Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is self esteem as important as people make it out to be?
Woman: Yes. Self esteem is as important as it seems. 22 57.89%
Man: Yes. Self esteem is as important as it seems. 7 18.42%
Woman: No. Self esteem is not a big deal after all. 2 5.26%
Man: No. Self esteem is not a big deal after all. 7 18.42%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 08:53 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,698,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
Yes it is. And people seem to gravitate, consciously or un, to people who don't beat themselves up for some reason. Go figure.

Really? I can't get people to leave me alone. So yea, go figure there too....But I know, tell me again how 'everybody wants to around those people' because they're so fantastic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 08:55 PM

688 posts, read 894,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Why is self esteem important?

Because with it you can accomplish anything, but without you don't accomplish much, or at least not as much as you are capable of.
I don't know about all that. I think that's what Doll Eyes is getting at. That people think it's the key to a perfect life as you're somewhat implying here.

I will admit that it is important, just for your own health if nothing else. It can't be healthy to feel like crap all day, thinking your life is horrible, there's everything wrong with you and nobody likes you. But to say that just having a high self-esteem will help you accomplish anything you want is a reach.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:01 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,952,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
Really? I can't get people to leave me alone. So yea, go figure there too....But I know, tell me again how 'everybody wants to around those people' because they're so fantastic.
It's all in the quality of the life you allow yourself as to how high or low your self esteem is. That includes everything....lifestyle, relationships.....you name it. A person living in a cardboard box in the alley can have tons of friends and love his life. It's the quality of life you surround yourself with that in many ways comes from your self esteem.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:02 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,698,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesthebass View Post
I don't know about all that. I think that's what Doll Eyes is getting at. That people think it's the key to a perfect life as you're somewhat implying here.

I will admit that it is important, just for your own health if nothing else. It can't be healthy to feel like crap all day, thinking your life is horrible, there's everything wrong with you and nobody likes you. But to say that just having a high self-esteem will help you accomplish anything you want is a reach.
yes it's supposedly the key to whatever, the fountain of youth, I dunno. It's like daily affirmations, okay you say them and they do absolutely nothing and change nothing. So IMO it's more of the same hogwash.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:04 PM

826 posts, read 1,888,479 times
Quote:
Oh okay. I thought they were the same things (SE & SC)....I think CBT encourages some people to be delusional. As you said they go around telling themselves things worked out (even if they really didn't). Is that supposed to be beneficial in some way? Daily Affirmations also never did anything for me.

I don't care what I radiate to be honest, but I sees a lot of people with S.O. and all these people you are saying have HSE? I don't beleive that. I knew a girl that did 'cutting' and she had a bunch of bf's so again, I don't think SE matters if people like you or they don't.
Hey Doll, you missed what I said.
I didn't say people go around telling themselves things worked out. I said "and I think it's much better than mere affirmations"

CBT is absolutely not positive affirmations. I never really got help from repeating positive affirmations. I felt I was lying to myself. That is why I love CBT for building self esteem because you actually examine your thoughts, not gloss over them or recite falsities. But again, these are my opinions. Hope this is clearer

Ofcourse I see people with low self esteem, multiple mental issues, having partners all the time. But those relationships are never healthy. Would you prefer that?

Last edited by Peacelilies; 05-04-2012 at 09:10 PM.. Reason: More clarity

Old 05-04-2012, 09:04 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
Quote:
yes it's supposedly the key to whatever, the fountain of youth, I dunno. It's like daily affirmations, okay you say them and they do absolutely nothing and change nothing. So IMO it's more of the same hogwash.
Nobody said that. You just asked why it's such a big deal. I think people have given some very thoughtful, insightful answers.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:06 PM

6,304 posts, read 8,976,325 times
Quote:

Wow, that's incredibly sad. Fact of the matter is that people DO have the power to change things about their lives, so why not even TRY?

Geez. My daily affirmations are quite powerful. They remind me of where I've been, where I want to be, and what I should be thankful for. I couldn't stand to be with someone who thought of those things as "hogwash".

I guess it's easier to go with the "poor pitiful me" scenario.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:08 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,567,369 times
All I know is, I love me some Doll Eyes.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:09 PM

6,304 posts, read 8,976,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacelilies View Post

Ofcourse I see people with low self esteem, multiple mental issues, having partners all the time. But those relationships are never healthy. Would you prefer that?
Many people (too many) prefer drama in their lives. Even if it's negative...

"But, hey, I have a boyfriend, so I'm validated. "

Old 05-04-2012, 09:11 PM

Having a high self esteem is not letting life and situations get you down in spite of your imperfections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology