Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 06:40 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
people are just defeated these days. they get it from all sides, its hard to blame them. so they retreat into their safe little world and routine and refuse to look up. zombies in the streets, people. zombies.
My friend in Alaska used to say that most people are automotons. Maybe she's got a point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 10:43 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Some have given up their childhood dreams of saving the world or at least leaving it a better place by the time they leave...To use the term "crusade" is inaccurate and unfair...maybe you should have said that not everyone seeks justice?
I don't give a crap if I leave the world a better place, mostly out of a desire for vengeance for having been treated so crappily my entire life. I don't know why I even recycle anymore, there's no point.

Quote:
Some have been beaten down to the point that they give up and surrender...
That's me.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:55 PM

221 posts, read 282,929 times
Quote:
Strictly addressing the bolded part above as an example there are two reasons you may want to put yourself in that driver's seat. You may think you gave her a boat load of room, but from her vantage point it may not seem like enough room. I see it all the time. I'd rather they error on the side of caution and it doesn't make them any less grateful for the gesture. You're rather too quick to judge other people you don't know.

Secondly, should you have decided to change your mind and turn, thus, causing an accident it would have been the other person's fault for passing on the right. Were you aware of this road rule and law. A friend of mine was in a horrible accident because the girl ahead of him had her turn signal on to turn left and was at a stop so he decided to go around her, as many, many people do, and pass her on the right. She did, indeed, change her mind and it caused major damage and injury. Guess who's fault it was - HIS for passiing her on the right.
Thank you for pointing that out. I can't belive the OP is getting in any way upset about someone refusing to squeeze past him on the right to make a right on red.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:23 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,272,868 times
Shoulda, woulda, coulda.

The truth is most people just aren't that intelligent.

They are followers and usually don't have an original thought in their head.

What thoughts they do have are concerned with getting through the day.

They have their own problems, and no one can be bothered with a drama queen.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:47 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,963,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
everyone is not on a crusade.
I agree with this, not everyone needs to be overly sensitive about everything either. Some people are able to roll with the punches and shrug their shoulders, They probably live longer cause they can just let it go and move on.Its not always because they've been beaten down or theyre drugged. My husband couldn't care less about the stupid bs drama around him he keeps to himself at the end of the day he walks into the house takes of his shoes and watches sports. That's it he doesn't feel the need to save everyone or make their problems his. Others take everything personally and need to cry about everything and FEEL every feeling. I know someone who is always on a quest. A spiritual quest, a quest of "life" to find the purpose the meaning and feel the need to be accepted by everyone. It becomes insane after a while trying to find an answer you don't even know the question to.

At some point don't worry about everyone else and worry about yourself. IMO overly sensitive people - cry babies. I personally can't take care of every friend who is in an abusive relationship, who needs money, who's car breaks down every week. Start doing that and I'll be the one needing medication cause I'll be weighed down with the stress of their problems and my constant need to fix them.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:24 PM

221 posts, read 282,929 times
Quote:
I feel like disrespect and inconsiderate behavior is getting worse, no one gives a crap about anyone else. This means public places, ex. obnoxious behavior or unruly children;
That's true, to a large extent.

Quote:
They don't care when they are disrespected.
I only am concerned about disrespect to the extent I respect and care about the person giving the disrespect. I have worked in customer service for 21 years, have been insulted many times by customers. However, I don't give them the time of day because their words mean nothing. Ya know, the whole "sticks and stones" adage? Plus, many of those folks aren't as smart as me, don't have anything in the way of social skills, are crazy, whatever -why should I have my feathers ruffled over their opinions? I agree if someone is allowing themselves to be abused by a spouse or sibling and "take it" that it is sad - however, that is complicated psychology.

Quote:
The other part of this is people making no effort, or taking no responsibility. "Oh I can't change that, so what's the use."
That is situationally annoying. It's one thing if you weigh 400 pounds, tried a lifestyle change for 2 or 3 days, didn't lose weight, went back to eating poorly and not exercising, and saying you can do nothing about the weight. Or if you don't have a job and complain about it, even though you don't look for a job. Yes, you can do something about that. "I can't do anything about gang violence" is an accurate statement; why would you try to make an effort doing something that YOU REALLY CANNOT CHANGE?

Quote:
The worst is when you try to do something nice for someone and they don't take advantage of it!
"Something nice" is in the mind of the intended recipient. For example, it may be nice in your mind to move to the left so the person behind you can squeeze past to turn right on red. But in their mind, it is illegal to pass you that way. It may be nice in your mind to hold the door for someone who is 40 feet away from the door. In their mind, you should go ahead and pass through because there's no way they're rushing so you don't have to stand there a long time. You may think it nice to give Sally Henderson your clothing you outgrew, because you think you used to be her size. You, in fact, were always bigger than her, and she doesn't want the clothes because they won't fit her. You may think it lovely to give your daughter in law all the bulk food you bought too much of at Costco. DIL doesn't want it because she hates the food or she can't eat it because she has celiac disease.

Quote:
Being your friend is too much work.
That is often true. Sorry. You should Google 'different types of friends' and make sure you're not wanting the friend to be of the type they are incapable of being.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:15 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,732,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
I agree with this, not everyone needs to be overly sensitive about everything either. Some people are able to roll with the punches and shrug their shoulders, They probably live longer cause they can just let it go and move on.Its not always because they've been beaten down or theyre drugged. My husband couldn't care less about the stupid bs drama around him he keeps to himself at the end of the day he walks into the house takes of his shoes and watches sports. That's it he doesn't feel the need to save everyone or make their problems his. Others take everything personally and need to cry about everything and FEEL every feeling. I know someone who is always on a quest. A spiritual quest, a quest of "life" to find the purpose the meaning and feel the need to be accepted by everyone. It becomes insane after a while trying to find an answer you don't even know the question to.

At some point don't worry about everyone else and worry about yourself. IMO overly sensitive people - cry babies. I personally can't take care of every friend who is in an abusive relationship, who needs money, who's car breaks down every week. Start doing that and I'll be the one needing medication cause I'll be weighed down with the stress of their problems and my constant need to fix them.

just want to reiterate none of what you said, is what I said nor what I meant....those were your own thoughts.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:48 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,296,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
I personally can't take care of every friend who is in an abusive relationship, who needs money, who's car breaks down every week. Start doing that and I'll be the one needing medication cause I'll be weighed down with the stress of their problems and my constant need to fix them.

Exactly. I adopted a philosophy a couple of years ago that echos the above statement. It is:

If I didn't create the problem, and can't fix the problem, I've got to let it go.

We are currently dealing with what can only be classified as an obstinate fool, enabled by law enforcement. The elderly man across the road insists on mowing our grass along a busy state highway, even though PennDOT laws forbid anyone to do so, even the property owner. That's the department of transportation's job to maintain it. If or when he gets injured while on our property, his insurance company will automatically sue us to recoup medical/burial costs, even though we have told him to stay off our property, and posted no trespassing signs directly on the piece he mows. The police say there's nothing they can do.
These are the types of situations that make one throw up their hands and say 'To Hell with It'.

Old 12-06-2014, 09:51 AM

331 posts, read 381,849 times
Just wanted to recommend this site on How to Understand People. It touches on understanding people who come off as indifferent and callous.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:57 PM

87 posts, read 92,807 times
why?

nothing to understand..now go away.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology