Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 05:07 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,267,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
What is marijuana's effect on you?
I have a theory to go along with what its effect on me is. I'll start by saying that I didn't try it until I was 19, almost 20. Prior to that, I had no interest in drugs, although I did have friends who smoked marijuana. What changed my direction in that regard was going on Paxil, an anti-depressant medication specifically for social anxiety. Paxil was my gateway drug. If anybody remember's the anti-depressant TV commercial with the little bouncy people bouncing together in a circle, with one outside that circle by itself and then after it starts taking the medication it joins the circle. Well, that's exactly what happened to me. After I began taking Paxil, I found myself joining in activities I didn't before, and that including trying marijuana. It was all good for a while, a typical phase, and then I found alcohol. I liked alcohol better. I then began hanging with different friends and drinking. I abused alcohol for a long time, and pretty bad. Anyway, so eventually I noticed that when I would smoke marjuana, it was making me paranoid and very nervous.
So here's my theory. I think that because I went hard with a drug (alcohol) that numbed me and sort of detached me from myself and abused it so frequently for so long that it sort of had a therapeutic effect on me, leaving me a bit numb (depressed) and detached or less in touch with myself than I was before I had ever began drinking. I think marijuana originally and always has had the same effect on me and that is that it plants my feet firmly on the ground and puts me very much in touch with myself and enhances my senses. So I think because of the long-term effect alcohol abuse has had on me, when I smoke marijuana it does what it always did and because I've been "detached" from myself so long, I get overwhelmed which is why I get paranoid and so nervous. It's like "whoa, I'm here!". If I'm right, then smoking marijuana and working through that would therapeutically bring me back to a better place, which is to say more in touch with myself.
Does this make sense? Can anybody relate?
Makes no sense at all and I do think perhpas you should talk to a professional then take some time for yourself in rehab because you are making excuses for recreational usage of marijuana. Where do I come from with this?? I am a child of the 60's and was married the first time to a guy who smoked pot every day of his life from early in the morning until late at night and sometimes thru to the next day. He would buy pot instead of food for our house and buy other drugs for recreational use as opposed to paying the mortgage. Along with the pot smoking came the beer drinking and then that got out of control. I never, not ever saw him without a beer in his had for the the 10 years I was married to him. What do I think pot does to a person? Well, it made him so relaxed the guy never wanted to work nor had he ever to this day held a job. He is so paranoid now at 65 from all his continued pot smoking and drinking that he and his wife have decided to live 60 plus miles back in the woods of Northern Maine where I think he GROWS the stuff now. He never comes out of the woods, never has any contact with his beautiful son we had together over 40 years ago and barely sees his aging Mom or the rest of his family.

This guy put me thru HELL and back with his escalating drug usage and had every excuse under the son for continuing to use it no matter what I thought, no matter how hungry his child got from never having food in the house. His finally BIG BLAST was that he cheated on me with a married woman who thought his bad boy status was appealing and she dumped her kids and her husband to take off with him..a true Jerry Springer moment. He still smokes the dope, still drinks over a case of beer every other day and never sees or calls his son..all drug induced?? Yes, I believe so. At least when he is blasted on the drugs and booze he doesn't have to think about stuff.

Do yourself a favor...go talk to someone and find out how to get clean. Get back the beautiful mind and soul that God gave you so many years ago. Do the right thing and the right thing will bring you a great new life. Good luck with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 05:54 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,537,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by busterkeaton View Post
THC is not a chemical? You need to research a bit before you comment on marijuana not being a chemical. There are over 400 different chemicals found in marijuana, but only 61 of them are unique to cannabis. They are called cannabinoids. Also, there are 50 to 70% more carcinogenic hydrocarbons found in marijuana smoke than tobacco smoke....and since, it is held in longer, the chances for lung cancer are ever prevalent. You're definitely not "more under the influence" drinking a single beer, then you are smoking a joint(unless what you were smoking wasn't weed). I'm not dogging your drug of choice...but it's a drug nonetheless.
Vaporizer!

I haven't read back, but I think today's higher content of THC would make a huge difference in how it affects people.

I laugh when I hear people say they couldn't handle it. That happens! But thank god, it never happened to me. Personally, I have always preferred pot and beer together. Can't have one without the other.

I think ingesting it in food or hashish form can cause much more severe affect than just toking. Just my opinion.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:57 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,537,546 times
Not everyone uses like your "ex". You might be very shocked to hear this, but some people, who are also children of the 60s can use it one night a week AND hold down a good job for years. Trust me on that.

The analogy is AA. Not everyone falls into severe abuse category.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyd View Post
Makes no sense at all and I do think perhpas you should talk to a professional then take some time for yourself in rehab because you are making excuses for recreational usage of marijuana. Where do I come from with this?? I am a child of the 60's and was married the first time to a guy who smoked pot every day of his life from early in the morning until late at night and sometimes thru to the next day. He would buy pot instead of food for our house and buy other drugs for recreational use as opposed to paying the mortgage. Along with the pot smoking came the beer drinking and then that got out of control. I never, not ever saw him without a beer in his had for the the 10 years I was married to him. What do I think pot does to a person? Well, it made him so relaxed the guy never wanted to work nor had he ever to this day held a job. He is so paranoid now at 65 from all his continued pot smoking and drinking that he and his wife have decided to live 60 plus miles back in the woods of Northern Maine where I think he GROWS the stuff now. He never comes out of the woods, never has any contact with his beautiful son we had together over 40 years ago and barely sees his aging Mom or the rest of his family.

This guy put me thru HELL and back with his escalating drug usage and had every excuse under the son for continuing to use it no matter what I thought, no matter how hungry his child got from never having food in the house. His finally BIG BLAST was that he cheated on me with a married woman who thought his bad boy status was appealing and she dumped her kids and her husband to take off with him..a true Jerry Springer moment. He still smokes the dope, still drinks over a case of beer every other day and never sees or calls his son..all drug induced?? Yes, I believe so. At least when he is blasted on the drugs and booze he doesn't have to think about stuff.

Do yourself a favor...go talk to someone and find out how to get clean. Get back the beautiful mind and soul that God gave you so many years ago. Do the right thing and the right thing will bring you a great new life. Good luck with this.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:06 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
When I first tried it as a teenager nothing happened. The guy had a one hitter, so maybe that was why, because I really didn't get much out of it.

The 2nd time I tried it as a teenager we had a joint. That hit me. I just remember my head feeling like a helium balloon and laughing my a** off, then going to Burger King and polishing off 3 double cheesburgers, a fry and about 3 cokes (was trying to get rid of that damn cotton mouth)

Then I did it a few more times between high school and college, and the experiences were a bit unpleasant. I am high strung as it is, so I didn't like the effect of being brought down that fast and it would freak me out! One time I could feel as though my heart was jumping out of it's chest, and my friend told me to lay on the couch stretch out, and then proceeded to put on Pink Floyd. It helped for sure. So after awhile I stayed away from it for several years. As it seemed like every time I smoked it, I would get that paranoid buzz.

Now being almost 40, and still a bit high strung, and wound a bit tight (which isn't good when you get older) I like the calming effects. I like the fact that it opens your mind, and makes you think about s*** like solving the worlds problems. I don't usually get giggly, but just brought down a notch or 2. I rarely get that paranoid buzz, and the only time it seems to happen is when we're drinking with the neighbors. But now I know how to deal with it, and it goes away in a short time. Again, it's rare. And in hindsight, I think that the reason it happened so much when I was younger was I more than likely smoked too much at once. I pace myself for sure. It definitely has a different effect when done by itself, as opposed to when mixing it with a few beers. When I do partake it's never during work hours or when I really have important things to do. I feel the same way about smoking weed, as with alcohol, and that is, never mix business with pleasure. With all that said, I don't like hard liquor, as it makes me sick to my stomach. I've never done harder substances such as coke, meth, heroin, or any other hallucinogenic drugs (nor do I have the urge to). I would NEVER want to take an anti-depressant, as I know people who do, and I've seen what happens if they go a day or 2 without taking their meds. The withdrawl symptoms from what has been described are scary, and would probably throw me into an anxiety attack. And I certainly would not want to take opiate based pain pills prescribed for pain due to the risks involved.

In short, marijuana is much safer than the other crap out there. You cannot overdose, and you cannot get physically addicted. Not to mention they are finding out about a lot of the medical benefits, with fewer side effects than the man made stuff. It certainly isn't for everybody, and effects everybody differently. Heck, it effects me differently now, than when I was younger. But there certainly are benefits for it's use. The benefits for industrial, and medical use far outweigh it's continued prohibition which was based on nothing but lies, propaganda, special interests and racism.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:53 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
It makes you, uh, smarter...
And like, really creative man, you know what I mean?

Old 05-24-2012, 08:04 AM

865 posts, read 1,489,165 times
I really think they should come out with rehab for pot, it is a shame some people can't be themselves, think straight, or be creative without it. A very sad life...

Old 05-24-2012, 09:14 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by busterkeaton View Post
THC is not a chemical? You need to research a bit before you comment on marijuana not being a chemical. There are over 400 different chemicals found in marijuana, but only 61 of them are unique to cannabis. They are called cannabinoids. Also, there are 50 to 70% more carcinogenic hydrocarbons found in marijuana smoke than tobacco smoke....and since, it is held in longer, the chances for lung cancer are ever prevalent. You're definitely not "more under the influence" drinking a single beer, then you are smoking a joint(unless what you were smoking wasn't weed). I'm not dogging your drug of choice...but it's a drug nonetheless.
You're right.,..I meant not a man-made chemical....Of the 421 chemicals in marijuana, the 61 that are unique to marijuana are cannabinoids.....the other 360 chemicals are the same as found throughout other natural substances....I'd also like to add that numerous scientific studies support the conclusion that cocaine, heroin, alcohol, and even cigarettes are more dangerous to the users health than marijuanal....36 states permit it's use as a therapeutic drug for those suffering from aids, various other painful, incurable, and debilitating illnesses.....and the harmful side effects of cancer chemotherapy and especially glaucoma.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:25 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Its been about 20 years but the great highs i used to experience back in the 60's and 70's ultimately progressed into giving me heart palpitations and a general feeling of paranoia so i gave up the practice,i suspected the THC levels in the product had risen too high from the product i was used to back in the early days.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:46 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
I really think they should come out with rehab for pot, it is a shame some people can't be themselves, think straight, or be creative without it. A very sad life...
Pots not near as bad as prescription drugs.....prescription drug abuse is the fastest growing drug problem in the United States.......Nation & World | Prescription-drug use an issue for employers | Seattle Times Newspaper

Old 05-24-2012, 10:22 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,239,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyd View Post

IMO You married a loser from the get go. Most likely smoking pot kept him from beating you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology