Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2023, 12:14 PM

20,770 posts, read 19,992,197 times

Advertisements

old thread, wow.

I am getting a bit antsy if I know I have an appt. in the afternoon. It will be on my mind all day until it happens. Not sure if I would call it anxiety though.

I could work a job that starts in the afternoon because I would not be able to enjoy my mornings, knowing I have to go into work later. I just can't do it. When my work day ends, I feel free to do what I want. If I know I have to go back into work the same day, the time in between would be "ruined" and useless for me.

Responsibility is so engrained in my mind, I cannot let go. That's why I go do my errands or go to the gym right after work. I cannot finish work and then wait, because the whole time I would be antsy.

Same thing with weekends, but I have gotten better. I get antsy if I haven't made plans ahead, I NEED to know what we will do, as far in advance as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2023, 05:42 PM

12,785 posts, read 15,005,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Does anyone have a difficult time staying "calm" if they have some event "planned" later in the day? It could be a party or a doctor's appointment.. just anything where you need to be at a certain place at an exact or approximate time. You may or may not dread the event itself (party vs. doctor visit) but the notion that your "freedom" is limited until you go to the event and get it over causes unnecessary anxiety.

I DO understand that logic, but for me personally, I think I'm a big planner, so I like knowing what I'm going to do each week/month. I still keep my spiral calendar book laid out on my desk where I can view the entire month (not just a week at a time). I have things penciled in, written in ink, highlighted various colors, etc.

I don't get anxious about upcoming things. I'm just glas when they're over like drs' appts, physical therapy appts, especially getting taxes done, etc. But If they're fun events (day trips, etc.), I of course look forward to those & enjoy them when they're happening!

Old 02-24-2023, 10:25 AM

1,093 posts, read 582,816 times
I'm the total opposite. I'm a big planner, so I tend to become uncomfortable when something is beyond my control. Say I have an appointment and then plan to visit somebody afterward. My nature is to give a close estimate when they can expect me, but in this case I have no clue how long the appointment will run so I can't.

Or maybe I want to do three things on Saturday, but one of these is based on someone else's availability and they haven't gotten back to me. Now I can't plan anything and have to wing the entire day.

Stuff like that makes me a little nuts, although I've gotten better about it over the years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology