Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2015, 02:56 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times

Advertisements

All of my working life I have marveled at the type of women who dominate my workplace (and yes, I'm a woman) who can't go on break alone, go to lunch alone, run to the ATM alone, sit in an office alone -- if they must, they're on the phone with a coworker -- take a walk alone, leave for the day alone, or go to the bathroom alone. Really? I'm pretty independent and don't need a companion for any of the above. Is this a regional thing or the type of workplace this is or am I the abnormal one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 05:25 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,174,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
All of my working life I have marveled at the type of women who dominate my workplace (and yes, I'm a woman) who can't go on break alone, go to lunch alone, run to the ATM alone, sit in an office alone -- if they must, they're on the phone with a coworker -- take a walk alone, leave for the day alone, or go to the bathroom alone. Really? I'm pretty independent and don't need a companion for any of the above. Is this a regional thing or the type of workplace this is or am I the abnormal one?
As a guy, I've never understood the thought processes behind women going to the bathroom in groups. WTF? I understand female solidarity is a lot stronger with women (than it is with men), but don't get why women would need a "buddy" to go to the bathroom with, unless you're just putting on make-up, etc.

That being said, I barely seen this anymore - other than when I used to go to night clubs many years ago.

Last edited by The Big Lebowski Dude; 04-16-2015 at 05:41 PM..

Old 04-16-2015, 05:36 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,807,522 times
I've never been that kind of girl either. I'm more of a loner in general. I haven't worked in 6 years and the last job I had was with all men, some of whom did some of the things your describing, like taking their breaks together, so I don't really have anything to compare it to.

Old 04-17-2015, 08:18 AM

88,513 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
As a guy, I've never understood the thought processes behind women going to the bathroom in groups. WTF? I understand female solidarity is a lot stronger with women (than it is with men), but don't get why women would need a "buddy" to go to the bathroom with, unless you're just putting on make-up, etc.

That being said, I barely seen this anymore - other than when I used to go to night clubs many years ago.
It's a no-brainer. To talk in private.

Old 04-17-2015, 08:22 AM

88,513 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
No, some women where I work seem unable to go to lunch alone. I often go alone, partly because I don't always have things in common with many of the women and so have nothing to talk about, but also because I enjoy walking when the weather is good and other times reading while I eat.

I will sometimes walk as far as I can go for 15 minutes, then turn around and walk back and then use the other 30 to eat. If I mentioned this to most people, they get a glazed look in their eyes when I tell them I saw a store or restaurant that looked interesting on such-and-such a street, and they say, "you walked that FAR?" It's not far.

I did recently find a woman coworker who wants to walk, so I have company sometimes.

Old 04-17-2015, 11:42 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,951,234 times
Everybody is different.

You seem to be a loner like me. I go to lunch alone. I don't want to hang out with the people I work with and see all day. I don't want to get sucked into too much personal conversation. I need alone time to recover and charge my batteries. I either go home and walk my dog or sit alone in my car or just get out of the gate and sit somewhere and recharge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology