Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 12:22 AM

10,228 posts, read 16,351,364 times

Advertisements

I'm a planner. I'm not very spur-of-the-moment, although I'm a little better at it now than I used to be. Still don't like getting hit with last-minute invitations or decisions. I'm one of those who gets very angry when I'm hit with visitors that give little to no notice, and get very frustrated when something happens to interrupt what I had planned to do for the day.

I keep everything written down in my wallet planner, because much less will get done if I don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 07:10 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,817,348 times
Obligations in general make me anxious. I prefer to schedule my time as fluidly as possible.

Old 05-31-2016, 03:46 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,345,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Does anyone have a difficult time staying "calm" if they have some event "planned" later in the day? It could be a party or a doctor's appointment.. just anything where you need to be at a certain place at an exact or approximate time. You may or may not dread the event itself (party vs. doctor visit) but the notion that your "freedom" is limited until you go to the event and get it over causes unnecessary anxiety.
This is me totally! Especially since I retired. I handle scheduled events fine if they are in my routine. But unscheduled events make me crazy. I actually feel dread and anxiety many times. Doctor's appointments absolutely fill me with dread.

Old 06-01-2016, 01:43 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,263,250 times
yes to the OP. when i look at my week ahead on a sunday night and i see absolutely nothing planned for after work i feel like a ton of bricks has been lifted off my shoulders. no clue why b/c most things that i would have planned wouldn't even be stressful.

ive always thought i was a huge weirdo for this but guess i'm not alone.

Old 06-01-2016, 02:17 PM

163 posts, read 139,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Does anyone have a difficult time staying "calm" if they have some event "planned" later in the day? It could be a party or a doctor's appointment.. just anything where you need to be at a certain place at an exact or approximate time. You may or may not dread the event itself (party vs. doctor visit) but the notion that your "freedom" is limited until you go to the event and get it over causes unnecessary anxiety.
Wow, this is me exactly.

Old 02-18-2023, 10:13 AM

157 posts, read 125,373 times
I know this thread was years ago, but the main reason why I hate appointments is due to the "appointment trap". I haven't heard anyone else mention this. For example, at the psychiatrist office, where after you're done with the visit, the psychiatrist would write an appointment on a card than give it to you than you would go to the front and make the appointment, therefore this guarantee's you keep coming back thus bringing in profits.

This can be the same with dentist and other medical appointments. It's really annoying sometimes, and quite frankly very unconfortable when I have to tell NO and to kick rocks.

Am I the only one who feels this way?

Old 02-18-2023, 03:19 PM

23,614 posts, read 19,396,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoX2 View Post
I know this thread was years ago, but the main reason why I hate appointments is due to the "appointment trap". I haven't heard anyone else mention this. For example, at the psychiatrist office, where after you're done with the visit, the psychiatrist would write an appointment on a card than give it to you than you would go to the front and make the appointment, therefore this guarantee's you keep coming back thus bringing in profits.

This can be the same with dentist and other medical appointments. It's really annoying sometimes, and quite frankly very unconfortable when I have to tell NO and to kick rocks.

Am I the only one who feels this way?
It doesn't make me uncomfortable at all. I've learned I don't need to go through life being a doormat or lead around by a ring in my nose. As part of that process I've also learned how not to be rude about it. If such a pro attempts to steer me into a future appointment I'm not quite sure I need/want, I politely put them off by telling them I need to check my date calendar before committing to anything. I tell them I'll call their office to set up a date/time that works best for me. If I decide I don't need the appointment I never make the call. Usually means I drop off their radar. This is one of many little ways I maintain more control over my own life. Which helps me avoid anxiety, frustration, feeling of powerlessness, etc. Win win.

As for planning things in advance in general, I am a planner, but tend to take the longer term broader view instead of the minute to minute hour to hour nitty gritty. Professionally as well as personally I am best at bigger picture thinking; years over days, decades over years. I am also very visual. As an example, I've always preferred large format desk blotter style calendars that display the entire month at a time over something line by line like a day planner. Seeing the entire month as a whole helps me spread out commitments so they flow better instead of clumping unexpectedly on top of each other. Really helps me not sweat the small stuff.

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-18-2023 at 03:41 PM..

Old 02-18-2023, 04:55 PM

1,393 posts, read 1,272,613 times
I thought I was the only one who has appointment anxiety.
I rescheduled a cat check up appt 3 times. I was just not feeling it at all. I finally went earlier this week and all was well. I worry about driving around with my precious in the car.
Doctors offices too: one called relentlessly, I mean where I never called for an appointment just out of spite for months.
I'm feeling so cruddy I did call last week.
August is the next available appointment. OMG!

Old 02-18-2023, 09:03 PM

20,714 posts, read 16,504,046 times
I do get anxious about too many appointments in a week. For example, I don't like more than a couple things, whether it's a doctor's appt., haircut, or dinner out - one or two things is it or I start to feel stressed or "crowded". Even if I have a couple social things that should be fun, I still wish I could have that time back. Almost like I want my cake and to eat it, to!

But mostly I just don't like having too many things scheduled, because that's on top of work, of course.

Old 02-18-2023, 10:25 PM

12,960 posts, read 9,222,341 times
Interesting older discussion. I wonder if there are at least two different things going on in a lot of these cases. For example, doctor's appointments were mentioned often, but business meetings weren't. I think doctor's appointments are just naturally anxiety inducing because there's only one good thing they can tell you, but a whole lot of bad things. I kind of see that as being different from just having anxiety because of an appointment.

For me, I do prefer having scheduled events at either the beginning or end of the day. Mid-day and early afternoon appointments drive me nuts because they break the day up into unusable chunks and my productivity goes down the tubes. But in those cases, it's more frustration at the loss of productive time than the appointment itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology