Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 01:09 AM

314 posts, read 625,923 times

Advertisements

Okay I've been in a situation living with an extremely obsessive and narcissistic roommate who've I've known for many years. Has anyone else encountered this? And what do you think about this?

Here is the scenario. He checks out some great movies and invites me to watch them on occasion. I watch them because I rarely have time to check out DVDs or movies. At the end of nearly every movie he will start describing, explaining, and analyzing in excruciating detail scene for scene in regard to what happened in the movie (as if I were not even there watching it): he will then demand to know if I even understood the movie in a condescending and dogmatic voice. He will get on my case and make scornful facial expressions if he thinks I didn't understand the movie in "the right way". He will also make ugly criticisms like "You have to keep up with the movie in order to understand it." He also talks about movie stars and television characters as if they are his best friends and yells at the TV when the characters get into troubling situations.

In my mind I'm thinking "It's only a movie good or bad. I don't care to argue over it". However, I'm not even permitted to say anything about the movie or he will prove me wrong about some petty minutia.

As soon as the movie ends I will escape to the other side of the house so I don't have to listen to the analyzing and obsessing. I swear it seems like this bozo worships and is addicted to the television set. And yes he throws tantrums and yells at the TV if his favorite football team is losing.

Last edited by furrypro; 06-08-2012 at 01:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 01:20 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times
Move out!

Old 06-08-2012, 08:53 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Sounds like he really loves movies!

Old 06-08-2012, 09:40 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,287,094 times
I would not listen to a minute of that as I see movies for what they are... Pure fantasy, make believe, and tons of exaggeration. Nothing to do with real life.

I prefer to read non-fiction books. Some books I have read about real life stories were also made into a movie. And the author of the book talks about the making of the movie and how Hollywood wanted to change many things and exaggerate things. So even movies about true stories are not for real!

Anyway it does not matter (in my opinion) what is in most movies or what they do. There are a few rare exceptions.

Old 06-08-2012, 05:14 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,799,350 times
Pretend to fall asleep. When he wakes you up, act startled, and apologize for dozing off, then, after a few minutes, doze off again.
After a few sessions of this, he will probably get tired of having to deal with a "slug" like you, and quit boring you with his film analysis.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:13 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times
Just move out. If he's this obsessed over movies it could cause serious problems in the future.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:30 PM

4,661 posts, read 4,973,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by furrypro View Post
Okay I've been in a situation living with an extremely obsessive and narcissistic roommate who've I've known for many years. Has anyone else encountered this? And what do you think about this?

Here is the scenario. He checks out some great movies and invites me to watch them on occasion. I watch them because I rarely have time to check out DVDs or movies. At the end of nearly every movie he will start describing, explaining, and analyzing in excruciating detail scene for scene in regard to what happened in the movie (as if I were not even there watching it): he will then demand to know if I even understood the movie in a condescending and dogmatic voice. He will get on my case and make scornful facial expressions if he thinks I didn't understand the movie in "the right way". He will also make ugly criticisms like "You have to keep up with the movie in order to understand it." He also talks about movie stars and television characters as if they are his best friends and yells at the TV when the characters get into troubling situations.

In my mind I'm thinking "It's only a movie good or bad. I don't care to argue over it". However, I'm not even permitted to say anything about the movie or he will prove me wrong about some petty minutia.

As soon as the movie ends I will escape to the other side of the house so I don't have to listen to the analyzing and obsessing. I swear it seems like this bozo worships and is addicted to the television set. And yes he throws tantrums and yells at the TV if his favorite football team is losing.
Why are you volunteering to be a character in his movie, you know, the one playing in his head where he's the star and everyone else must follow the script or else endure his narcissistic rage?

Find something else to do. Spending even a minute with people like this is too much.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:50 AM

18,527 posts, read 18,748,986 times
buy a telly of your own in another room.. I have the same problem with sport on telly, and theres plenty of that just now.. he had earphones on , dont know what he was listening to.. his laptop screen with football and tennis on the telly. a really thought I was going round the bend. and he would bring me into it knowing full well I cant stand both these sports and have no interest whatsover, but no... he would shout me over to watch a wee bit. and I was bored out my tree... maybe their just all selfish, childish and think we should all share their mundane interests.. still cant complain when we go to Northern Ireland and Ireland he drives me all over to see old graveyards , castles etc and must be bored too ... thats not excusing him though

Old 06-13-2012, 01:44 PM

19,711 posts, read 20,240,448 times
These posts about your roommate are becoming rather amusing, lmao.

Maybe you should integrate a squirt gun into these interactions....

Old 06-13-2012, 10:30 PM

47 posts, read 67,598 times
I had a roomy like this too but I thought it was HILARIOUS!!

He was those walking encyclopedias, and begins every sentence with "dude, bro... " and then some unusual random fact about his job as it relates to a crucial scene in the movie, and how he "knows" why they did what they did because, then about a 20 minute lecture on thermal dynamics and hydraulic fluid.. etc etc

These guys, they're those sorta type of dudes who FILL their head with as much conversation filler as possible, or are just off in la la land. You just gotta know how to impress them unfortunately.

Just laugh about it, laugh "at" him next time he gets all serious. Or do what I do, learn to play a guitar, then while he starts talking, plug it in.. and trust me, he'll see your skillz outweigh his movie knowledge
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology