Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 01:18 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,119,687 times

Advertisements

Most bullies specifically look for targets that are non-confrontational, therefore ignoring what's going on is not a good idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 08:38 PM

640 posts, read 717,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
How common is this, does anyone know? I've heard it's really common, but I've never run into it.

Ruth, I have far more corporate experience than I would prefer and I've found that world to be invariably filled with fixers, dealers and manipulators none of whom are above bullying tactics. Fortunately, bullies rarely escape their own habitual behaviors without a few skeletons in their closets. Unearth 'em and fight fire with fire, I say.

There's been some good comments on "friends and family" that are bullies. I can't stress enough the value of removing toxic relationships from one's life.

As for characters that want to escalate things to the level of physical violence, just buy some nail polish remover and petroleum jelly and find a rancher with a coyote problem.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:09 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,654,429 times
For workplace bullies, the managers are accountable for their toxic environments. They need to keep abreast of the dynamics of their places. But, a lot of them are the actual cause of the toxicity. Maybe just a re-enactment of their own childhood dynamics. Really pitiful when that happens. They can teach you anything in school, get your MA, your PhD, but can't teach people how to get along and be respectful to each other.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:23 PM

926 posts, read 1,256,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Nancy View Post
For workplace bullies, the managers are accountable for their toxic environments. They need to keep abreast of the dynamics of their places. But, a lot of them are the actual cause of the toxicity. Maybe just a re-enactment of their own childhood dynamics. Really pitiful when that happens. They can teach you anything in school, get your MA, your PhD, but can't teach people how to get along and be respectful to each other.

This!

Wow, you described my toxic work experience to a 'T'. My manager was the Queen of Manipulation who was solely responsible for a putrid, mean-spirited, toxic environment that affected many that crossed her path. A career killing, life changing experience.

We often wondered if and why senior management was scared of her.

At 72yrs of age she is still in the Agency and still doing her dirt. One can only hope/pray that at some point a higher being steps in and she FINALLY pays the consequences of her destructive behavior.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:56 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,348,400 times
Arrow Adult Bullies

Plenty of them on the internet.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:17 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,346,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asma410 View Post
Hello!
Does anyone have to deal with adult bullies on a regular basis - family/workplace/friends? How did you stop them? I have tried to read some articles online but they give very 'generic' advice like tell your manager/hr or be assertive. I have tried & it hasn't worked.

I wanted to read some real-life experiences & how you dealt with them? There is not much that people can do to help you stand up to a bully, even at workplace where they get away with - "I was just joking or you are too sensitive" excuses. I should have learnt to deal with bullies in school but I let it slide thinking people grow up but apparently some of them never do.

Also, is there any good book about it that I can read to address these problems?

PLEASE SHARE your experiences.
I deal with them everyday. They are everywhere. This comes with being an easy target. Some of the easier targets for adult bullies are people working retail. Especially the lower ladder cashiers. But the easiest target and group that has to deal with the most bullies, The Homeless. (I've been one of them, and let me tell you, it's open season).

The thing about adult bullies is that they know what they can get away with. They pick on someone whom they know has the least advantage. In the case of the homeless, you can do anything to them and face no repercussions. If you are homeless, you are automatically public enemy number 1.

Dealing with adult bullies is a little different than dealing with school bullies. They attack you in different ways. The best thing to do is to know your rights. When you demonstrate knowledge of your personal rights, they tend to run away like you have a gun. Knowledge is power.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:36 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,312,074 times
No way another grown person should not let another grown person bully, talk down, whatever....I mean you control your own destiny with people.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:22 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,207,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txstate View Post
No way another grown person should not let another grown person bully, talk down, whatever....I mean you control your own destiny with people.
And what exactly are we supposed to do hit them back? Besides why don't you address the bullies instead of the bullied? They are the one causing the problems.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:50 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,289,193 times
Quote:
what kind of cliched perfect world crap is this , " we control our own destiny with people "

did the victims of the gun totting joker have control over their own destiny in that movie theatre ? ,while i know that is a different circumstance , your statement was general and broad brush

Old 08-13-2012, 01:00 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,346,533 times
Quote:
I mean you control your own destiny with people.
To an extent...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology