Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 09:59 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times

Advertisements

I had to post this, because I am so tired of people saying "the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results." People say and hear this quote so much that they actually BELIEVE that this is the actual definition of insanity. I just heard it again today from a public figure for whom I have a lot of respect, and it really ticked me off, because he was talking about this idea as if this is really what the word "insanity" means. I actually hear this a lot from people- "yeah, that's the actual definition of insanity..."

So I did a little research on this quote which has irked me for some time. It is often attributed to Albert Einstein, but according to several websites, there is no documentary evidence that he ever said or wrote this. Others attribute it to Ben Franklin, but there is also no evidence that he ever said or wrote it. Some sources say the first time the quote is found in a printed work is a book from 1983 called Sudden Death by lesbian feminist writer Rita Mae Brown. Others point out that the quote was in print a few years before that, in the textbooks for AA or NA in 1981. So perhaps Ms. Brown borrowed the quote from "the big book."
Who first said the definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over and expect different results

If you, or someone you are close to is in a 12-step program, this is one of the mantras they repeat, kind of like "one day at a time," "KISS," "you can't heal it till you feel it," and "is there any more coffee?" It might work well as a mantra to give a person strength as they are fighting an addiction, but it's not a "definition" of insanity.

Insanity also does not simply mean "mental illness," and it's not a diagnosis that anyone carries. Maybe way back in the old days, people were labeled "insane" as they were also labeled "mad" or "deranged."

Today, insanity is a legal term, and the definition varies from state to state. But in all 50 states, the definition of insanity includes having a diagnosed mental illness, and not understanding the difference between right and wrong. In some states, it might also include not understanding what is illegal vs. legal, or not recognizing the consequences of one's actions. In all cases, when a person is legally "insane" they are not responsible for their criminal actions and will get treatment rather than incarceration or capital punishment.

But so many people have heard the "doing the same thing over and over..." so much, that they now actually believe that this is the true dictionary definition of "insanity." This was merely a clever quote (whoever first said it) that really said that doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is an illustration of insanity, or an example of being delusional, or the embodiment of craziness. But in using the word "definition" people began to grab onto the idea that this was an actual definition.

If I say "if you look up the word sarcastic in the dictionary, you see a picture of TracySam" that's just a clever saying, to illustrate how TracySam is usually somewhat sarcastic. It does not literally mean that when you turn to that page in Webster's Dictionary, you see my actual photograph.

So please, when you hear this annoying quote, tell people that it's just a clever saying, and not the true definition of "insanity."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 03:44 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,364,258 times
And you would be correct. Fact is, there are many times that doing the same thing over and over WILL eventually yield a different result. Sometimes it takes perseverance to achieve something intended.

I think people tend to default to cliches because they are unimaginative and lazy.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:47 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,547,479 times
You know...I was just starting to use that quote myself. I think I've used it only once, but it's crossed my mind a few times. Funny how these things stick in our minds. Thanks for sharing this information. It was definitely interesting reading.

I also sometimes wonder where sayings originated. Thanks for doing the research on this one!

Old 06-13-2012, 10:04 AM

782 posts, read 1,086,663 times
Definition a insanity = the opposing actions and opinions of everyone else.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:14 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,364,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texabama View Post
Definition a insanity = the opposing actions and opinions of everyone else.

Then I certainly hope to be insane. We are a messed up society. "Everyone else" is fairly lost.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:07 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,572,543 times
I think that insane is closely allied with delusions. Most people I have met that I would term insane live in an imaginary world of their own making. There are all different levels of this from the mildly delusional to the extreme level. This however is only one aspect of insanity. Would you consider a person who sang like a frog croaking but thought they would win American Idol for sure insane??? Maybe and maybe not. Delusional for sure but maybe not really crazy.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:15 AM

936 posts, read 2,060,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I had to post this, because I am so tired of people saying "the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results." People say and hear this quote so much that they actually BELIEVE that this is the actual definition of insanity. I just heard it again today from a public figure for whom I have a lot of respect, and it really ticked me off, because he was talking about this idea as if this is really what the word "insanity" means. I actually hear this a lot from people- "yeah, that's the actual definition of insanity..."

So I did a little research on this quote which has irked me for some time. It is often attributed to Albert Einstein, but according to several websites, there is no documentary evidence that he ever said or wrote this. Others attribute it to Ben Franklin, but there is also no evidence that he ever said or wrote it. Some sources say the first time the quote is found in a printed work is a book from 1983 called Sudden Death by lesbian feminist writer Rita Mae Brown. Others point out that the quote was in print a few years before that, in the textbooks for AA or NA in 1981. So perhaps Ms. Brown borrowed the quote from "the big book."
Who first said the definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over and expect different results

If you, or someone you are close to is in a 12-step program, this is one of the mantras they repeat, kind of like "one day at a time," "KISS," "you can't heal it till you feel it," and "is there any more coffee?" It might work well as a mantra to give a person strength as they are fighting an addiction, but it's not a "definition" of insanity.

Insanity also does not simply mean "mental illness," and it's not a diagnosis that anyone carries. Maybe way back in the old days, people were labeled "insane" as they were also labeled "mad" or "deranged."

Today, insanity is a legal term, and the definition varies from state to state. But in all 50 states, the definition of insanity includes having a diagnosed mental illness, and not understanding the difference between right and wrong. In some states, it might also include not understanding what is illegal vs. legal, or not recognizing the consequences of one's actions. In all cases, when a person is legally "insane" they are not responsible for their criminal actions and will get treatment rather than incarceration or capital punishment.

But so many people have heard the "doing the same thing over and over..." so much, that they now actually believe that this is the true dictionary definition of "insanity." This was merely a clever quote (whoever first said it) that really said that doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is an illustration of insanity, or an example of being delusional, or the embodiment of craziness. But in using the word "definition" people began to grab onto the idea that this was an actual definition.

If I say "if you look up the word sarcastic in the dictionary, you see a picture of TracySam" that's just a clever saying, to illustrate how TracySam is usually somewhat sarcastic. It does not literally mean that when you turn to that page in Webster's Dictionary, you see my actual photograph.

So please, when you hear this annoying quote, tell people that it's just a clever saying, and not the true definition of "insanity."
It's not really a definition of "insanity", though it is a really apt definition of "neurosis". And the examples people have of insanity are often more neurotic than psychotic or delusional (although delusion can also be considered a mainfestation of neurosis).

Old 06-22-2012, 05:32 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,814,161 times
The definition of sanity is being insane and knowing it. Insanity is being insane and not knowing it. There is also reckless disregard for reality- it's called ignorance..that is another form of insanity. You know whats going on and you ignore the reality that your selfishness may be disapproved of. Greed or hoarding is a form of insanity..For a person to accumulate more material wealth than they could use in ten life times...and continue to hoard with no real or good purpose in mind...GREED is like a pig that is eating..it is so full it can not breathe - it is vomiting- there is leakage out the rear end- and it continues to eat...This eating no longer supports life but encourages the arrival of death- that is insanity.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:32 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,280,752 times
My standards are if a person's actions are harmful to themselves or other people. And along with that, if a person is not functioning in society (taking care of their own needs).

Someone once told me, the difference between someone normal and someone who is "nuts", is the normal person may think about doing something harmful to themselves or other people, but not do it. A person who is nuts actually does something harmful. And the harmful action would be something which leaves most people shaking their heads - saying "Why would a person do that?"

Old 06-22-2012, 08:56 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
Okay, now we are getting into people's personal "definitions" of insanity. That's fine, but just keep in mind that none of these is the official definition of insanity any more than "doing the same thing over and over." I can say "insanity is people who think Fifty Shades is good literature" but that's not an actual definition.

The mental health world does not use the term "insane" and its only official use is in criminal law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology