Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 11:00 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times

Advertisements

We're made of rubber. We have the same basic shape, but we can stretch with the circumstances. This shape is determined at birth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 11:08 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
We're made of rubber. We have the same basic shape, but we can stretch with the circumstances. This shape is determined at birth.
That's why we have to watch our diet

Old 02-27-2012, 11:24 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,544,859 times
If that's true, I'm doomed! I was such a mess when I was 18 years old! I like to think I've improved a little since then. I agree about high school reunions, though. I haven't gone to one in a long time, but the last one featured the same cliques, etc. Nah, no thanks. I was happy to get away from those people; I'd prefer not to see them now! As you can probably tell, middle school and high school were very lonely and difficult times for me. I was picked on and made fun of a lot. The only benefit is that now I couldn't care less what people think of me.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:30 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,465,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post

What's your thought? Do you have any examples or opinions on this?
Mike v1989 is nothing like Mike v2012. So, as far as I'm concerned that statistic doesn't apply.

[assuming such a statistic exists ]

Old 02-27-2012, 11:48 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I agree about high school reunions, though. I haven't gone to one in a long time, but the last one featured the same cliques, etc. Nah, no thanks. I was happy to get away from those people; I'd prefer not to see them now!
That's sort of what I meant. No change. Someone from one clique wasn't going to go over to someone from another clique and say "How's it going? What are you doing now?" That is one example of a LACK of change.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:42 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,726,438 times
I think it's a load. What Happens To You In High School:
Is. Not. Your. Destiny!

Old 02-29-2012, 09:45 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times
Quote:
That's sort of what I meant. No change. Someone from one clique wasn't going to go over to someone from another clique and say "How's it going? What are you doing now?" That is one example of a LACK of change.
But if they weren't friends in high school - why would they be friends now after not seeing each other for 20 years? I've never been to one of my reunions - I live across the country from where I went to high school - but if I did go to one, I'd probably want to spend time with the people I was friends with back in high school - not the people I didn't hang out with.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:48 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,728,260 times
Quote:
I have heard this statistic. The one that says 85% of your personality and self-esteem are determined by the time you finish high school. I see it in my friends. They are just grown-up versions of what I knew in high school or college. Their responses to things, situations and crises are as predictable as when they were 18. Went to my 20-year high school reunion. No changes, except that some were a little humbled by having life kick them in the a$$.

What's your thought? Do you have any examples or opinions on this?
This sounds like it's somewhat accurate and I never heard of this theory before. But I agree with the person that said personality probably formed more around ages 7 to 9, because I do remember hearing that one. Shame for some people; early life experiences drastically alter whatever personality they were starting to have, into something else entirely. Oh well, nothing they can do about it now. Water under the bridge.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:25 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,386,514 times
I believe most people don't change their personality that much from the age of 5 onwards. Many things about them change (their outlook, values, perceptions), but their basic personality? I think that's pretty much set at a very young age.

As for people having 85% of their self-esteem set when they leave High School? There would be a huge exception to this. Many people who are nerdy or not good-looking in HS are bullied or traunted. Some of them blossum after they leave HS and turn into non-nerds and beautiful-looking people. All of us have probably known a few people like this. Those types will definitely have their self-esteem bolstered when they finally bloom.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:33 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
I believe most people don't change their personality that much from the age of 5 onwards. Many things about them change (their outlook, values, perceptions), but their basic personality? I think that's pretty much set at a very young age.

As for people having 85% of their self-esteem set when they leave High School? There would be a huge exception to this. Many people who are nerdy or not good-looking in HS are bullied or traunted. Some of them blossum after they leave HS and turn into non-nerds and beautiful-looking people. All of us have probably known a few people like this. Those types will definitely have their self-esteem bolstered when they finally bloom.
I'd actually venture to say that the majority of people experience a boom in self esteem AFTER high school. The teenage years are pretty insecure times for most people - even those that seem to have it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology