Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does society dislike and/or discriminate against introverts?
Yes 100 84.75%
No 18 15.25%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 09:08 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times

Advertisements

We're a social species so I think it's expected that as being part of a community you will mix with others. This is probably the case in all societies over the world. It seems that being an introvert is probably easier NOW than anytime in the past. I mean what with all the nerdy things you can do alone, computer/video games, reading books.etc. I still think that being a loner or preferring to spend time alone is often looked down upon: for instance, many people think it's weird if someone goes to a movie or to a nightclub on their own.

I think more people are accepting of introversion as a personality trait, but there certainly is peer pressure to hang out with other people, whether that be at work, in a casual context.etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 09:14 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,855,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
We're a social species so I think it's expected that as being part of a community you will mix with others. This is probably the case in all societies over the world. It seems that being an introvert is probably easier NOW than anytime in the past. I mean what with all the nerdy things you can do alone, computer/video games, reading books.etc. I still think that being a loner or preferring to spend time alone is often looked down upon: for instance, many people think it's weird if someone goes to a movie or to a nightclub on their own.

I think more people are accepting of introversion as a personality trait, but there certainly is peer pressure to hang out with other people, whether that be at work, in a casual context.etc.
Dear god yes. Many times I'm asked to go to outings with people I work with. Many times I make excuses not to see them. I already work with them.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:42 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,369,263 times
I can't believe I'm still the only one who has said NO. Half the people out there are introverts. Half the population is not discriminated upon for this personality trait.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:47 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,272,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
(speaking from an American perspective here)

If you are an introvert, do you feel like society dislikes and/or discriminates against introverts? By discriminate, I mean that introversion is seen as weird or deviant in some ways. This is not meant to be construed as an anti-extroversion thread.

Not all introverts have poor social skills, nor are they anti-social. For example, I deal with people all day as part of my job, but when I come home I like to relax and do my own thing instead of going out to bars, etc.

The reason why I asked is because I've noticed how society seems to prefer extroverted individuals as opposed to introverted individuals, if given a choice. You see this all the time on dating sites, job applications, etc.

I believe about 99.9999% of the worlds population couldn't give a toss, they're too busy worrying about their own lives.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:28 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Biology, life itself, discriminates against the meek. It is the aggressive people who always set the agendas for everyone else, they force others to react to them. Introverts spend their lives reacting/escaping rather than acting, and are passive prisoners of, or refugees from, the dynamics created by the aggressive.

In nature the aggressive species shove aside the less aggressive.
Actually that would be the perception of an extravert. Introverts are not meek, so much as don't care what they are supposed to be or do. Push and those of us who are not meek will push back, but we won't seek out the extroverts who 'make the rules' to tell they they don't follow them. The idea is the disdane of just plain not careing what someone with delusions of glory and authority thinks are 'the rules' is far from 'meek' and far more telling. The meek will scurry off and try to be good. The true introvert will just walk away and go about their business.

INTJ... the I 100 percent

Old 06-14-2012, 02:46 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post

The program I was in that helped with housing prior to getting disability had the requirement that you had to 'socialize'. So we went out and took the bus and 'socialized'. My version was holled up in the corner reading a book, saying nothing to anyone and leaving in an hour. I don't object to being around people. I'd just rather they be strangers. I do object to having to. Fortunately my physical presence was sufficent.

People who are not do not get it at all. On the other hand, I don't really care so long as they shut up and leave me alone. When you really trust yourself as being you, the peer pressure is nil since it has to matter for it to effect you.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:24 AM

360 posts, read 982,662 times
Definitely.

If you are looking to gain admission in the Ivy Leagues, you would have realised just how much emphasis they place on being all-rounded such as possessing leadership qualities and excellent communication skills, traits that are usually possessed by extroverts.

Likewise for prestigious and high-flying careers such as investment banking.

But unlike their extroverted counterparts, introverts have a gift for being good listeners and advisers to those who are going through tough times and are good at analysing issues from a critical standpoint. So i'd say they are just as, if not more capable than the extroverts.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:32 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,732,593 times
I think all of us have seen how extroverts get chosen and/or elected here for things endlessly, even in the face of being totally dingy and not exactly the brightest armadillos in the desert.

American culture pushes the myth that boisterous, outgoing people are somehow smarter, even in the face of clear proof they're not. Anyone who can make quick quips, is unembarrassed, promotes him/herself, and insists that they're #1, gets adoring reactions, and, boy, if they tell jokes (even awful ones), oooh, they get POP-U-LAR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I know someone (on the border of friend/acquaintance) who is a card-carrying P.E. (professional engineer). He works in a governmental agency. He works in a cluster with other engineers. There was an opening several years ago for someone who would lead this work group. It turns out that this brassy blonde (WITHOUT a degree) was selected to be the group leader. Why? She was extroverted, had her fingers in all the pies, and worked hard to overcompensate for her lack of education and professional expertise.

Granted, I don't think my friend would have made an effective manager. However, I am sure they were others who were other professional engineers who could have led up this group. It turns out she was terrible. Eventually, a Hispanic man with a PE became his boss.

Some job categories should automatically shut out people who don't have the right education. I couldn't imagine having a specific education and reporting to someone who doesn't have that, at least in a setting where it's the norm.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:27 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,792,126 times
We are definitely looked down on. Being an introvert has really hurt my career, relationships with women, etc. I feel like its a fault, though I know it isn't. I just haven't figured out how to be effective as an introvert. I think I'm just now learning how to deal with having this personality, but its very hard for me.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:38 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,979,129 times
I don't believe that introverts get discriminated against...it's just that extraverts so endlessly self promote and put themselves out there that they get picked for promotions/whatever else more often because they're seen more. Being an introvert myself I can tell whatever clueless poster that said "introverts are weak and meek" they are dead wrong. Introversion has NOTHING to do with "weakness." Only an extravert would think that. Some introverts are meek I'm sure but the two aren't related.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology