However, I can tell from the responses that I have read thus far that nobody who has replied has ever been through a difficult divorce with custody issues.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-10-2012, 06:48 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,728,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I know absolutely nothing about this case or the people involved. However, I can tell from the responses that I have read thus far that nobody who has replied has ever been through a difficult divorce with custody issues.

20yrsinBranson
read the case. It's nothing to do with divorce or custody. It's about a person blaming a murdered woman and defending the rights of a man who killed her and hacked his own minor sons up because of their marital issues and choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology