Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 04:26 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I think everyone cares what at least some people in their lives think, and I think that is normal and natural. You should care about what the people you care about think. Their opinions should be important to you. If you have loving parents, you should care what they think. If you love your children, you should care what they think. Etc.

Obviously caring what everyone thinks, and trying to seek outward approval from people who have little to no relevance in your life, is a sign of low self-esteem.
The ending of your post or the meaning of it is true. But only because you used the word "everyone". But as far as only caring about the opinions of those you care about, it depends on what your goals are. If you're just trying to get along and get by, caring about your friends' and family members' opinions is enough. If you're also wanting to better yourself in any way, listening to an outsider give you their opinion and generally caring about what they have to say may be quite helpful. Your family and friends are biased in their thinking, and it's hit-or-miss whether they're any more wise or knowledgable than an acquaintance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 04:37 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,266,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I really dont understand this...
I COULD GIVE A RATS TAIL ABOUT WHAT OTHER PPL THINK,i am my own person,i have MY OWN MIND and i do what I feel is right for me! (If someone doesnt like it they can kiss off)
Anyone feel like me??
Most people do care what others think of them as in some cases it can effect what you do end up doing with your life and can be a direct reflection on who you are as a person especially if people don't know you. The whole key here is to not associate with people who will drag you down no matter who you are or what you do. Make sure you associate with good people and learn how to weed out the bad seeds.
I am 64 years old and have 4 sisters. Talk about getting pre judged!! I have been married 3 times..first one an idiot, second one died and the one I am married to now is 10 years younger....TALK ABOUT fuel for the sister gossip fire! I got pretty heavy for a time, then had to have open heart surgery..AHHHHHAAAAA more fuel for their fires. It finally has taken me at least 10 years to not give a rat's butt about what they think and weed them out of my life. I took a lot of bruising over the years because I did and DO care what people think. Do I see my sisters..NOPE. I talk to them but don't go out of my way to stand in front of their "speeding trains" and get hit by their remarks.
There are always going to be people in our lives unless we choose to live in the Northern Maine woods and never come out. People are always going to judge how we look, what we do, who we are with, where we work, our homes, our kids and more...just how they are. I guess the whole secret is to choose our friends carefully while at the same time being aware that it will come with a price..it will either be an expensive one that we don't need or perhaps cost only a few pennies cuz we are human first!

Old 05-21-2012, 07:56 PM

496 posts, read 483,657 times
Great coments...Poking your snauze outside the door is risky buisness these days. If somebody thinks it's congested, it is possible that vice grips are used instead of a gentle hanky for honking purpose's. This brings me to another interesting self brainwashing requirement...

IF YOU THINK MY SNAUZE IS CONGESTED-TELL ME WHY CLEARLY WITHOUT RUNNING AWAY- OR HONK YOUR OWN SNAUZE

Old 05-21-2012, 08:10 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,789,944 times
Quote:

I COULD GIVE A RATS TAIL ABOUT WHAT OTHER PPL THINK,i am my own person,i have MY OWN MIND and i do what I feel is right for me! (If someone doesnt like it they can kiss off)

Anyone feel like me??
Yes!
Because: how the heck does ANYONE know what someone else is *thinking???* (Can they read minds?)

I DON'T CARE.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:38 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Post agree

Quote:

Anyone feel like me??
Some people seem to need validation- even from distant friends/acquaintances.

I got an email from someone I havent seen in 4 years, about how this person enacted some anti- abuse legislation for animals. (I didnt even open the link,lol)

Some of these people are insecure imo. Especially if its someone you havent even socialized with for years. It does explain why some are addicted to FB though. FB is a narcissistic outlet where people talk about themselves endlessly, but never listen.

A sad reflection of our narcissistic society today.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:34 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,287,094 times
I just so happen to know what other people think...

They are wondering what you are thinking about them!

Old 09-27-2012, 07:39 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,839,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
let me ask you something , do you think other people should care what you think , what your opinions are ?
Depends on how important that person is to me & whether their opinion about me could affect my personal life or career. If my boss gives some constructive criticism about my performance, I cannot ignore that. I need to think about it in a positive way & make some changes. If their point is valid then I cant act stubborn or get defensive. But if they are being unreasonable & the opinion is based on jealousy or envy then I would ignore it.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:57 PM

26 posts, read 47,208 times
Quote:
I COULD GIVE A RATS TAIL ABOUT WHAT OTHER PPL THINK . . .

Anyone feel like me??
Hmm.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:17 PM

777 posts, read 1,336,769 times
Because people like to feel needed, wanted, and desired. To care, means, they will continuously act certain ways to continue to, or attempt to, gain approval of others. For an ego boost. For some self-esteem. For whatever.

Certainly, it doesn't apply to everyone. Being that I'm anti-social, I overall, just keep my mouth shut (in person, not online), and don't have to deal with what people think about me. But then, by my being silent, I know they're already thinking a certain something anyway. Do I care? Not really. Certainly hasn't caused me to start talking more.

Yet, on some level, I do care, but to a small fraction of humanity, as I attempt to find people (online) who share my beliefs in life and can make me feel like I'm not totally alone. To a common person, they would just pick up a hobby or change a belief in order to fit in somewhere so they don't feel alone (say, become religious and go to church). To others, we just don't. Not desperate enough and want the opinions of people that are more different than the majority.

All in all, I suppose I'm saying, on some level, we all care. It's human. But we care in different ways and we go different measures to achieve the opinions of others.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:20 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
The only reason to be concerned about what another person thinks is when it could affect your livelihood or well-being. And that's it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology