Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 03:37 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,035,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
I agree. Funny thing is, when you're going through tough times, you find out who your true friends are (or not).

We've become way too reliant on this social networking crap. Pick up the phone.
What if your friend wants to call you, but doesn't have the phone number?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 06:51 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,190,213 times
I agree with others. Facebook is not a good place to vent because, most of the time, the concerned person doesn't say the "right" thing. The right thing is usually what you want to hear. It one of those things where you are damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:54 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
I think Facebook is like real life in sense that most of people that you meet or know are not your close friends. So if you post something negative or bad about your life, only a few people will respond in a supportive manner just like in reality. This is true even if you directly share with a person (like a personal message via FB), someone who is not close to you (emotionally) may simply ignore it and not even bother to respond. As already mentioned people prefer to see positive messages and usually more people respond to positive postings rather than negative ones.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:11 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,873,116 times
I hope facebook has run its course and I don't know why anyone would share anything remotely personal other than expressing their opinion occasionally. Anyone remember when Kony 2012 went viral? I called a bunch of people out for supporting/spreading the message only because it was trendy to do so. I made a few enemies, but I had a good portion of positive support for an in depth discussion I had on a friend's wall post regarding the subject. I still have an active account, but I don't log on any more to check it. I really don't give a damn about 95% of the status updates people post each day and got tired of sifting through so much trash before finding something I could genuinely "like".

It's a narcissists playground for a good majority of folks who are active on it, and then they are the few who actually use it to keep in touch with their real friends.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:52 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,548,617 times
The other day, I was pondering the fact that the two people who most encouraged me to sign up to facebook are the two people who least comment on my posts. Kind of odd.

I think in your case, most people are just uncomfortable with distress? It is a shame and I don't think true friends just look the other way and keep going when someone they call friend is reaching out for help or comfort.

I'm sorry you had to come to the realization that some of the people you thought were friends are merely aquaintances. At least now you know the truth.

I don't think I've gained a whole lot of insight by participating on facebook. For the most part, my assesments of the people in my life haven't changed much since joining FB.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:10 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,831,588 times
I am on Facebook, I use it mostly for forums that buy,sell,trade things in my area. I also have "friends) there. I usually don't participate with the ones I have. I absolutely hate it when some one posts just enough of a story they want you to pry the rest out of them. I refuse to do that. If you want to spill the beans just do it. Why go on it and Post half stories or woes? For pity or attention I guess.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:20 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Do most people respond to "just saying hello" incoming messages from people they know?

I do.

Most people out there are just saying hello or wanting to walk down "memory lane," they're not going to go bonkers on you. I know that some people don't answer these messages from "blasts from the past."

Old 06-13-2012, 12:51 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,410,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
I am on Facebook, I use it mostly for forums that buy,sell,trade things in my area. I also have "friends) there. I usually don't participate with the ones I have. I absolutely hate it when some one posts just enough of a story they want you to pry the rest out of them. I refuse to do that. If you want to spill the beans just do it. Why go on it and Post half stories or woes? For pity or attention I guess.
Exactly. It's not so much a status update as a cue for you to ask, "What's wrong/what happened?" lol

Old 06-13-2012, 01:22 AM

14,776 posts, read 8,109,336 times
You seem like a really nice person, and I am sorry to hear you have been going through so much.
That must be terrible and so hard to deal with. Cyber hugs to you. I hope that things improve for you soon.
But, I wouldn't let the fact that nobody responded bother you too much, my cousin and his wife were in a 4 car
auto accident and I didn't find out about it until almost 3 weeks later (He posted it on Facebook, but I missed the post -
I don't hang around on facebook a lot. A friend died last year, and I didn't even know till a week later when another friend PM'ed me and told me about it. I am just good at missing status updates....but It's not that I don't care, I really, really do.
Maybe that's your friends too?

(It is annoying how some people post really interesting deep things on there, and virtually get ignored, while others post
really goofy crap, and have a hundred people press the like button.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:55 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,789,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
Unfortunately strawberry, real interaction is much harder these days. There are a lot of lonely people out there in an era that is not a good time to be lonely.

I feel for Rob. If he was a friend of mine going through that I'd call him and offer any support that I could.

Thank you dragonborn, that was nice of you to say!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology