Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 09:46 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,973,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
When I step outside the door, I have to run a gauntlet of pan-handlers. I get proposition by prostitutes, and hit up by drug-dealers who assume that because I am "White" I must be looking for drugs if I'm in their neighborhood. There's a tremendous loss of money through property damage, and it wastes my tax dollars.

That's how it affects me.

I can't wait for it to be legalized so I can deal with even more pan-handlers, and more prostitutes and more drug-dealers and waste even more of my tax dollars and see even more property damage.

Affected....

Mircea
I'm not sure all the things you mentioned are related to marijuana. Panhandlers who do so to feed an addiction are generally addicted to crack or alcohol, not marijuana. As for people trying to sell drugs and saying things like "you lookin for some trees?" or whatever other line they use - that's just salesman trying to make money. Marijuana sales and use is very widespread, especially in the 'hood and in urban or working-class neighborhoods. In those places it's almost as if it were legal it's so open. I wouldn't think too much about your race being a factor, because you can be sure they're doing the same thing to every race, including whatever they are. As for prostitution and property damage - dude, it sounds like you just live in a bad neighborhood. I'm not saying marijuana is good or bad or should be legal or not, but don't blame the fact you live in a bad area on marijuana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
Why did you need the Paxil? I know you felt better in social situations after using it but what made you feel awkward to begin with?
The answer to that is the real problem. You have to deal with that first and you won't need to worry about the rest.
You could start by telling yourself you are just going to ENJOY the ones who make you feel awkward, don't judge, don't be jealous, don't let yourself think critical thoughts. Just enjoy them like they are a gift.
I think this is aimed to me since I mentioned Paxil.

You're right, Paxil helped a great deal at relieving anxiety. Actually, it took away normal anxiety that is intended to keep us in check and made me really brazen and stupid, which is why I tried drugs in the first place and did a whole host of other things I had known better not to do before. I think it's smart of you to point out that there must be a root to the anxiety problem. But at the same time it's very difficult to find the root and correct it. That's why medication is available. Obviously, anxiety is chemically-based in the brain. Obviously that chemical imbalance or false tripping of the fear response is not right. But it's hard to tell even for scientists and medical profressionals if it's partly a physical problem or if it's really driven by something in your life, current or past. I agree cognitive therapy style fixing is ideal, but it's not always realistic or effective. The only way it's ever easy to figure out the cause of somebody's anxiety is if it comes on all the sudden, at a certain point, and you figure out what changed in their life during that time that brought it on. Then of course that issue can be dealt with to resolve the anxiety all together. But medication itself can be therapeutic and leave you better off than you were before, even after you taper off of it. As for my anxiety problem, I'm pretty confident it's actually a side effect of a different problem, and that is ADD. I knew I was experiencing anxiety, so I had gone to the doctor for that. My anxiety was relieved, and a bit too much like I had said, but I still wasn't quite right. While I was almost fearless on Paxil, I still had problems with motivation, focus, and diving into tasks that take time - all of which are more indicative of ADD. So I think what I did was got myself treated for a mere symptom of my actual problem, rather than the problem itself. There have been a whole host of experiences I've had and reflection that have helped me figure this out. When you live with ADD all your life, you don't know what normal is like so you don't realize you have it. But once you start growing up into an adult and hyper-activity and doing a lot of stimulative activity becomes less acceptable, the ADD turns inward and that excess energy goes to your brain rather than physical hyperactivity, fidgeting, etc. And when you have thoughts coming at you 90 MPH and a difficult time processing and working out those thoughts - that causes anxiety.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:16 PM

744 posts, read 811,437 times
I hate pot. I am usually a pretty social dude but I tried it and felt very uncomfortable, I did not enjoy how it made me feel in any way and couldn't wait for it to end.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:24 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,088,289 times
It made me paranoid and lazier than I normally am...which is why I quit smoking that crap a couple of years ago.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:19 PM

19,695 posts, read 20,218,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post

Paxil helped a great deal at relieving anxiety.

If you're dealing with anxiety, it's best to stay on prescribed medication.

Marijuana will not help you control anxiety in situations that call for being alert, like school or work, grocery shopping, family time, etc etc...And it can actually make it worse.

Weed is best used in the privacy of your own home or w/ friends in comfortable surroundings, and usually at night (or if you just have time to chill out.) I overthink things to death and often have trouble sleeping, and smoking out really eases my mind when I'm overstressed. I don't take pills so I gotta roll natural. When I have weed, I reward myself at the end of a long day.

Marijuana is both a depressant and a stimulant, so it really depends on where you are & what you're doing when you smoke. Sometimes if I smoke early, say like 5pm, I get an energy burst and next thing I know I've just cleaned the entire house. Eazy peazy

Old 05-25-2012, 01:10 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,177,754 times
Default What is marijuana's effect on you?

ZERO effect.

I don't use nor do I care to ever smoke blunts.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
If you're dealing with anxiety, it's best to stay on prescribed medication.

Marijuana will not help you control anxiety in situations that call for being alert, like school or work, grocery shopping, family time, etc etc...And it can actually make it worse.

Weed is best used in the privacy of your own home or w/ friends in comfortable surroundings, and usually at night (or if you just have time to chill out.) I overthink things to death and often have trouble sleeping, and smoking out really eases my mind when I'm overstressed. I don't take pills so I gotta roll natural. When I have weed, I reward myself at the end of a long day.

Marijuana is both a depressant and a stimulant, so it really depends on where you are & what you're doing when you smoke. Sometimes if I smoke early, say like 5pm, I get an energy burst and next thing I know I've just cleaned the entire house. Eazy peazy
I haven't taken any medication or used drugs in a very long time. My Paxil-taking and marijuana phase was in 2006. I've been thinking about Wellbutrin though.

I agree marijuana shouldn't be used as medication. It certainly won't help you in school or work, unless you want to work fast food. You can't be high all the time and shouldn't be. Staying in an altered perception all the time is probably pretty dangerous, if you want to get serious about it, including marijuana's subtle half-life effects. The last time I smoked, which was an isolated incident, I still felt the effects the next day. If a person smokes everyday, then that means they would constantly be under the drug's effect to some extent. Of course, an addict probably wouldn't recognize that fact.

I also agree (if you smoke at all) it should be a social occasion and only once in a while.

It's interesting that it gives you a stimulative effect.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:03 AM

1,909 posts, read 3,781,065 times
Nothing really, I've been smoking so long I can not tell when I am high, only sober.

When I am sober I don't eat as much, have trouble sleeping, get depressed, I am easily bothered and annoyed. When I smoke I feel normal.

The first 10-20 times I got the giggles or tripped out, but after that just a mild buzz feeling.

When I go without smoking for long periods (3 days or longer) and then smoke, I get panic attacks.

If I want to trip out I just eat some shrooms.

Just reading this makes me need to smoke as it actually is about that time. Ahhhhh I feel decent.

Last edited by LakeShoreSoxGo; 05-25-2012 at 02:24 AM.. Reason: Now I need to smoke

Old 05-25-2012, 05:32 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,669,000 times
Everyone's different and one man's poison can be another's panacea. I look back with fondness on a few occasions when after indulging in a nice big Class A doobie I sat with my head on the back of my couch totally incapable of motion for some time. This phase was followed by what seemed like hours standing in front of an open refrigerator door debating the respective merits of ice cream, pickles, assorted leftovers, fruits, salads, peanut butter, cheeses, cold cuts, cakes, cookies and much more either individually or in combination. Sometimes the inability to follow through with any decision ended up with eating nothing although I believe on several occasions I downed a half gallon of ice cream all by myself.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:16 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,673,014 times
It makes me play video games like a master
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology