Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 08:23 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,822,889 times

Advertisements

How do people get so brain dead. They don't care when they are disrespected. How is everyone able to let it all go? Nothing infuriates people anymore....are they all drugged? Yes I feel things strongly, I can't stand inconsiderate behavior, nor can I comprehend why people act that way.

The other part of this is people making no effort, or taking no responsibility. "Oh I can't change that, so what's the use." "Being your friend is too much work." People online want friends with "no drama." Life isn't drama?

Has it always been like this? Is the economy partly to blame? I've wondered if people who have lost their jobs or their house no longer care as much about other people, thus making them more obnoxious/rude/disrespectful. When I have been unemployed, my personality doesn't change, I am just depressed.

I feel like I can't talk openly and honestly with any so-called friends anymore, or I'll just be rejected. I don't mean I just want to complain, I mean having a conversation where you just talk about how you feel about things. I feel like part of it is where I live, but I really don't want to believe that.

(I know there is a similar thread below....but I'm not talking about young people.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 11:55 AM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
I think I can see some of your points. Could you give me some actual examples using real life situations that are upsetting you so I can see if I am on the right track?

Old 05-13-2012, 04:09 PM

I feel like disrespect and inconsiderate behavior is getting worse, no one gives a crap about anyone else. This means public places, ex. obnoxious behavior or unruly children; on the roads...people don't have a clue how to drive; or at home, neighbors let their dogs run around loose and cause problems, or they make noise past 10:00. People have no morals anymore, and all the people where I live are Christian.

The worst is when you try to do something nice for someone and they don't take advantage of it! If I'm at a red light and going straight, I position myself close to the center line so if someone behind me wants to make a right, they can. This morning for the first time the car behind me wanted to make a right (blinker on) and I gave her a boatload of room and she didn't go. That kind of "brain dead" blows my mind, it's incomprehensible.

I run a few meetup groups and new people join all the time but hardly anyone signs up for events. I ask what they want to do, I email some of them, and I hardly get any replies. No one gives a crap. So why do they join? People say they want to meet people and make friends, but they don't attend anything. I just don't get it. These are people with no family here.

Old 05-13-2012, 05:03 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
I pick my battles wisely. I have a fairly well adjusted self esteem and if someone does not like me I understand and don't want them in my life. If someone says something disrespectful I find it best to walk away.

Usually the best revenge is to know and live a happy life, to be successful and treat everyone I meet with respect.

The very best advice someone ever gave me was to let it go and walk away. Be a bigger and better person then the ones who insult or disrespect.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:13 PM

That is good advice, but some people can't let things go. It builds and builds, and then you explode, usually in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:45 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,001,614 times
Some people are one or more of these: self-absorbed, hateful, disrespectful, trifling, crazy, immature, negative, fake, thieves, stupid. I don't know why. Maybe they're depressed. Maybe their life isn't how they want it, and they've given up. Maybe they hate themselves (and therefore hate others). Who knows. I just don't want to be around most people. They get on my nerves, and I long for the day to move away from them.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:53 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
How do people get so brain dead. They don't care when they are disrespected. How is everyone able to let it all go? Nothing infuriates people anymore....are they all drugged? Yes I feel things strongly, I can't stand inconsiderate behavior, nor can I comprehend why people act that way.

The other part of this is people making no effort, or taking no responsibility. "Oh I can't change that, so what's the use." "Being your friend is too much work." People online want friends with "no drama." Life isn't drama?

Has it always been like this? Is the economy partly to blame? I've wondered if people who have lost their jobs or their house no longer care as much about other people, thus making them more obnoxious/rude/disrespectful. When I have been unemployed, my personality doesn't change, I am just depressed.

I feel like I can't talk openly and honestly with any so-called friends anymore, or I'll just be rejected. I don't mean I just want to complain, I mean having a conversation where you just talk about how you feel about things. I feel like part of it is where I live, but I really don't want to believe that.

(I know there is a similar thread below....but I'm not talking about young people.)

They don't give a crap bc they simply don't have to and don't care much about what you or anyone else think.

Don't expect everyone to carry the weight of the world on their shoulders.

People who take hardships in their stride manage to land on their feet without all the mental anguish.

We really can be our own worst enemys. I'd like to have some of time back I wasted needlessly worrying about ppl and things I have no control over.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:10 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
You're upset that people don't get infuriated anymore? I wish they'd get infuriated less, or at least direct their anger towards the injustices in the world: like the way our planet is being ravaged, human rights injustices etc. People aren't really any different than before: the big difference I see is that they're more detached from each other, more slaves to their jobs, value things of no real lasting value, a false sense of self-importance...I really do think anger is an expression of pain in the soul - not excusing them, but I do think there's something wrong with the world as a whole.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:54 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,528,885 times
In my opinion, there is definitely a lack of civility today compared to when I was young. That said, even back then there were plenty of rude people with poor manners. I still get annoyed with bad drivers, extremly loud people, folks who litter, etc., the list goes on BUT, the bottom line is we have NO control over other people. If you allow everyone to annoy you, you will be angry all the time. As far as genuine friendships go, in my experience, if you have one or two good friends you can discuss feelings with, you are fortunate. Most folks today want their social needs satisfied by facebook, or other social media sites and have lost the ability to form new friendships, LISTEN to one another, etc. That is just the world we live in.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:27 AM

4,056 posts, read 2,135,556 times
NJDevil, I understand! By the way, are you originally from Joisey and are now living in Tennessee? If so, I feel your culture shock (originally from NJ and now in Atlanta).

On another forum, someone started a thread about the lack of civility. People just don't care about much more than the double E's (electronics and entertainment, most often combined into one). I can't tell you how often I have a "friend" who prefers to watch yet another lame TV show than to get together---or when we are together, prefers to play on their electronics. I try to remind myself that it's not personal---that it's their problem, but it definitely doesn't feel good.

What strikes me as ironic is that all articles and books on mental and physical health stress that people need lots of friends and a great social network----but from what I find, the pickings are pretty slim and it's difficult to find people who can really honor a friendship. It leads to more frustration and stress than a sense of well-being from having these people in your life!

Also---I organize some Meetups and know how frustrating it is to have people join and then never participate. Or when they do, lots of complaints! have you checked out the organizers' forum on MU? Good place to vent....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology